Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Fixed Window Leak Problems

As most of you know, the fixed windows especially the vista view windows are a problem on the 70's + Airstreams. I don't have the latter but I do have a BIG fixed window to the right of the door. I have leaks in this window that leak between the inner and outer skin and I also have leaks between the panes.

These leaks are somewhat related. My hidden leak was on the inside of the frame where the two halves meet. The way the frame is made, this is the only place the leak can happen to get inside. There is a channel that fills with water and if the caulking is bad at that seam, you will get a leak. Here are some photos. If that seam had been on the sides, instead of the top and bottom, this leak probably would not have occured. I expect I have a similar leak at the inside corner of my wing windows.

That gray gasket is designed to leak and that is why there are weep holes to let water out. My windows have no such weep hole but I bet they are made of the same extrusion the this window is made from. Since the gray gasket sticks up it is hard to seal it and make it look nice. I have though about trimming the gasket flush with the window frame and making a fillet with Vulkem.

Perry

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I cut that grey gasket out of my wing windows and resealed with vulkem...leak gone!

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Did you just cut it flush with the frame? How did you cut the gasket. Mine is pretty tough and hard at this point.

Perry
Old 01-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
I cut that grey gasket out of my wing windows and resealed with vulkem...leak gone!
Here's what I discovered when I tried to fix my wing windows.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...aks-65939.html

On my Overlander I cut the gasket flush with the frame and then vulkem'd along the cut. This worked mechanically, eg, the vulkem looked good and seemed to last. However, it did not fix the leak(s). I never did figure out how the water was getting into the windows. I mean, 4" of water inside, fer chrisake.

Zep
Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I just did that and am in the process of caulking right now.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114
Did you just cut it flush with the frame? How did you cut the gasket. Mine is pretty tough and hard at this point.

Perry
On my wing windows, I used a razor sharp knife to cut the gasket out on the outside between the frame and glass. I filled the cavity with Vulkem Sealant to make it resemble the old cut out gasket.
I scraped out the seam around the window between frame and trailer, and filled it with Vulkem Sealant.
I mashed Vulkem into the corner seams manually and cleaned up.

No more leaks.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That is what I just did. I think it looks pretty good. We will see what happens during the next big rain. I am being a little more methodical about thing now that we won't be camping for a few months. The rear of the trailer seems to be tight.

I wonder what surprises I will find on the left front side. I have not seen any leaks there but I expect there are some. I have some strange hybrid windows on the left front side. There is a pop out window in the top and a vista view hotdog shaped window at the bottom. There are two of these combos side by side. The hotdog windows are coming apart inside. The gum tape is sagging real bad on one of them. The two windows are mounted in one big frame and that frame is riveted to the skin. I don't know how the hotdog window is held in there. There are no rivets holding it in. It would be cool if it would come out without a major hassel so they can be rebuilt. Anyone have much experience with the hotdog windows at the bottom of the pop out windows?

Perry
Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Your thread is showing an inner and outer frame. My fixed window has only one frame and the only way to get the glass out intact is to drill out the two rivets on the top and bottom that hold the two frame halves together. I expect my wing windows are made the same but I have not deconstructed that far yet.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Here's what I discovered when I tried to fix my wing windows.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...aks-65939.html

On my Overlander I cut the gasket flush with the frame and then vulkem'd along the cut. This worked mechanically, eg, the vulkem looked good and seemed to last. However, it did not fix the leak(s). I never did figure out how the water was getting into the windows. I mean, 4" of water inside, fer chrisake.

Zep
Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
BTW, here's a post that shows two methods of skinning over the wing windows. UWE likes the line that doesn't meet at the bottom corner. I like them both.

AEROWOOD suggested not cutting the panel at all and making the top joint flush instead of overlapped. Maybe just little bit too hard for us amateurs, since there are some subtle wrinkles in the dome and it would be hard to get a good, flat joint.

Zep
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is a before and after sealing. This was all done freehand. Yeah it was messy but I don't think it took anymore time to do than trying to tape it. I was able to clean up the edges a bit with a razor blade while it was still wet. Trempro 635 has a real long working time especially when it is 50 degrees outside.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is another thread talking about fixed window leaks as well. I posted some 3D models of window frames over there.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...s-86615-2.html

Perry