Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
2002 Safari Window Shattered

I found a shattered window on my 02 Safari today. No idea what happened. I ordered a whole new window assembly from Out-of-Door Mart. Do any of you have experience changing out one of these type Hehr windows? Any lessons learned for removing the old frame and installing the new frame will be greatly appreciated. Right now I plan to use TremPro to seal behind the window flange during installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Window.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	355879  
Old 12-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Followup on the window

I called Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina. They ordered me a complete new window through Jackson Center. Jackson Center ordered the window from a company that manufacturers the window. It was shipped to my home for a total cost of a little over $300. I thought that was an excellent price for this window. Thank you Out of Doors Mart and Jackson Center. It was the complete window including the interior mounting frame. I'll post pictures later.
The window consists of of the main frame and window you see from the outside. There is also a mounting frame that is sandwiched between the interior and exterior walls and riveted to the outside wall. They shipped me a new mounting frame but I will use the existing frame.
I removed the old window today. There were about a dozen screws on the inside behind the white trim ring. These screws held the window in place by connecting the main frame to the mounting frame. The window was bedded into a large amount of black polyurethane caulk. It took about four hours of cutting away at the caulk while prying the window out carefully.
I'll update with pictures after I complete the install.
Hopefully this will helpful to an owner of an Airstream with this type window in the future.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow! Glad the you were able to find a replacement. I have an 05 Safari and have the same windows. I've been wondering if they needed to be removed & resealed how difficult that would be. I'd be interested to hear how your replacement project goes. Thanks for sharing!
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
I do not recommend removing one of these type windows for resealing. I would just seal around the perimeter of the window a black polyurethane caulk. It is likely you will damage the window while removing it from the trailer wall and take four or more hours to do the work carefully.

I finished the window install today. I believe back in 2002 Airstream was not using the computerized rig they use today for cutting the rough openings in the outside skin for windows and doors. The rough opening in the aluminum skin did not line up exactly with the perimeter of the window mounting flange. The mounting flange is riveted between the inner and outer aluminum skin. I don't know how Airstream force fitted the original window in the opening. I used a flat file to remove some of the outer skin until the mounting flange opening matched the window assembly. Once the outer skin opening matched mounting flange, the new window slide right in perfectly.

I placed a double layer of butyl tape and a big bead of Trempro 635 around the window assembly flange. I bought new stainless sheet metal screws for mounting. Snugging the mounting screws pulls the window assembly in tight sealing the perimeter of the window. It turned out really well but it was a lot of work and stress. I was amazed at how thick and tough the exterior aluminum skin is.

The good thing is that Airstream has a source for these type windows. You do have to wait for the window to be manufactured. But thank goodness you can a window. I was very concerned I may not be able to find a replacement window.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Attached are pictures of the old window and a new frame. The new window came with a new frame. The old frame is riveted between the inner and outer wall of the trailer. The new window was mounted in the old frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6652.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	358226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6651.jpg
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	358227  

Name:	IMG_6650.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	358228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6649.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	358229  

Name:	IMG_6648.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	358230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6647.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	358231  

Old 01-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
OAKLEY , California
Original window manufacturer

Hi, I have a 2001 Safari and am glad to hear that they still make a suitable replacement window for these rigs. The original mfg, Creation Windows, went out of business years ago.
rforsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
OAKLEY , California
Airstream switched to Hehr windows after May 2001

This clears up the mystery for me. I should be able to order Hehr replacements for the Creation windows on my 2001 Safari. The parts book for the 2002 Safari lists both types as interchangeable..exact same dimensions. Wish that Airstream dealers were aware of this.. They all told me that I was out of luck as the Creation windows are no longer made....
rforsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by rforsland View Post
This clears up the mystery for me. I should be able to order Hehr replacements for the Creation windows on my 2001 Safari. The parts book for the 2002 Safari lists both types as interchangeable..exact same dimensions. Wish that Airstream dealers were aware of this.. They all told me that I was out of luck as the Creation windows are no longer made....
The new window came from an RV window manufacturer. They are able to custom build windows to match the original window. I assume they own the original build information from companies like Hehr and Creation. The window was shipped to me from the window factory. Call the Airstream factory parts department to order a window if necessary. It was a simple process for me to call the Airstream dealer, Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina, to order the window. It did take a few months for the window to be built and delivered.