Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Exclamation Bulb Seal for 1963 Windows

We have a 1963 Ambassador that we are restoring. (Very funny since we only intended to clean it up and use it!). The windows are leaking like a sieve!

We have already taken the glass out of the window frame, removed the old crusty gasket stuff and replaced it with new butyl tape and new glazing bead (from Inland RV).

On the actual mounting frame there is a bulb seal (the grey weatherstrip stuff that is in the groove of the mounting frame itself, see photo here:

http://www.idcnet.com/~aandm/photos/hehrwindows.jpg

It's all dried up and cracked. We figured this must be the problem. Sounds like a simple solution, just take out the old stuff and put in new stuff. Right?

Well, we can't find the replacement bulb seal for it anywhere. I found a site that showed how they used some clear shower stall seal, but they only say to go to a glass store and find it, and that was a dead end too.

Can anyone help with where to get the bulb seal? It measures .30 in width, .37 in height and .27 in width of the small flanges that go into the groove.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Check with Steve at www.airstreamdreams.com He has much of the weatherstripping being remade for many of the vintage units.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:24 AM   #3
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Vulkem?

Vulkem is a material like caulk, except more pliable after it is applied.

Do you think a dab of Vulkem in here would work?

Vulkem is available via Airstream Dreams or from Airstream which is where I got mine.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Try a camper shell place like Leer.

I have the same style windows and it's darn close to the seal on a Leer top I have.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:56 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You many also after some additional though want to check the weatherstripping section at the local Home Depot. They had some flat wide neoprene seal with ribs last time I was there for sealing windows, etc. Comes in a 15 foot or so package.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Alan and Mardel

We have a small "D" shaped gasket that can be attached to the back of the window frame that opens, or, on the window jamb itself.

It has worked well as a replacement for the original "bulb" gasket. Lasts a lot longer, as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:17 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

That bulb seal DOES NOT WORK

Well...I ordered the stuff Andy said to get and it does not work! You can't get the window to close if you install it. I got stung for $1.25 per foot to the tune of $90 for this worthless stuff. I'm returning it. I'll keep everyone posted to let you know if Inland RV gives us a refund or not.

<edited by: InsideOut>
Old 01-12-2004, 01:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We have a '64 and have ordered the replacement gasket material from Inland RV and installed it with out this problem. We did however, ask for a 1' sample first before ordering the amount needed for the entire trailer...no problem!

Are you sure you installed it properly? Can you post a picture?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:43 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Installed properly!

Yep....it was properly installed as far as it could be. If you check the post you will see we were told it had several options for installing. I suppose it could be that the shipping dept sent the wrong thing, but there was only one of them listed on the web site and we checked with the lady when we ordered. They knew what year and model we had, so it should have worked if it was going to. The thing we have found is, you can't substitute something that works on one years model with another model. They made major changes to parts from year to year. The other thing I found was the adhesive was 1/2 the price purchased from Farm and Fleet. I just have a hard time paying double for things that aren't really meant for the job. We did send a sample of the "real thing" to the guy at Airstream Dreams. He has things extruded and may be able to provide the exact duplicate eventually. That would be great for all of us.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You might also try Soffseal. The are very big in the vintage auto restoration circles.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
In responce to the complaint, we submit the following.

1. We test "EVERY" substitute part we sell. It is not offered for sale until we are more than satisfied that it will do the proper job, or better.

2. We do not sell mechanical abilities.

3. We have sold several "THOUSANDS" of feet of the "D" gasket, without a single complaint, until now. Hmmm.

4. We also provide a convenient place to obtain vintage parts, and an easy way to order them with our 800 number. For heavens sake, if you can buy it cheaper someplace else, do it!!!!!

5. We do not force anyone to buy anything. The buyer is informed of the cost of each part that they purchase, which gives them the opportunity to say "no".

6. We also offer, within reason, verbal help on "how to." We have an 800 number that a person can use if they have a problem. We are not mind readers, nor can we insist that someone call us if they have a problem.

7. We "DON'T" sell useless parts or materials.

8. We do have a long established return policy, that was written by our corporate attorneys.

9. That return policy is stated in bold print, on every invoice.

We have better things to do than sell useless parts. We don't have the time to teach "mechanics 101."

We do have and take the time to help anyone, even a non customer, within reason, "IF" they call, and at least try to be friendly. Many times we send a sample, just to make sure that the customer knows "exactly" what they would be getting.

Being a do it yourselfer, is no gaurantee, that someone can do everything and anything, without seeking assistance, at least once in a while.

We have the largest Airstream customer base on the planet. We have achieved that by providing quality replacement parts, at a reasonable price, and by trying to help those that ask for assistance, within reason.

Gosh, I know a few people that still object to the "pledge of allegience." That does not make those that do believe, wrong.

And finally, we wonder as to the true purpose of complaining on this site, especially when "NO" form of communication was made to inquire about proper installation.

We can't help those that don't seek it, at least in a proper and friendly manner.

Andy and Staff

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags