Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Front window (lexan)protectant?

I'm storing my trailer outside, and am wondering if 303 Aerospace Protectant would be helpful for the front wraparound windows? I seem to recall that Fantastic Fan recommends that product for their "plastic."

No, I can't store my rig inside!
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Well.
Does anyone know if 303 Aerospace protectant is HARMFUL to Airstream's front plastic windows?
Spot
Old 06-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
US Plastic Corp

Lexan ® Polycarbonate Cleaning Instructions
Article Title: Lexan ® Polycarbonate Cleaning Instructions
Article Summary: Lexan cleaning and scratch removal
Article Date: 3/31/2009
Article ID: 573
Share This:
Lexan ® Polycarbonate Cleaning Instructions
When Lexan sheet is first installed, glazing compound and masking paper adhesive can be easily removed by applying naphtha (VM &P) or kerosene with a soft cloth, followed immediately with a thorough soap and water cleaning. DO NOT USE GASOLINE. Adherence to regular and proper cleaning procedures is recommended to preserve appearance.

Washing to minimize Scratching
Wash Lexan Sheet with a mild soap or detergent (e.g., Joy** dishwashing liquid) and lukewarm water using a clean sponge or a soft cloth. Rinse well with clean water. Dry thoroughly with a chamois or moist cellulose sponge to prevent water spots. Do not scrub or use brushes on these products: their coating is UV-resistant, not mar-resistant.

Fresh paint splashes, grease, and smeared glazing compounds can be removed easily before drying by rubbing lightly with a grade of VM&P Naphtha or isopropyl. Afterward, a warm final wash should be made, using a mild soap or detergent solution and ending with a thorough rinsing with clean water.

Minimizing Hairline Scratches
Scratches and minor abrasions can be minimized by using a mild automobile polish. Four such products that tend to polish and fill scratches are Johnson Paste Wax, Novus Plastic Polish #1 and #2 (Novus Inc., Minneapolis, MN), Mirror Glaze plastic polish(m.G.M10 – Mirror bright Polish Co., Pasadena, CA), and Plexus* (B.T.I. Chemical, Aguora, CA). It is suggested that a test be made on a sample of Lexan sheet with the product selected and that the polish manufacturer's instructions be followed.

Some Important "Don'ts"
- DO NOT use abrasive or highly alkaline cleaners on Lexan sheet products.
- Never scrape Lexan sheet products with squeegees, razor blades or other sharp instruments.
- Benzene, gasoline, acetone, or carbon tetrachloride should never be used on Lexan sheet products.
- DO NOT clean Lexan sheet products in hot sun or at elevated temperatures.

Compatible Cleaners for Lexan Sheet Products
The following cleaning agents have been found compatible with Lexan sheet. The manufacturer's recommendations and instructions should be followed.
- Joy**
- Freon T.F.
- Palmolive liquid***
- Top Job**
- VM&P grade Naphtha
- Windex with Ammonia D****

Lexan MR10 Sheet Cleaning Instructions
Because this material is highly mar- and UV-resistant coating, avoid the use of abrasive cleaners and/or cleaning implements that may mar or gouge the coating.
Graffiti Removable for Lexan MR10 Sheet
- Butyl Cellosolve works well for removal of paints, marking pen inks, lipstick, etc.
- Masking tape, adhesive tape, or lint removal tools work well for lifting off old weathered paints.
- To remove label stickers, etc. The use of kerosene or VM&P Naphtha is generally effective. When the solvent will not penetrate sticker
material apply heat (hair dryer) to soften the adhesive and promote removal. GASOLINE SHOULD NEVER BE USED.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Unless things have changed, the window guards are Plexiglas, not Lexan Polycarbonate.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Hmmm, makes sence plexiglass is much cheaper than Lexan but Airstream does not skimp on materials for the most part. Anyway Im in the process of rebuilding my rockguard using 1/8" dark grey Lexan and the material is not cheap but touted to be very durable. The removed plastic in mine did act more like plexi but I thought it was the 25 years in the elements(sun).
Hope im not hyjacking OPs thread.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I will be using lexan when I replace mine. Got a few star cracks. To OP, 303 didn't hurt my plexiglass, but it does make streaks, which are visible from inside. 303 isn't made to be an optical treatment. Why are you worried about UV? Plexiglas lasts longer in the sun than road stones permit anyway. I have used auto wax on mine, just to make the bugs come off easier.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Thanks, gents.
Given the power of the summer sun here in Tucson, I'm just trying to be proactive with the exterior or my trailer. As the Fantastic Fan folks recommend 303 for the vent covers, I have wondered if Airstream's front window shields would also benefit.
Spot
Old 06-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Thanks, gents.
Given the power of the summer sun here in Tucson, I'm just trying to be proactive with the exterior or my trailer. As the Fantastic Fan folks recommend 303 for the vent covers, I have wondered if Airstream's front window shields would also benefit.
Spot
I have not experienced, nor heard here, of any sun related issues with the window covers. The FF covers are plastic and not Plexiglas.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
I replaced the front window of my 1965 globetrotter with lexan over the weekend and it looks great. It broke while driving back to TX from PA last month when a sheet a snow slid off the top of my truck and went right through the back window lol. It looks great, and I'm glad to have lexan vs the single pane for strength going forward. I installed it the same way you'd install glass and so far so good. Time will tell.
davek is offline   Reply With Quote