Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
Silver Fern

1994 34' Excella
Berwyn , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to mcdowellc
2014 Classic small windows - gap around edge

We have a brand new 2014 30' Classic. Noticed that the small windows, the ones below the bigger windows that open (these small ones do not open) have what appears to be a gap between the panes and the interior edge. Is this how it's supposed to be? We have asked our dealer and he wants to see photos and wants to know what color the interior is and we will get him all that...but thought I'd ask here, too. I am suspect that a trailer we bought less than two months ago from this dealer doesn't have color details at his fingertips...
mcdowellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We have the same thing, which I hadn't noticed until you posted the question (thanks a lot .) Chalk it up to sloppy workmanship at Airstream (which is not all that unusual BTW.) You could run a bead of black or dark grey caulk around that area if it bothers you.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
Silver Fern

1994 34' Excella
Berwyn , Pennsylvania
We also just heard from our dealer that this is normal! We are going to bring this up with the company to have them confirm and if this is so...they'll hear our comments/feedback on a lackluster design!
Old 09-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Unfortunately this may be just the fit/finish that is current on Airstreams. My new 2015 Serenity has similar issues. I have mentioned this in feedback to the factory and I believe they are making an attempt to improve the final quality in this area

IMO, when one is spending over $100,000 on a TT, one expects better fit/finish, closer final inspection, and in general a higher level of quality than we currently are receiving in Airstreams.

Having said this, I am extremely happy with my new 30 footer.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We're taking our Airstream back to the dealer tomorrow with a small punch list of things we think need to be corrected. Yes, they're all cosmetic and yes, you'd think workmanship for the price we're paying would be a little better. OK, a lot better. We're very happy with the unit over but wish things were perfect. Does Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar all have these same kind of problems?
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
Silver Fern

1994 34' Excella
Berwyn , Pennsylvania
We found a 3M sticky strip that we're trying on the windows. We'll see how this pans out. Don't think it's a long term solution, but for now - it looks a helluva lot better than that gap. Poor design. Too bad!
Old 11-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Ottawa , Ontario
I have had three Aistreams, all brand new and each one had " cosmetic" issues, ranging from junk under the fished floor to a bed that could not be closed, to failing to install properly the grey and black water outlets. One continuing problem is that when I open the door, with the awning out I can almost hear the rip in the fabric. No attention to detail. Overall, I think we are paying Cadillac prices for .... My sense is that Airstream is trading on their past reputation.

Greycloud

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
I have had three Aistreams, all brand new and each one had " cosmetic" issues, ranging from junk under the fished floor to a bed that could not be closed, to failing to install properly the grey and black water outlets. One continuing problem is that when I open the door, with the awning out I can almost hear the rip in the fabric. No attention to detail. Overall, I think we are paying Cadillac prices for .... My sense is that Airstream is trading on their past reputation.

Greycloud

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Dear Greycloud, If your awning is rubbing on the door it's because you don't have it opened far enough. There is a fourth hole in the brace - yank it out about another 10-12 inches. (There is probably a youtube video of how to set up a zipdee on an Airstream but I don't know the link.) Many people mistakenly put the swing out piece with the hook in the wrong location. It belongs on the awning roller right inside the ZipDee end piece. I've seen more than one person clip it over the round spring loaded release for the height adjustment feature. BTW, the piece that hooks also has a locking feature. Put the hook over the awning roll, grab the brace and yank it out toward the awning and you'll get a click and lockup.

Good luck, Paula