Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Advice Installing Heat Rejecting Window Films

We would like a little less sun heat, UV and a little more privacy while traveling in our Airstream. The windows are double pane. I believe I need a residential window film as automotive films caution against installing on double pane windows. The film goes on the inside surface of the inside pane.

What have you folks found that works well? Any issues with over heating the windows? I prefer the shadow tints like the front window stone guards to the reflective type so I would likely get less energy reflection. I am hoping for 10 year life of the film without color change or bubbles. I think I can install the film myself.

3M makes good films, but do not sell it retail, only through installers as far as I can see. 3M Night Vision at 35% light penetration looks about right. Gila (Eastwood) sells films at Home Depot and the like. Their glare reducing films are not for dual pane windows. Only their mirrored energy reflection films are recommended for dual pane.

I searched this forum and see some nice looking tinted windows in these window threads. What film did you use?
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
What you want is a tinted "low emissivity" film. This would actually work best on the inside of the outer pane, not the inside of the inner pane (surface 2, not surface 4).

Low emissivity films block UV and IR light, and so prevent heat from entering the trailer through the windows. Only problem is, because the heat is blocked by the film, the film itself gets hot; too hot to comfortably touch in some cases, but not hot enough to damage glass or Lexan/polycarbonate. Just don't use it on Plexiglass/acrylic windows or they will warp.

Putting it on the inside of the outer pane keeps it away from being touched by accident, and prevents heat from reaching the inner pane.

But, if you don't want to take your windows apart, it can go on the outside of the outer pane and will work about as well.

SolarGard makes an automotive version that should work on your trailer.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Fifteen years ago I went to HomeDepot and bought their home window film. Applied it to the inside of my double pane windows. It has worked wonderful - Low glare and cool!
After 15 years it still looks like new and heat is not a problem. Sorry but after 15 years I don't remember the brand but it was easy to install (with water). They had several different degrees of light reduction.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I see some of the newer Airstreams come from the factory with tinted windows.

Does anyone know what tint process the factory uses?

I'm looking for abouit 35% light allowed with some heat rejection. I want to apply a tint film to the inside pane.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I see some of the newer Airstreams come from the factory with tinted windows.

Does anyone know what tint process the factory uses?

I'm looking for abouit 35% light allowed with some heat rejection. I want to apply a tint film to the inside pane.

David
Don't know about the trailers, but the Interstates come with side and rear windows by C.R. Laurence Co. They have a 90% gray tint, but provide no heat rejection at all.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I installed Gila bronze tint film in the two upper vista-view windows in my trailer a few months ago. So far so good, no bubbles. They help with heat gain quite a bit. If they go bad, the film is cheap enough not to worry.
matthorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We bought roll of Reflectix at Homeless Despot.

Cut to fit behind day-night shades. Much kooler and very private. Easy to remove if we want light.

When in low reception area cell phone signals blocked ;(
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
FunderStreaming

1999 28' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Tinted Films for Windows

What is the trick to installing the window film in the concave, curved windows in the nose of the trailer at the hook end?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
VA Beach , Virginia
It is not as easy as a flat window ,but easier to apply on the outside rather than the inside.
and the stuff from Home Depot works fine .
just remember to keep the Film and window "Wet" with solution while you work with the film install.
jimrich60 is offline   Reply With Quote