Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
acworth , New Hampshire
'76 Safari wing window 'splice bar' wanted

Hello all,
New to the Forum and to Airstreams, I've wanted to be "in" for a long time but just recently came across an offer too good to refuse, so....
I have a 23' Safari that came complete with a broken road side wing window, window replacement went well and I even saved the splice bar after not seeing new ones available, but when trying to reinstall it caused it irrepairable damage. I have searched the posts but found no good solution to this issue, short of using sealant, which I'm sure works but
I'd really like to have the splice bar on there. Now that I've ruined the only one I had to work with I believe I can install another successfully, if I can get one. Does anyone out there have one they would be willing to sell?I promise I can install it without any issues this time! Thanks. Scott
nhdubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
acworth , New Hampshire
Whoops!

OOps!, noticed my profile says '75 and my post says '76, manufactured in and registered as respectively. Scott
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Welcome to the forums.

I've got a '75 safari and I'm not sure what you mean about 'splice bar'. Do you have pic?

Also, if you change your profile to '76... I believe it will affect all your posts.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
acworth , New Hampshire
Ron,
Unfortunately I don't have a picture but it is the narrow skinny aluminum channel that slides on from the top or bottom in a "dovetail" fashion to couple the wing windows inboard edge to the center window frame (where there are no rivets ). Thanks for the tip about the profile.
Scott
Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
When I reinstalled mine I put dish soap on it to make sliding it back on easier, and then washed out the soap with water, and then sealed the top edge, and the inside mating surface. I looked for new also but was unable to find a replacement. As discribed above you can see it in the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01940.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	84198  
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Changing your profile to the right info will not adversely affect your existent posts.
But it will substitute the new info in all your posts.
It is almost simple to fix it. Wish everyone would audit and update and correct incorrect model data.

I too wish I could see a pic of the mullion bar or splice bar as some call it.
I think I have read Inland Andy say it is no longer available, but I am not positive I recall that exactly right. I hope it is available as it seems to be rather critical in a common repair.
Also wonder how "year specific" it is?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
acworth , New Hampshire
I will take some pics with my "good camera" and post them, and thanks for the tip about the dish soap, mine might have lived if I had known sooner.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdubfan View Post
Hello all,
New to the Forum and to Airstreams, I've wanted to be "in" for a long time but just recently came across an offer too good to refuse, so....
I have a 23' Safari that came complete with a broken road side wing window, window replacement went well and I even saved the splice bar after not seeing new ones available, but when trying to reinstall it caused it irrepairable damage. I have searched the posts but found no good solution to this issue, short of using sealant, which I'm sure works but
I'd really like to have the splice bar on there. Now that I've ruined the only one I had to work with I believe I can install another successfully, if I can get one. Does anyone out there have one they would be willing to sell?I promise I can install it without any issues this time! Thanks. Scott
A splice bar is not needed, for a good installation of a wing window.

Vulkem sealer takes care of the issue.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
acworth , New Hampshire
Andy,
Thanks for the comment, I actually have sealed the joint as per your recomendation from an earlier post I found while searching the forum and I do realize it's not required, I just would feel better knowing I put it back as close to original as possible (if possible!). Here are a couple pictures of the remaining parts of the splice bar I removed, it is 3/4" wide, 25-1/2" long (well it WAS) and 1/4" tall. Again, Thanks all for the comments and suggestions, this forum is the best! Scott

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	84222

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	84223
Old 07-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdubfan View Post
Andy,
Thanks for the comment, I actually have sealed the joint as per your recomendation from an earlier post I found while searching the forum and I do realize it's not required, I just would feel better knowing I put it back as close to original as possible (if possible!). Here are a couple pictures of the remaining parts of the splice bar I removed, it is 3/4" wide, 25-1/2" long (well it WAS) and 1/4" tall. Again, Thanks all for the comments and suggestions, this forum is the best! Scott
Attachment 84222

Attachment 84223
We have the splice bars in our inventory, but we will not, under any circumstances, ever sell one again. Nor do we install them in our shop.

To sell one and then receive calls after calls, that the bar is the wrong size and won't fit, is a huge waste of our time, energy, and a waste of our money.

If someone doesn't know how to install it, of course you guessed it, it's wrong and it's our fault that it doesn't fit.

There never has been more than one ever made, and even Airstream quit using them in production, as they are more trouble than they are worth.

Simple corrosion on the old window, is enough to cause the problem.

So, bottom line from us, no sale.

And no, instructions never came with them either. Once again, our fault.

Sorry, but we have better things to do than argue about one part, with anyone.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
acworth , New Hampshire
Andy,
I can understand the reluctance to sell them only to be confronted by "issues" with the installation, had I not removed the one on my Airstream personally I would swear there was no way it could fit. That being said, I sure would like to purchase one , or two maybe just in case, no warrantees, guarantees or otherwise expressed or implied. If I am reading your post correctly you say Airstream even stopped using them, do you mean they seal them together as per your previous post suggests? or is there some "updated" trim using in this application? Again many thanks for your obvious first hand knowledge of these finer details that seem to be so easily lost (especially to us new to Airstreams). Scott
Old 08-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
acworth , New Hampshire
Elusive splice bar FOUND!

Hi, everyone I just wanted to let you know I have ordered the splice bar I needed for my Safari they have more available here Splice Bar for wing window 010180 [010180] - $5.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
in case anyone else needs them like I did, I will post an update when I receive the part and get it installed (I have a plan).
Scott
Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Good for you Scott....! Lube that puppy this time... ;-)
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I'm going to order a couple of those for the future.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
acworth , New Hampshire
Ganglin,
Lube will certainly be involved this time as will some carefull smoothing of all the mating surfaces, Aerowood , I actually ordered a pair even though I only need 1 at this time, it's cheap insurance in my eyes.
Scott
Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I'm going to order a couple of those for the future.
Good idea! That's another item to add to the box of "they may stop making these" parts. Glad I'm not the only one who does that...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote