Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Ingrid,
Hope this helps...look for your mail toward the end of the week...Ed
I'm definitely going to do that. I did go around and try to pull out the other ones, none of them came out with just that effort, but the one that did come out was because of old crumbling bedding tape. Looks like it's time to go special order that bedding tape after all!

...or, could it have been because of ammonia I used to remove the window tint? Either way. These babies haven't had any attention for 38 years. It's time for me to give it.

I'm very heartened with the prospect of putting in the window with just bedding tape and no sealant. Once I get this front window back in and since the gasket I installed proved itself with the last rain, I am motivated again.

Since this window was off, I super-cleaned it with a razor blade and fine steel wool.

So...I'm going to use your bedding tape to put in two windows, undo the other windows if they look like they're coming out, and if they do, I can take your piece of bedding tape to the glass shop here to get the right stuff.

One. step. at. a. time.

I guess my trailer is trying to tell me something...replace all window gasket, tape, and seal up nicely. Then, stop cursing the window.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Smile Bedding Tape

Ingrid, Your CARE package is on it's way. Priority Mail! The Post Office says it should get there in two days!!!!! LOL! Anyway that's what they said. I guess if you get it that fast it's okay but by the weekend would be all good too!
Let me know how it works for you. Yes, I do think your cleaning supplies may have added to the drying out of the bedding tape but age is most of the problem. Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Thank you!! Karma to you!!

How much do I owe ya.

I have a special present coming when I am feeling better (bad cold, the window got it's revenge on my bad language).

ingrid
Old 01-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Keep the Faith...

Ingrid-

Your offer of pie and ice cream had me searching the garage in vain for bedding tape or other window supplies... Then the floods (not so bad in Silicon Valley) made me decide not to drive anywhere, and we had to fire up the generator and Condoluminum kitchen when local power company lost it for an hour or two with people coming over...

After building a car and restoring a number of mechanical items, just wanted to raffirm that they may not technically be "alive", but they do have Karma, and the rules of Karma apply:

1. Some days you are just gaining enlightenment and wisdom..
2. Some other days you are just undoing the damage done on prior work days..
3. Some days it's a dead heat between progress and new problems..
4. and SOME DAYS, actual measurable progress occurs!

Keep the Faith, and soon your handy husband willl be hard at work fabricating the new interior, and rallies won't be far off...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I'll bring pie to the next rally we get to. I promise a piece to you!

glad to hear you didn't get too flooded out. We're going to get tanks after the windows are done! Put them under the floor after we pull it up, it's not all the way replaced yet.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
bedding tape application

Heads up Eljay!

Got the tape. Right on! I'm feeling...encouraged?

OK, I read back over this thread. I stick the tape to the window with something? Or it just folds over and sticks to it?

For the record this is nothing like the bedding tape which I had mistakenly applied to the window last time. This is obviously much tougher rubber stuff.

BigEd, you're the best. Oh wait, I told Uwe that. And Moogie32. Jeez. What can I say?

ingrid
Old 01-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Bedding Tape

Ingrid, The tape just folds over the top edge of the glass. If the glass is clean and the tape is too, it should adhere well enough to the glass for you to slide it between clamp and hinge assembly and tighten down the screws.
That way the water can't get between it and the glass from the top. We don't want it to fall out again, right? Seal with silastic sealant on both ends of the clamp/hinge, where all three ends are exposed. (Glass, Bedding Tape, Clamp/Hinge). That seals ends up from the elements as well. Let me know how you make out and if you need more bedding tape. Ed
Old 02-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
No report on windowpane installation yet. The glass bar screwholes on the part that are still on the trailer are full of broken-off screws, so we didn't do any installation today. We figured out a vise-grip would help turn the screws but a few had broken off and those are preventing us from reinstalling the windows now.

However, today have been removed and I'm cleaning them, and we're finishing up installing gasket on the last three windows as soon as I get more adhesive (we ran out!!). I'm also cleaning up the glass bars and shining them up a little, and hubby is going to drill through the holes where the broken screws are on the part that's still on the trailer. I'm actually starting to see that the installation of the window isn't the hard and tedious part, it's the gasket replacement and cleaning of the windowpanes after all these years. The windows, after the glass bar and opening mechanism were taken off, wiggled right out of the slot with very little effort. I'm really glad I took BigEd's advice and removed all windows to re-do bedding tape.

I replaced the porch light window and lens cover! Looks good!
Old 02-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I just dropped and smashed a window.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Tell me you are just testing, to see if anybody is reading your thread!
Is it one of the Unobtanium windows? Or is it one you can get from another source, maybe, possibly?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Angry Oh, NO! Say it's not true!

Quote:

Ingrid, I am so sorry to hear about this.....do you want to vent? Venting is always good! I'll send you some karma - maybe that'll help.....
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:

it was a flat one, right????? (anxiously awaiting details.....)

Di
Old 02-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
No, it's a curved large one...I went out to the garage to put it in a safe place, put it down to look for the key, and bumped it too hard on the brick back porch. Smashed into gazillion pieces. I have to confess I blurted a few variations of the eff word. Verb adjective, noun-noun.

I felt really bad for a few minutes, and sat down to collect my thoughts and take a deep breath so I don't break anything else. I just heard on our traffic report that there's a trucker out on a freeway somewhere around here, who drove the rig into an overpass and that there are chunks of cement everywhere on the road. Someone out there is having a worse day than I am, so I feel allright now(but not great).

thanks for all the luv, guys...

ingrid
Old 02-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri

didn't want you to sing alone.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
No, it's a curved large one...
Ingrid! Now I really feel sorry for you....the 39 incher? Say it's not the 39 incher! Boy, I wish I had a spare to send you! (and for some reason I have to pass karma around to send you more - boo! hiss!)
You're right, though - the cement chunk truck driver's having a very bad day....
Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The good (?) news is, you can get another one, for slightly less than the amount of the national debt, from vintage rv supply...
Old 02-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Exclamation Ouch!

Ingrid, Let me see if I've got this right. You've had all this time and the materials to install these windows and now one gets broken? Bummer! I feel so bad for you .... I know what you must have said *&***####@!!! I guess that it is a shame to lose one like that but at least you didn't drop it and get hurt yourself. There's always a bright side, See I saw your comment about the broken off screws. I will tell you a secret that I've learned...If you can't successfully remove the screw from the hole there is a way around that! Just grind down the screw threads flush and drill a new hole for self-tapping screws 1" to the left or right of the one you can't remove! Afterall you really only need to clamp the window in the clamp/hinge, and who is gonna care where the screws are located as long as they get the job done. Right! Sit down and catch your breath and get another one on order from VTS At least you'll help Steve stay in business on those replacement windows. I hope this note helps you through this trying time and just remember....You could still be looking for original Corning glass, and we all know what a bummer that would be! Let me know how you make out. Hang in there and we'll all git-r-done sooner or later. Ed
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
That is true, true true.

I took a big weekend break with hubby, went to Reno with family, played in the snow, played poker and won $200 (almost a window!) and saw George Jones play. All around a good weekend.

I am definitely going to buy the windows from VTS.

It's not the end of the world...!

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
What's going on?

Well, It's been almost a week since the last installment of.... "Cursed Front Window". I'm waiting to hear how you made out on getting a window to replace the broken one,any news? Have you tried to install any windows yet or are you going to wait until the husband is home and can help on that job? Ed
Old 02-22-2006, 06:59 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I'm definitely going to wait until hubby is home and can help me get in at least one window. Not risking doing it alone. Problem is, he works 6 or 7 days a week!

VTS has to wait until they have enough requests for windows to put in an order. I have two on the list.