Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Dugger

1963 30' Sovereign
Midlothian , Texas
'63 Sov-Hehr window replacement, help

OK I don't understand, attempting to replace the glass on the 63 Sov Land Yatch. Have posted before but didn't really understand, very frustrated, broke the glass............I bought some TemPro, is this used between the frame and glass, like the glazing stuff used on old wooden windows in house's ? Or is something else used between the frame and glass, then the Tempro, I don't have any gaskets or Bulyt tape on any of my windows. any help would be greatly apreciated. If picture would help I can provide and thanks to all those in the past who attempted to help, sorry the head is so thick, Doug
Dugger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Doug,

I have a '60 and I think they are similar.

You don't use any sealant on the window. The glass is held in with glazing tape which is just double sided tape. You can get it at any window/glass supply.

Then there is a rubber glazing bead that goes around the outside of the window to make it look nice. Vintage Trailer Supply carries it.

On the inside of the frame there is also a bulb seal as well.

Good luck with your replacement.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Dugger

1963 30' Sovereign
Midlothian , Texas
OK tim thanks for the reply but I still am missing something, earlier post stated using Tempro, is that in place of the butyl tape between the frame and glass or can the TemPro be used between the frame and glass and on the ouside of the glass as well. This seems so simple but my haard head is getting in the way. I just need to replace the glass, frame is good so please beat this in my hard head. Thanks again for the reply, Doug.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Doug, I'm really hoping that the '63 is the similar to my '60. If not someone needs to jump in and save me.

Here are some photos that may help. These were actually taken from different windows as I did them, but they show the steps.

The first is the original plastic window someone put in. I was putting glass back.

Note the dried up glazing strips. The grey stuff that does not quite reach around the perimeter anymore.

After cleaning up all the tape or sealant residue, put in the bedding tape.

After the tape is in place, remove the tape backing, and carefully set the glass in place. You only get one clean shot at this. Avoid the part I did with my fingers.

Now take the glazing strip and fit it into place mitering the corners.

Some people add a little Parbond to the corner miters as well. Then you're done.

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Dugger

1963 30' Sovereign
Midlothian , Texas
Here's a follow up. I completed the windows today. I spoke with the local window guy, he advised just using TemPro 664 to seal the window to the frame and then again on the outside. He said this would hold well and never leak. Guess we'll see. there in and we have another chance of rain tonight. thanks for the all the help, I"ll let you know if I have any problems. Doug
Old 09-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
I am getting ready to do the windows on my 1962 globetrotter. Can you tell me what you used to clean the glass? and the frame? prior to installing the TemPro664?
jlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Man, the next owner and or yourself will be cursing you for what you have done. When you crack that glass and need to replace it, the work reguired to get that protemp out will be unbelievable. The butayl tape seals and allows furture repairs. You should contact Vintage Trailer Supply or Inland RV and get the right stuff. VTS ships out very quickly, there is no reason you could not wait on the right stuff to arrive. Ambassador Tim showed you the right way, also RJ Dial has some excellent instructions too. Restoration Topics - Window Repairs I started a thread yesterday asking how to get all that liquid seal out that the PO used. Maybe the protemp has not set up too hard and you can get.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Thumbs up 1960 vs 1963 Windows

Although very similar, the 1960 and 1963 windows are different. For the purposes of this discussion about technique, it doesn't matter. But when it comes to materials, you need the Clearview Glazing Strip on most 1959 and 1960 windows and the Hall-Mark 12 Glazing Strip on most 1961 to 1965 windows. The same Hehr Bulb Seal is used on both types, albeit in slightly different positions. And as mentioned, the butyl glass bedding tape is needed when you are replacing glass. Generally, you should not use any caulks (like Parbond or Trempro Vulkem) for this project.

Also, if you note Tim's close up photo of the lower left corner of the window frame, you will see that the front frame (the movable frame that holds the glass) recesses flush inset into the wall of the trailer. This is a sure sign that you have Clearvew windows. The Hall-Mark 12 window front frames are partial overlay instead of recess.
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote