Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Fogged door window.

Hi, My trailer has a fogged door window glass. You cannot see through it. But for the first time in over six years, while sitting at my fold-out table the glare from the Sun was blinding me. So what have any of you done to your window? Or any ideas that you might have, but didn't get around to doing? I have considered all but # (6.) If you can, please post pictures.

(1.) Make a curtain for it.

(2.) Have reflective film installed.

(3.) Put a pull down shade on it.

(4.) Hang a picture over it.

(5.) Replace or cover it with stained glass.

(6.) Cover it with card board, aluminum foil, or bubble insulation.

(7.) Or just leave it as is.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Robert go to walmart and then go to the hardware and then go to the CONTACT paper and then look down and pick out the 'CLEAR' type contact (it is not really clear like des. says...it is frosted.) There are other types of contact too.
To get it on the glass from the outside, you pre cut with an exacto blade the amount you need with some hanging over and on a clean surface peal the backing off and lay flat -sticky side up.
Then take some cheap window cleaner...or the foam type spray window cleaner and cover the sticky side along with your fingers.
Have the glass ready and clean to receive the application. Apply it and slide it around til it's where it s supposed to sit, Take one of your credit cards or IdS and squeegie the moisture down and out. and smooth out any bubbles. You don't have to get ALL the moisture as it will eventually dry by the suns light etc. wind.
ALSO Fox lumber and some of the Larger hardwaree companies have a glueless stained glass windows you can do the same way. When you done or need to remove this contact paper it will come right off generally well.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't know what's best for you, but it sounds like you have 6 years to figure it out. You could appoint a committee—they'll take several years to make a recommendation. Whatever you do will have to fit between the door and the screen door—that leaves out a curtain, shade or picture.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
We haven't had this problem in our 25B because the sofa is positioned so that we haven't been blinded while sitting.

But---in our Bambi it was a real problem because the street side dinette bench could really end up in a pool of sunshine.

In the Bambi I solved the problem by purchasing some snaps and shade material from a company that sells supplies to make shade wraps for the outside windows of ones trailer or rv. Using those supplies I made a removable shade for both that window and for the back window that we used to leave open with a custom wood prop that Pete made so we could have air flow (but there wasn't a screen on that window since it was an emergancy exit only).

RV Shades - EZ Snap RV Shades - EZ Snap Direct

Good luck solving your problem,

Cathy
Cathy&Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Now that's it light out and I can see the door, the idea of snaps and some material around the window frame makes sense.

Other ideas, not necessarily useful, paint the window, put out the awning. We had the same thing happen this year, but we waited for the sun to move and put something on the dinette table that didn't reflect the light in our eyes, or wear sunglasses for a while. I favor option 7, do nothing.

By the way, the frosted glass doesn't hide what's just inside it very well. If the lights are on inside and it's fairly dark outside, you can see what's on the other side in a blurry way.

Gene
Old 10-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
8. Post it notes?
9. Move ... or wait 15 minutes?
10. Open the door? (makes no sense...)

I use the blind behind the sink so infrequently and still haven't been parked in an orientation where I close it with any regularity. Don't recall if I've had this specific problem with either this window or the door window. Does this happen when you are parked in one site long-term?

I'd want any solution to be minimal size while I store it for the intervening five years -- that rules out installing a blind or hanging a picture. Cathy's suggestion makes some sense.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
there is a spray used for frosting such things as bathroom windows. if they still make it, the glare should be reduced. i'd guess that if it didn't work out a razor blade should remove it.

sample: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...5RwwuJJBdK5Y4=
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Some more:

Have Lee stand in front of the window.
Contact paper.
Duct tape.
Take a nap.

I guess I'm not taking this seriously enough.

Gene
Old 10-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Six years go by and this thing just starts bothering you now? Could be the beginning of the seven year itch. Everything was going just fine and now you are starting to get a little cranky about it. Short term solutions might be close your eyes and hum a song and see if it goes away. Or sunglasses. The more moderate solutions you have already outlined. If you think it is a severe problem, turn the trailer around. Last resort is Airstream Counseling which can be quite costly but if it saves your relationship, the money is well spent considering all the money we have already put into them...

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Good point Carol.

I'm with Gene. Anybody know a miniprocessor-run electric eye to turn on my lights if I should happen to be camping where there's a total eclipse?

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, so far, of course, I have read all of your responses. Here are some of my thoughts.

(1.) Fogging the windows more, might not do anything.

(2.) You, [Cathy & Pete] reminded me that I remodeled my living room so, among other things, I can see clearly through my front and curb side windows and my entrance door when it is open. This was when we were boondocking at camp-no-hook-ups and the rising Sun was hard on my morning eyes.

(3.) I sort of like the screen idea, but I would put it inside of the door window.

(4.) Still, it only happened once, so maybe I do need counseling or something. [Carol]

(5.) Lee said it would be me standing in front of the window. [Gene]

(6.) I wasn't going to go to 10 [CanoeStream] since I just got back from my daughter's wedding on 10/10/10; Enough tens for a while.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Morning eyes, you didn't mention before that you had morning eyes. This combined with boondocking and no hookups does not signify the seven year itch. Now that we have all the facts I would presume it fits more in the age related category. It is very common, little things will just start to annoy you now. There is no cure.

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote