Old 05-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
Butyl tape or tempro

when reinstalling windows on airstreams which is the correct adhesive/sealant to use? Butyl tape or tempro between the window frame and the exterior skin?

i guess a bigger question is where should each of these be used?

crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Following.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Team

, Minnesota
Butyl tape. Anything I might ever need to take out again I use butyl tape. Permanent stuff I use Tempro.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
[QUOTE=crazycuda;2365036]when reinstalling windows on airstreams which is the correct adhesive/sealant to use? Butyl tape or tempro between the window frame and the exterior skin?

i guess a bigger question is where should each of these be used?[/

We reinstalled all the window frames on the 55. I placed butyl on the frame, took an ice pick and poked a hole through the butyl where the original rivet holes were. We placed a little Parbond or Tempro on the rivets and riveted the frames on. Then I cut the butyl back a little on the edge of the frame with an Exacto. I placed a bead of Parbond around the edge to seal more (belt and suspended approach). Parbond is a bit more difficult to apply than Tempro, but I liked the silver color of the Par. We havenít had any issues yet. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
where is everyone getting their butyl tape and what size are you using. one site has 4 variations available and i dont want to get the wrong one and not have enough to fill the gap or too much where i spend a lot of time in cleanup mode
Old 05-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I completely chickened out and ordered the tape from Vintage Trailer Supply.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Butyl tape under the flange between the window and the exterior skin, and a bead of urethane sealant around the perimeter. (I prefer sikaflex 221 instead of trempro for this, because it doesn't stay sticky forever.)

Butyl tape is used under the flange because it's removable. Urethane sealant is pretty strong glue, and you may never get it apart again if you use Trempro under the flange.

You might not think you'd possibly ever want to remove that window again in the future, but you're removing it now, so...

Take it from a guy who thought it would be a good idea to seal behind his clearance lights with Trempro, and then had to fix a bad ground on one of them. Don't glue stuff in place if you don't have to.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:26 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
what size are you all using and does thickness really matter? the site im looking at has several different widths and 2 thicknesses

1/8" thick x 1" wide
1/8" thick x 3/4" wide
1/8" thick x 1/2" wide
1/8" thick x 3/8" wide
1/16" thick x 1/2" wide
Old 05-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #9
Site Team

, Minnesota
I'd get the 1" wide. You can cut it with scissors and stack it for more thickness if needed. It's easiest to work with if you dampen your hands and keep the product cool. Always store the rolls flat.
Tool it with a sharpened stick or plastic scraper. Cleanup with mineral spirits.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycuda View Post
what size are you all using and does thickness really matter? the site im looking at has several different widths and 2 thicknesses

1/8" thick x 1" wide
1/8" thick x 3/4" wide
1/8" thick x 1/2" wide
1/8" thick x 3/8" wide
1/16" thick x 1/2" wide
1/8" thick. You want it to squeeze out to ensure a good seal, and enough to be trimmed prior to caulking.
IMO, width should match the window flange's width or be slightly narrower, but make sure all fastener holes are covered. Place the tape flush with the outside edge of the flange, then install the window. After all fasteners are in trim the tape, then clean and caulk perimeter with urethane caulk of your choice.

ps:
Wait a few hours between first trimming the squeezed out tape and caulking the perimeter. The compressed tape might continue to creep out for a while after the initial trimming.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Butyl tape under the flange between the window and the exterior skin, and a bead of urethane sealant around the perimeter. (I prefer sikaflex 221 instead of trempro for this, because it doesn't stay sticky forever.)

Butyl tape is used under the flange because it's removable. Urethane sealant is pretty strong glue, and you may never get it apart again if you use Trempro under the flange.

You might not think you'd possibly ever want to remove that window again in the future, but you're removing it now, so...

Take it from a guy who thought it would be a good idea to seal behind his clearance lights with Trempro, and then had to fix a bad ground on one of them. Don't glue stuff in place if you don't have to.

Where did you get the sikaflex 221 from. Got my first window in with the butyl tape and trimmed the squeeze out and need to seal it off. Thanks
Old 07-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Sikaflex 221 is not easily available, usually from construction specialty suppliers if you are looking local.
You might get it at ERSCO Supply or Carroll Supply in Wyoming, MI.
Some Fastenal stores have it.

There are sellers on Ebay and Amazon.

If you want something you can get today, Menards carries Vulkem 116. It is similar to Sika 221.

Out of Doors Mart no longer offers Sika 221 or Vulkem, they now have TremPro 625, a slightly thinner slower drying caulk. http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=582
Old 07-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycuda View Post
Where did you get the sikaflex 221 from. Got my first window in with the butyl tape and trimmed the squeeze out and need to seal it off. Thanks
I order mine from Amazon.

TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote