Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
1963 19' Globetrotter
Huntsville , Alabama
Front window for '49 trailwind

i am on the hunt for a front window for our trailwind. it's made out of plexi glass and over the years it has just fogged over and has little cracks all the way through it. i checked lowz and they didn't have one...haha. anyhow, if someone comes across this and has a lead i would appreciate it. notice in this picture that the we removed the pipe frame and it's laying on the ground.
thanks-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	benandgary.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	573.4 KB
ID:	68718  
Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
You have a '49? Way Cool! Try contacting a local glass shop and see if they can get you a piece of UV treated Lexan. It's pretty easy to cut to fit with a jig saw. A piece that size shouldn't run more than $50. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
i am on the hunt for a front window for our trailwind. it's made out of plexi glass and over the years it has just fogged over and has little cracks all the way through it. i checked lowz and they didn't have one...haha. anyhow, if someone comes across this and has a lead i would appreciate it. notice in this picture that the we removed the pipe frame and it's laying on the ground.
thanks-
I have 50 Flying Cloud and have the rounded rear as I am sure yours is. I would think your front and back are identical. If you take out the window, just about any glass company would have plexiglass and could cut your shape to match your old window. You can even cut your own plexiglass.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
1963 19' Globetrotter
Huntsville , Alabama
thanks for the suggestions. i went a picked up .125 plexi and traced the old one on top of the new and starting making my cuts. i used a circular saw with a multi-purpose disc due to the fact that i tried to cut it with a jig saw with no luck. once i got the pieces close i took them down to the trailer today and fitted them on sight. took me a couple hrs a piece so i am glad that is done. i'll post some pics tomorrow. thanks again!
Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to CapnTom
Benjo, I have a 1950 AS Liner and need to replace my front and back windows. By chance do you remember the thickness of the original plexi that was in your 49 Tradewind? I don't have my original windows. Thanks, Tom

CapnTom

WBCCI/VAC #2453
AIR #35123
TCT

USAVTN
1950 Liner 22'
2004 Land Yacht 30 SL
2004 Chevy Avalanche

CapnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
FYI, I have found the Lexan is cuttable (using a skill saw) but plexiglass will crack when trying to cut it.

Also, the first mistake I made was using the plexiglass that was in the window when I got it as a pattern. This piece was not well done and did not fit well. I should have checked this.

Also, though the window is oval, my window is not symetric. I guess who ever did it just eyed it and did the best. It is not realy noticable, until you cut the Lexan and find out it still does not fit.

I ended up having my wife hold the Lexan up against the trailer while I traced it from the inside.

Hope this save you some money and cutting and aggravation.

Also let me add that the rear window is also your fire escape. However you secure it, make sure that a good kick from the weakest in your trailer can dislodge the glass. It will be hard to break this from the outside given the curve and thickness of the plexi.

Gene
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote