Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2021, 05:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Grain Valley , Missouri
1968 Overlander window leaks

Hey everyone! So I know from researching this is an issue that has been explored, discussed and evaluated dozens of times. I really have researched this and used the search feature dozens of times but I can't find an exact match so I figured I would ask. I finally started replacing my subfloor after concluding I was leak proof..... I was wrong. There appears to be water seeping in around the window not in the seal or the hinge but specifically below the window sill where the u channel 1.5" spacer fits. I have: replaced window seals (including fixed window seals), run a bead of acryl-r around the edges where the gap is, rebucked rivets where they failed the suction test and I still have water seeping in and running down to my new plywood.

Has anyone else found a solution? I am at a point where I am considering drilling out all the rivets, slapping some Trempro in there and wet bucking all new modified (small head big shank) rivets in. It seems like overkill but at somepoint I have to do something different.
JL24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Hello, I sure feel for you... my '68 had some challenges to overcome. Do you have vista view upper windows in the front? That was where 2 of my main leaks were, would travel across the front inside cap and drip on the front gaucho. Sealed them up, now dry. Also had to give a lot of attention to front body seams. Anywhere there is a penetration or seam is a possible leak. Are your inner skins in or out still? Find the general area of the leak, get a helper, start low with a hose and keep going up the body 'til the leak appears. Water can travel a long way. Use tape on the outside to experiment with sealing off various places. I am a fan of par-bond but other sealants are also good. Post some pics if possible.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I had a 66 Trade Wind with those famous Corning curved glass windows. The 68 windows were modified and are bit better.

One thing I did was "leak test" my trailer like you might an inner tube. I rented a "bounce house" high volume squirrel cage fan. I made a simple plywood fan mount that fit the cargo door. I then taped the fridge vents (lower and upper) shut plus any other openings in the trailer.

I powered up the fan and pressurized the trailer interior. You could really feel the air pressure when I cracked open the door. Then I painted every seam from the top down with a soap solution. I found 7 leaks in my Trade Wind, three of which were from the windows. I sealed up the leaks and tested the area again until I got no bubbles.

It might be a valid method for your troublesome leak.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Leak Test 2 (Small).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	398544  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags