Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
Question Another window removal question

I have a 1971 Caravel with rotten window gaskets. I've got the D-type gasket material and adhesive.
I've been given instructions on how to get the opening windows out, and I gather that opening them past 90 degrees is going to allow the separation of two interleaveded channels.
What I can't figure out is how to open the windows past 90 degrees. The bent metal rods that slide in plastic channels to open the windows and hold them in open positions will not permit the windows to open more than say 50 degrees. There are some sort of clips holding these rods on (on the outside), but they aren't ordinary C-clips. More like washers with a break in the circle that's less than 1/16". They're thick enough to be pretty rigid and have resisted attempts to get them to budge.
The alternate solution, taking off the knobs and pushing the rods through from the inside doesn't seem to be a geometric possibility . . . at least not without breaking the plastic channels.

(If this isn't clear, I'll try to get some photos tomorrow).
sandgrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The clips are "C" clips and can usually be removed by placing a small flat blade screwdriver in a cutout in the clip and prying against the center. The clip opens up and will allow the rod to be removed. Sometimes you can grasp it with a pair of needle nose players, but that is iffy, given the clearances involved.

The clips are easy to have spring loose and get lost, but can be replaced at any hardware store. You might want to go to a hardware store and ask for "c" clips so you can see what they look like off the shaft.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
If they are the same clips as were holding my rod arms they are round circles with kind of a starburst centre that pinches the rod when pushed on. They die when you remove them but if you take a sample in to an auto supply place they are about 10 cents each.
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #4
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
PS when I removed my 69's windows there is a small screw in the upper rail, removed the screw lifted 90% and slid them out sideways
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
Eventually managed to get most of the C clips out. Some were so difficult that I had to pop the rivets holding the bracket arms and take the windows out that way. Not conventional E clips, which are easy to pull, or conventional C clips, which are easy if you have the little plier things made for extracting them. Replaced with E clips.
sandgrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Apparently for only a couple of years the clips used were actually tiny C-rings that were so tight getting a blade or small screwdriver tip underneath them is almost impossible. I carefully used a Dremel cutting blade on some of mine, which worked fine. One of those AS jobs you plan X amount of time for that ends up 8X.

Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgrubber View Post
Eventually managed to get most of the C clips out. Some were so difficult that I had to pop the rivets holding the bracket arms and take the windows out that way. Not conventional E clips, which are easy to pull, or conventional C clips, which are easy if you have the little plier things made for extracting them. Replaced with E clips.
I did what TennTex did and cut the circular clips with a Dremel tool. I saw no indication that there was a split anywhere nor did a screwdriver fit under the clip. Indeed, the rods fit into slots in the window frame (even with the screen removed). Removing the rivets that hold rod to the frame would work but seemed messy. Now off to the hardware store with my cleaned-up rods to find some split-ring clips of some kind. I'm *so* glad the window is off; I used a multi-tool to remove all the old rubber and have Permatex gasket glue out there setting even as I type. I have that "D" shaped gasket stuff. This is my third of five windows on my '70 Caravel. Have to re-attach the plate that the cam lock fits into because those four rivets rotted; I use #4x40 stainless machine screws with neoprene lock nuts. This is my second set of rotted rivets on this window. The weather stripping is important, ya think?
mdiggles is offline   Reply With Quote