Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
D-gasket size

Hello, can anyone tell me what size the d-gasket( height really) is for the windows on a 69 overlander, I have the original gasket in there (which is squashed pretty flat) and have no hope of finding it in Europe but I will probably have more luck with the d gasket, any help always appreciated, thanks.
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
seal/gasket

mrgreen, Check both InlandRV.com and VintageTrailerSupply.com they each have window gasket/seals that will work on your door and windows. Inland has a parts sale on right now FYI. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
He wants to know the width and height of the gasket so he can get some locally which makes sense to me.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
The 'D' style EDPM rubber seals are quite forgiving in terms of clearance
in the closed position, but some space is obviously needed. If you're concerned, you can measure the clearance with some modeling clay, plumbers putty or other material that sticks to the surface and doesn't spring back when squished. Roll it into a cylinder and place it in a section where the failed gasket has been removed. Close the door or window, making sure that it comes to the normal closed position... then open and measure the height of the clay.

I cannot find proper sizing criteria for D gaskets - but sizing them so they have at least 10% squeeze and not more than 60 to 70% seems to work about right. This gives one a wide working range, which is why I think they're quite popular. Width of course is determined by the space on the window or window frame (gaskets can go in either location).

On our trailer, I've used 5/16" thick D profile EDPM gasket with good success. Make sure to use 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive to glue it in place; the peel and stick adhesive that may be supplied on the gasket is inadequate.

hope this helps -

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How do you get the adhesive off the rubber? You don't want to put adhesive over that sticky tape or that will come loose.

Perry
Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
How do you get the adhesive off the rubber? You don't want to put adhesive over that sticky tape or that will come loose.

Perry
Sorry Perry, but if the black super weatherstrip adhesive made by 3M, is used, it will not allow the gasket to get loose let alone fail.

It has not happened yet over several years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am talking about not putting adhesive over the pressure sensitive adhesive that comes on some weather stripping. I would think that putting the 3M adhesive directly on the rubber would be best. So the stuff with the sticky already on it is not what you want?

Perry
Old 03-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I am talking about not putting adhesive over the pressure sensitive adhesive that comes on some weather stripping. I would think that putting the 3M adhesive directly on the rubber would be best. So the stuff with the sticky already on it is not what you want?

Perry
Peryy.

I can only tell you that not one person has reported a failure by leaving the white tape in place, and applying the adhesive to it.

Even Airstream installs it that way.

Andy
Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
The black EDPM I've been using (designed for automotive use, available locally) has a white paper strip that peels off, and then just a sticky side. I apply 3M to the window edge, let it dry a bit, and then apply the rubber gasket, being careful not to stretch or pull on it so it lays down flat. I start at the center of the bottom and go around gluing it down until it meets up; I trim it to final length and let it dry. The only tricky part is peeling the paper tape in such a way that it or I don't touch the black 3M goo - that's sticky stuff!

I find xylene, a plastic scraper and a fine stainless brush (like one uses for TIG welding aluminum) to work in getting the old gasket off... but it's still a PITA.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
The black EDPM I've been using (designed for automotive use, available locally) has a white paper strip that peels off, and then just a sticky side. I apply 3M to the window edge, let it dry a bit, and then apply the rubber gasket, being careful not to stretch or pull on it so it lays down flat. I start at the center of the bottom and go around gluing it down until it meets up; I trim it to final length and let it dry. The only tricky part is peeling the paper tape in such a way that it or I don't touch the black 3M goo - that's sticky stuff!

I find xylene, a plastic scraper and a fine stainless brush (like one uses for TIG welding aluminum) to work in getting the old gasket off... but it's still a PITA.

- Bart
The easiest way to remove old gaskets, is to pull the old material off. If it's stubborn, then cut the rest off with a razor knife.

What remains can then very easily be removed using a small wire wheel in an electric or air drill, by just burnishing it off.

No chemicals needed.

Well maybe, just a beer, with a couple of "atta boys".

Andy
Old 03-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
will it work?

i found this d seal does anyone have an opinion of whether it will work, gotta say i'm a bit nervous as the stuff aint cheap!

Name:   gummi profil.PNG
Views: 502
Size:  9.5 KB
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
"D" gasket

mrgreen, Are those measurements in centimeters? Just kidding! LOL! I have some leftover gasket from Airstream in my trailer. I will go out tomorrow after work and see what it measures. Stay Tuned... More to come! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote