Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Aluminum trim for long narrow windows

In my trailer the high windows that are long and short.... have the retractable blinds, or covers that are constructed similair to the blinds in a commercial airliner... I want to take those out, because they are cracking and non operational now. Does anyone have thoughts on how to make them look like the long narrow windows that are down low.... They have an aluminum trim that fits right up against the window and covers the interior skin, rivited in place. I notice with the upper windows, the skin is cut back a ways, and it wont fit to just buy the trim from a place like Inland RV. I would have to patch the skin around the window where the trim doesn't cover. Is there any way to overcome this without having to replace the entire skin panel? That panel is quite large on both sides. To avoid having to replace the entire panel, I thought I may be able to cut it down and then only need to replace the area nearest the window. Any ideas?
Todd
Old 11-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Those windows are called vista views. I removed the shade assembly on my Gt. You do have to peel down a big portion of the inner skin to get to the shade. The shade assembly is also riveted to the outer skin in a few places. I got some trim pieces from a fellow Airstreamer that removed said windows. As far as the cutouts is concerned, I am completely changing the interior layout so I have to replace those skins anyway. Maybe you can change just a portion of the panel where a splice is less noticeable.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there might be an easy fix. It seems like a week point in the design of that window. I am thinking that cutting the panel back to patch with new metal is going to have to be my option. Any other ideas?
Do you have any pics to show how that slide mechanism is installed?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
No I don't have any pictures of the slides that I removed. They were all busted up and no longer worked, and as I was not going to use them I offered them up for free and nobody wanted them so they went to the dumpster. The rivets that hold them in are just below the windows (external) and about 4" spacing. I had to drill them out and then shoot new rivets in to plug the holes.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow Vista View Closeout Removal

interesting dilemma you have.
I cannot see how the shade could have cracked though. It is aluminum surrounded with a "not so hot' vinyl extrusion. I know mine are often a pain in the arse to slide easily. I'd think the easiest fix is to replace the shade itself.
I doubt the extrusions for the handle edge and the wrap around and very doubtful the closeout itself (inner frame behind ceiling) is still to be had cept from salvage.Inland Andy would know.
A closeout (decorative trim return) that transitioned neatly from the inner ceiling cut to the "smaller" Vista-View surround would be a monumental fabrication challenge IMHO.

The frame of the device is known as the Vista-View Close Out. And as mentioned it is riveted thru outer skin from roof.
==========================================
According to 1974 Service Manual here is the removal procedure:
1) Remove Drape
2) Remove Roof Lockers and or panels to permit inside skin to be loosened approximately six feet aft of Vista View in question.
CARE MUST BE TAKEN HERE TO PREVENT METAL (Ceiling) FROM BUCKLING
3) Vista-View closeout frame is held ONLY at top by several hard rivets through roof.Remove these from the outside.
4) Carefully Hold Out Ceiling skin panel and slide Vista-View frame out toward floor. Shade will come out with closeout frame.
  • For shade only removal, drill out pop rivets attaching ceiling panel Approximately 2 feet aft of Vista-view window. Hold out ceiling panel skin and slide shade out.
Use #30 bit for rivet removal.
===========================================

BTW the illustration shows the ceiling panel skin pulled out both fore and aft of the window in question. Maybe they meant 3 ft either side. Also on most that I have seen there are no overhead lockers in the way of the Vista-Views.

Good Luck
Please advise as to your doings.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
It wasn't the shade that cracked, but the actual fiberglass, or plastic frame. It's seen so much sun and weather, that the plastic has now started to break into pieces under the weight of the shade being moved. I'll get a photo up soon to show you. I think what I'll end up doing is cutting the skin back from the end-cap to just above the door, removing that piece and replacing it with a new piece of sheet aluminum. Marking and cutting the New skin to fit a bezel/suround like found on the vista view on the bottom. This way I have shiny new aluminum and have less vynil to strip, and a new suround, for the window.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Lightbulb

So what you need is the actual closeout. Plastic, ABS ?
In 1974 that was part #09622 .

Ask Inland Andy.
or call Airstream.
I'd like to know too, plus I'd like to know how many other model years might either be the same or close enough to make do.

Ya know the damm plastic parts are the ones we should all take very good care of. Obviously they are the hardest (oft impossible) to jury rig and /or duplicate or McGiver.
I cringe when I read (as above) that those obso's get tossed.

BTW I do not know for sure that the closeout frames are obsolete, I hope they are not obviously.

I visited your website and you sure do beautiful wood work, maybe a router magician could fab a oval frame that would transition and solve your need. Sort of a 4 dimenional crown/cove mould picture frame thing-a-mejig.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Thanks for the props on my work. I have thought about making lots of parts out of wood, but I have some major wood projects planned for the A/S. So some of those little pieces I'd rather just replace... I like the aluminum look too, espesially for the round rivited window frames...
I spoke to Inland RV and they said that they are out of production... I'd rather not replace that plastic slide anyhow. I think it is a bit too tacky, and like the simple look of the bottom vista view window better. Now I have to try and find the closeout for the vista view. I hopethey have that at inland.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
I cringe when I read (as above) that those obso's get tossed.
I ran an ad here in the forums for all the removed items that could be had for the price of shipping. Several people wanted different items and I shipped the items to them. Only one person refunded the shipping costs. I live in a very modest suburban home with limited amount of storage and I just don't have the room to create a warehouse for parts and components that are no longer serviceable. If any WBCCI or Air forums members would step up to the plate and donate a storage facility I would be more then happy to donate what I have left for other Airstream owners to use.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Sorry Aerowood I guess it did sound personal but I was NOT trying to make it that way. You did what you could to try to save them for someone. And I DO understand the storage problem.
I really just mean that many parts are tossed that have no possibility of replacement for they are long (or short) out of production. And that we should be more aware of which ones those are, and toss them only at last possible instance.
A collection central for such would be great but not likely. You'd have to have an organization for that and Airstreamers have enough problems with the few organizations around them already. Maybe the VAC would be the most suited, but it would take alot of work and dedication, for not much return. A better bet would be an existing salvage yard or dealer that would buy such parts and that could be trusted to send fair payment for the part plus the shipping.

Now as to the SoBs that did not refund your shipping, that is another story altogether, what scumballs! There are always some (and not always few) in every crowd, every group, on every forum, in every club..yep and in every church.

dd