Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Dera

Currently Looking...
Okeechobee , Idaho
Checking Deeper/Within...

O.K., I'm back. I know someone out there will have just the answer(s) we need!

We are taking care of a leak in the front window area. Now that we have most of the extraneous stuff out of the AS, we need to know if there is anything environmentally/physically harmful in/under there/somewhere? Do we need to wear a respirator or are there certain areas we need to be cautious of, within this Land Yacht? I am clueless and my better half doesn't know either.

How does one remove the viewing windows (the ones that are long horizontally and oval on the ends, located above and below the openable window) to clean the film that has flaked (disintegtrated ... is the appropriate term, I believe) and a good portion is resting at the bottom on the window. They look as though it might be possible to somehow, from the inside, pull them toward the inside. What's the scoop on this? Is the pulverized film harmful in any way?

And, what is the best way to clean the Zip Dee? We have a broken connector however as soon as it is replaced, we will need to open it and see it's condition... Again, scarey, scarey! Do I sound paranoid? Hey just because you think someone's after you doesn't mean they aren't!

O.K., I admit I always wanted an AS, this is like a dream come true, and I can hardly wait for the day I move into it! Yahoo!! !!! Thanks in advance.

Dera
dmuszick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Windows

Hi and welcome the windows you are refering to are called vista view windows, if you do a search on them you will find ways to remove them,I do not believe that the film is harmfull, also for your awning go to this site. http://www.zipdeeinc.com/
Old 02-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Dera

Currently Looking...
Okeechobee , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuszick
O.K., I'm back. I know someone out there will have just the answer(s) we need!

We are taking care of a leak in the front window area. Now that we have most of the extraneous stuff out of the AS, we need to know if there is anything environmentally/physically harmful in/under there/somewhere? Do we need to wear a respirator or are there certain areas we need to be cautious of, within this Land Yacht? I am clueless and my better half doesn't know either.

How does one remove the viewing windows (the ones that are long horizontally and oval on the ends, located above and below the openable window) to clean the film that has flaked (disintegtrated ... is the appropriate term, I believe) and a good portion is resting at the bottom on the window. They look as though it might be possible to somehow, from the inside, pull them toward the inside. What's the scoop on this? Is the pulverized film harmful in any way?

And, what is the best way to clean the Zip Dee? We have a broken connector however as soon as it is replaced, we will need to open it and see it's condition... Again, scarey, scarey! Do I sound paranoid? Hey just because you think someone's after you doesn't mean they aren't!

O.K., I admit I always wanted an AS, this is like a dream come true, and I can hardly wait for the day I move into it! Yahoo!! !!! Thanks in advance.

Dera
Hi... all you AS'ers out there... I've got a follow-up question. How do you open/take out the vista view windows? We really need to clean them and since we especially need to clean the frame and the surrounding area, we need to take them out. The inside surface of these vista windows apparently are plastic... any ideas on how to clean these without damaging the plastic? BTW - Thanks for the reply, davidh!

We are also going to have to remove the larger, flip-out windows & take them totally apart, as that is where the majority of disintegrated film is. That appears to be a matter of removing screws, etc. Looks do-able. Tonight I get to wield the allen wrenches and remove some hex's from the window knobs. Lucky me. This Land Yacht is going to keep on our toes! Yep, we're living the Dream! Happy Airstreaming! Dera
dmuszick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuszick
Hi... all you AS'ers out there... I've got a follow-up question. How do you open/take out the vista view windows? We really need to clean them and since we especially need to clean the frame and the surrounding area, we need to take them out. The inside surface of these vista windows apparently are plastic... any ideas on how to clean these without damaging the plastic? BTW - Thanks for the reply, davidh!
Check out this link http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream.htm
Balrgn has documented the repairs he has made on his 75 Trade Wind, one of which includes the Vista View windows. I have the page as one of my favorites, maybe it is a 75 Trade Wind thing!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote