Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
'55 Safari Rear Window

Its time to fix the windows on my 55 Safari. The extension levers on my rear window are gone. I have heard the rear window called an escape hatch as it is bigger than the other windows. So do I buy the extension levers from VTS that have notches to hold the window open? Or do they take something like these, without notches, being sold on ebay?

50's Airstream Hehr window escape latch handle lever | eBay

Question 2.

One of the vertical bars that the levers attach to on the window is gone. (see Photo) It seems I will have to fabricate one. But, the vertical bar on the screen doesn't line up with the one on the window. The PO moved them around for some magic reason. How far in from the end should the vertical bars be placed? Also, Is there a place that sells the vertical bars so I don't have to make one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearWindow.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	159691   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearWindow2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	159692  

wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
claremore , Oklahoma
Wheeler,
I just overhauled my 1955 Bubble windows,and they appear to be the same as your Safari. The previous owner of your trailer probably had a window A/C unit too wide to fit between the "vertical bars" so he/she moved them.(I moved mine out also for a window A/C) They may also have removed the"extension levers" for more window travel for the A/C.(my bubble has notched levers for positioning the window at various positions) Contact Steve at VTS for misc parts. Most can be fairly easy to fabricate.(your front window should have the same parts which will make the process much easier)...walt...tulsa,ok
walt c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Thanks Walt
That tells me I need the notched levers from VTS. Thats kinda what I was thinkin.
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote