Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #1

Martinez , Georgia
1978 Excella Sun Window issues +

Hi all,

My first post. Anyway, just got me a 1978 Excella 500, and according to the inspector it is in great shape mechanically, but it seems like I'll need to sink about 5k on the interior to get her restored and modernized, though it is certainly livable.

One issue I am concerned with is the sun windows, which are fairly small rectangular, double panes, that have a good deal of condensation build up between the sheets of glass. Rather than leaving them alone, the previous owner sprayed a treatment over the outside to cloud them up, like a bathroom window might be. I am looking to do something about this, but I am not sure what is the wisest approach. Those in the know, do you recommend that I try to find replacements or should I try to repair what I've got?

Also, on a side note, all of the windows look like the need a sealing, what product should I be looking for to weather proof them up?

Thanks!
Mr.Barky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Martinez , Georgia
Also,

There are strange, small, copper colored crystals along the window seal of the inside pane of nearly every window, so I can't get at them without taking out the windows. This trailer was from Florida, spent a year in Alabama and then I bought it, so I am guessing these are salt crystals of some type, colored by rust?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Barky View Post
Also,

There are strange, small, copper colored crystals along the window seal of the inside pane of nearly every window, so I can't get at them without taking out the windows. This trailer was from Florida, spent a year in Alabama and then I bought it, so I am guessing these are salt crystals of some type, colored by rust?
The windows are known as Vista Views.

The brown crystals are probably a desiccant put in at the factory to absorb any moisture that was in the ambient air when they were assembled. There are several methods for repairing them. You can break the inner pane, clean everything up and then bed the remaining glass panel in sealant and put a backer piece in place to fill in the place from the old inner pane and seal. You can take the unit out, take it apart, clean and reassemble. You can also buy replacement Vista Views, however they are single pane, and that is all that is available to the best of my knowledge.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

Martinez , Georgia
Pretty cool info thanks, I am not sure I want to remove them now, they are not much of an eyesore.

Now that I know what they are called, I see posts calling for Sikoflex to seal vista views windows, I am guess this is good for all my windows?

I looked at a DIY guide on cutting out the inner VV, which might be acrylic, and I will think about that, but I guess I will have to risk trying to remove the fuzzy window treatment, which will be a job in the 100 plus degree sun lol..

Thanks again
Old 07-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The only leaking vista window I had on my trailer was the one window the previous owner removed the interior glass. I had a heck of a time getting that window to not leak. I ended up removing the interior skin to access the window.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote