Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
1971 safari window seal/gasket

The day I brought my 1971 Safari into a shop to have some work done I noticed I had two leaks. They are centered on the front and rear opening windows. I decided to have the seal around both windows redone and also have the gaskets replaced. I was given two options;

1. Replace the rubber seal on the window. It's my understanding that this is "factory" gasket that runs along the edges of the actual window.
2. Add "bulb seal" to the window frame where the window seats when closed.

Option 1 cost considerably more than option 2. I suspect it's primarily related to labor. I'm interested in getting some input on the pros/cons of each. I suspect the option #1 is the preferred method, given that is "factory". However, I need to weigh the cost/benefit factor of one vs the other.

Unfortunately, I'm in a situation with my job where I don't have loads of free time, nor a good space out of the weather to tackle this and a few other repairs on my own. Puts me in a position of having to open the wallet and pay for other's labor and expertise.

Thanks,

TK

Thanks,

TK
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Not sure I understand the big cost difference between the two methods. Unless, they feel they have to remove the window to do the original style and can do the D gasket without removing the window. Both can be done without removing the window. You just have to have a bendy back.

Labor costs would be high for removing the window and they would deserve every penny they charge in my opinion. The biggest issue with the 71 is the retaining clip on the end of the rod that has to be removed to take the window out. It has to be done carefully so the ring is not lost and it's not an easy task.

I did all the windows on our 71. The side windows I did the "proper way" by removing the windows and reinstalling the factory style seals. Working alone, there was no way I was going to tackle that on the heavy front and rear windows.

If you have any time to do this yourself. By a knock off exacto knife set and extra blades. The blades you want are the ones with the cutting edge facing out like the edge on a putty knife. Stretch your back before starting ;-). With the window fully open cut the gasket off. Soak what remains in mineral spirits several times and let it soak in a few minutes. Then take a wire brush (the small ones that come in sets of three from the auto parts store) and brush the remaining gasket material off. You may have to do the mineral spirits and wire brush a couple times to get it acceptable.

I'm not a fan of D gasket - only because of the way it pillows out around the edge of the window when closed. However, it does seal well and it is much easier to install. You could order 3/8 D gasket from Inland RV or any well stocked RV dealer will have it on large rolls and cut the length you need. Even though it is "self adhesive" still use the 3M Gasket Adhesive (yellow not black) and follow the instructions on the tube. You just need a thin layer. It should take about and hour max. to do each window. Make sure the cut edges of the gasket meet at the bottom of the window.

Now, I've told you all that when you say you don't have time to do this but, if nothing else, it might help you in discussing the cost with your repairing dealer.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote