Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
screws

are stainless steel screws ok with aluminum glass bar?

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:33 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Screws 4 Clamps

Ingrid, I will check what I bought in the morning when I can see inside the trailer. I took one of the original self-tapping screws to Fastenal and they matched them perfectly. They were able to get them for me in about 3 days. I believe they are not stainless but I will check and let you know. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
INGRID, I just came in from the trailer and the ones that Fastenal sold me... that match the original screws are just zinc plated self-tapping 10-24 x 1/2" Phillips head screws. I suppose you can use Stainless Steel screws but they would be very expensive. I bought 40 of the ones I got from Fastenal and with tax it was under $5.00. FYI Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 03-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
gotcha! We had a ton of rain this weekend. Going to try to get back out on it this weekend. Thanks for the information!

i.

ingrid
Old 03-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #45
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Stainless is fine with aluminum, probably a better choice than copper (bad joke copper and aluminum don't mix...period)

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Sprung Leak, that's where I'm livin these days. We've had so much rain I can't do much of anything on the trailer.

However!! I ordered my two replacement windows from VTS on Saturday, and they're shipped!

Get this: if they come broken, VTS sends an immediate replacement, only asking that you send pictures of the damaged window and shipping box, so*they* take care of all the hassle and you get another set of windows.

How's that for service?

Now if I can get this rain to stop I can get back out there.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
It's About Time!!!!

We haven't heard from you in so long we were beginning to think you left the forums in search of original corning glass! LoL! Ed
Old 03-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hi Ed, yeah I'd have better luck finding original Corning than I did putting in gasket...!! I finally got the hang of it and I *think* I'm past the "I just can't do any of this" mode I was in...I think I had to back away from the project for a few weeks.

I put on three windows' worth of gasket in an hour, once I had glue/time/good weather/confidence. I'm not gonna touch the drilling! Rain's been coming and going, so in the meantime I'm shining up my glass bars and the window frames, both on and off the trailer.

onwards!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Sprung Leak, that's where I'm livin these days. We've had so much rain I can't do much of anything on the trailer.

However!! I ordered my two replacement windows from VTS on Saturday, and they're shipped!

Get this: if they come broken, VTS sends an immediate replacement, only asking that you send pictures of the damaged window and shipping box, so*they* take care of all the hassle and you get another set of windows.

How's that for service?

Now if I can get this rain to stop I can get back out there.
Ingrid, I'll bet if you ask VTS really, really, nicely they can do something about the rain too! Seriously, though - you're going to love their windows. They are super nice reproductions (and supposedly stronger too, but don't go trying that out!) Carry on, girl - carry on!

Diane
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:48 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hi Moogie!!

I am hoping the rain is washing away the window curse. I think it is...I'm feeling bold again, instead of frustrated.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #51
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Hi Ed, yeah I'd have better luck finding original Corning than I did putting in gasket...!! I finally got the hang of it and I *think* I'm past the "I just can't do any of this" mode I was in...I think I had to back away from the project for a few weeks.

onwards!
One of my grandfathers was a cabinet/furniture maker (among other several other trades he mastered ) in the corner of his shop was a "moanin" chair, when something wasn't going right he would take time out from the frustrating project at hand and go sit in the chair and moan about whatever, have a cigar or two then go back to the task at hand with a fresh outlook. I find that concentrating too hard on one item can be frustrating, so I will walk away from it for a while, puzzle over it, do something else then come back to it with a fresh outlook.

Glad to hear progress is being made...now about MY trailer

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
moaning chair

I need a cursing chair.

Just went out and tried to install a window. Either the bedding tape isn't thick enough or the weather is cold and the tape/glass bar mechanism isn't holding the pane in, but once we get the screws in the pane pulls right out. Are we supposed to be using adhesive?

Any advice, a big fat shot of tequila or even help in person would be welcome.

Bring it on...

Old 03-25-2006, 03:37 PM   #53
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
I need a cursing chair.

ROFLMAO Not much help I realize...and I can't help your with the windows either...A) too far away and B) I am a 70's vintage guy

Good Luck and if I could I would pass you the bottle

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thanks...I'd take a good hard slug, and I'm not much of a drinker. We went out and put doublesided tape on before the bedding tape, and the window is staying. I hope someone out there gives some input soon so we can decide if we want to get moving on the rest of the windows. I'm really tired of windows!!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
You're not going to believe this...

But the front window we put in three days ago smashed last night!!

Excuse the "French" but can you believe this st?

It's regular glass and we've had cold weather lately, and it warmed up considerably today. The front of the trailer faces east, it could have been the temperature change.

My other theory, and the most likely cause, was my Bad Window Karma.

Anyone watch My Name Is Earl? Apparently My Name Is Ingrid. Only I don't have a list in my pocket of bad things I did to glass...and the rest of my trailer windows are being very nice to me. No leaks, open and close properly, etc. It's the front window that's cursed. Any ideas of how to break the curse?

I shall be ordering a Lexan piece tomorrow. I've had enough!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brokenfrontwindow_01.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	32193  

ingrid
Old 02-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #56
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Any ideas of how to break the curse?

I've had enough!!
Umm.... Cover the window with aluminum?...
At least it is the flat non-tempered glass, it could have been one of the Corning curved windows.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
You're absolutely right. Could have been worse. This way I can get Lexan and tell myself that the shattered window possibly had a defect and that going with Lexan is now my best option, and when it's in, I can put this thing to rest!

How're you feeling?

ingrid
Old 02-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
Just wanted to let you know I feel for you. All in all it sounds like you are taking it pretty good. I'm afraid I would have embarrassed myself with a tantrum!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Aaarrrggh!!

Ingrid-

Sending some positive Karma to offset negative window Karma...

I suppose it's good it shattered in driveway rather than on your first trip during cold rainstorm...

Lexan offers better temp insulation and sound reduction also.. It's a good thing...

Any chance a stray projectile from neighborhood went through it during the night? I'd hate to think craftsmanship was in some way sub-par...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thanks; I got some info that it might have been uneven tension on the cranks at the bottom, which is very likely because they aren't working right and I cranked some tighter than others. My husband was outside and heard the smash, so no projectile...just bad luck with that front window. Plus from the way the cracks go I'm pretty sure it broke from the bottom center.

I'm taking this well because I am now 100% sure that I am putting in a Lexan window. Plus I learned how to rivet today. I gave my husband a big kiss and life is good in spite of My Name being Ingrid.

ingrid