Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
De-rusting window crank assembly

Hey all!

I took off the whole window crank assembly from our '67 Tradwind. They still are all intact and work fine, but the whole gadget was rusted to the window clip. Soooo, I want to either clean them or get new ones...any suggestions on how to clean them up? How does one do this?? Can I just drop them in some magic potion and they'll come out all clean?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windowcrankassy0001.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	14080  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Naval Jelly

Wear rubber or vinyl gloves and use naval jelly on the rusted parts. I salvaged a nice Sears clipper that I had dropped behind plants in a flower bed and had laid for a full year rusting. The naval jelly is mean stuff, but the clipper is now just as shiny as a new tool.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rivet

I agree with John, Naval Jelly is best at removing rust like that. If you want to amaze yourself, and at the same time wonder what you are drinking, take that window crank and put it in a container of fresh Coke, it will take the rust off like the naval jelly, it just takes longer.

I also use Coke to disolve the corrosion on battery cable ends in cars and trucks. I amaze and horrify the kids at work with that trick.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Cleaning Rust Off Window Crank Assy

Ingrid, I Just Cleaned All Of Mine (67' Safari) Sunday Using Clr And Then Sos Pads And Elbow Grease. They Came Out Real Shiney And Clean And You Can Even Read All The Printing On The Top Covers That Say: Philips Industries Inc. Dayton, Ohio. Fyi... I Will Be Spraying On Some Clear Coat To Keep Future Rust At Bay!....Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Any suggestions on cleaning the cranks on a 78 Argosy that don't work. Looks like corrision on them and not necessarily rust. They are still on the trailer, so this may be tricky. I have replacements for some of them, but getting these old ones off is confusing.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:50 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Any suggestions on cleaning the cranks on a 78 Argosy that don't work. Looks like corrision on them and not necessarily rust. They are still on the trailer, so this may be tricky. I have replacements for some of them, but getting these old ones off is confusing.
These are a two-part design, with the part that turns and latches the windows pivoting within a sleeve that attaches to the window frame.
A few drops of penetrating oil will help both the locking cam (on the chrome handle) and the pivot. The oil for the pivot will go between the sleeve and the latch. Work it back and forth a few times, and wipe up any excess lube that dripped out. They should then function almost as good as they did when new.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

How many times have we cleaned something up just to find we have to replace, after all. The above suggestions are great but depending on the price of replacement parts it may be cheaper to just replace them. Considering the cost of cleaners, paint and new screws not to mention disposable like gloves tape etc, and your time. Ingid, What do the replacement parts cost.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
How many times have we cleaned something up just to find we have to replace, after all. The above suggestions are great but depending on the price of replacement parts it may be cheaper to just replace them. Considering the cost of cleaners, paint and new screws not to mention disposable like gloves tape etc, and your time. Ingid, What do the replacement parts cost.
I wasn't aware replacement parts for these were available - How about the window clips that these units pull the window in by? I need several of these but don't know where to find them....Ingrid, all I did with mine as free them up with penetrating oil and reinstalled them. I figured so long as they were oiled I'd be the only one who knew how ugly they were underneath!
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
My son-in-law sold all of the window latches on eBay from a '68 Ambassador he parted out. Lowest price he got for them was $44 each, so I suggest cleaning and salvaging the existing latches if possible. I don't know of a source for these other than eBay. I believe there are some listed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
I wasn't aware replacement parts for these were available - How about the window clips that these units pull the window in by? I need several of these but don't know where to find them!
Window clips are available from Inland RV...part #91465. Pricey, but available.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:18 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Window clips are available from Inland RV...part #91465. Pricey, but available.
Thanks, Rog, I'll check them out! Diane
Old 01-16-2006, 11:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Inland RV clips May Not Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
Thanks, Rog, I'll check them out! Diane
I just received a shipment from Inland RV of 5 of these window clips for my 67 Overlander. I'm trying to figure out why the space where the clip attaches to the glass is so much larger than the originals. The factory clips are attached flush and firmly to the glass. Inland's replacement clips will not stay on without some kind of thick gasket material OR loads of sealant. If I go with these new clips they will look noticably different than the originals.

Waiting to hear the verdict from Inland. Should be interesting....
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:19 AM   #12
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
window clips

Here's a quote from Inland Andy on a different thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
You can also squeeze the clip to narrow it's thickness, to fit the window without the metal frame, or use a cork shim or double sided tape.
All of the above solves the problem.
Andy
source: http://www.airforums.com/forum...reply&p=189244

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Andy's clips are designed to fit metal-framed windows. You could return them, but unless you make your own as another member (Moogie32?) did, his clips are the only option currently available.

I ran into a similar situation while replacing a broken, metal-framed acrylic window with a frameless Lexan version. Small pieces of the broken acrylic window were cut into shim-sized pieces, and used to fill the space.

It worked well, and does not look that bad.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
... Can I just drop them in some magic potion and they'll come out all clean?
Possibly

Spraying the parts with brake cleaner will remove the old grease. Then, soaking the parts in oxalic acid will remove the rust with minimal effort.

Ace Hardware sells oxalic acid crystals as "Wood Bleach". Do a forum search on "oxalic acid", and you will find the thread where NickCrowhurst recommended it's use to me for a different rust issue. The results were great!

Tom
Old 01-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
... and does not look that bad.
In retrospect, "that bad" is rather subjective.

I never took any pictures that highlight the oversized clips I used, but a picture of them was posted in another thread that casually shows them installed. In the pic, my Number 1 son is pointing out the gap at the bottom of my one Lexan window to Eljay.

Tom
Old 01-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
window clips

Tom W, The clips sold by Andy at Inland were manufactured to fit over their scratch resist Lexan windows w/ their frames installed. However, I used them on my new glass from Vintage Trailer Supply by putting bedding tape on the glass and then the new clips. the bedding tape filled the gap fine and they are firmly installed on the glass. Hope this helps you and J B. I don't believe that Steve at VTS has added the clips to their inventory yet. I do know that they were looking at adding them last fall.... Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:32 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Andy's clips are designed to fit metal-framed windows. You could return them, but unless you make your own as another member (Moogie32?) did, his clips are the only option currently available.

I ran into a similar situation while replacing a broken, metal-framed acrylic window with a frameless Lexan version. Small pieces of the broken acrylic window were cut into shim-sized pieces, and used to fill the space.

It worked well, and does not look that bad.

Tom
Hi SierraJB - As Tom mentioned I did end up making my own clips out of some spare steel I found in the garage. Since many of the original clips on my Safari are in somewhat deplorable condition some home-made ones don't really catch your eye! I checked out Inland's clips and realized I'd have to do some adjustments to get them to work properly and cheapness ultimately got the better of me! I don't know how to link a thread but if you search my '67 Safari renovation you'll find instructions on how I made the clips in there somewhere. Good luck! Diane
Old 01-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
squeeze those babies with a pair of pliers!!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:16 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Nylon window stop replacements

All of the nylon window stops on the sides of the frames in my '72 Int'l Ambassador have the bottommost sockets broken off, and the ones above are hardened and good to go. Are replacements available for these?
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
What about the "e" clip?

I have a 68 Tradewind and one of my windows crank (out) arm doesn't work. It looks like it's missing an "e" clip. Any idea how to find a replacement?
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote