Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2005, 07:10 AM   #1
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
1959 Window fabrication or replacement NEEDED!

hi all,

i am in need of a replacement window unit for our '59 traveller. i know these are LONG extinct, so the question is, does anyone know where i can find a replacement? i'm not sure whether it's best to fabricate a new one, locate a vintage unit, or replace the entire window frame with a new unit. my trailer is at the point where any of those options would work without too much hassle. i know i can't be the only airstream out there who's had to replace a window. what's the consensus?

see pic for what's on the front. and, as always... THANKS!

jp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	17149  

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
more specific window info....

the frame is stamped with:HEHR 1009 185 395 (i assume the 185 395 are dimensions? 18 1/2" 39 1/2"?)

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 12-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Those are the correct sizes as you state and they refer to the opening cut in the shell for the immobile window frame that's riveted in. My windows are 19" x 40" and all of them are the same size, which kind of seemed odd to me when I first looked at the sizes but now I appreciate it now because if I need to replace the glass it doesn't matter which one its for. I have an extra left over from when I had the rear one cut at Home Depot. Two were cut from the same sheet for just a little extra. I was paying for the whole sheet anyway.

Eric aka '59caravanner' has been looking for the whole window assembly for some time too. Can't remember his size at the moment but its right around our size.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
glass only?

I'm assuming you are talking about the front window - is the frame ok?
FireflyinVA did something simular to her AS - here's her blog for reference - scroll down and read about her window and frame saga
http://toastertales.blogspot.com/

For the glass - it looks like a simple rectangle - any tempered glass shop should be able to make one - or use lexan?
Hope that helps,
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
the glass is fine in the front, i only attached that pic for reference. the rear only has the frame... no swinging out piece or anything useable... (unless someone wants a piece of bowed plexiglass with minimal... ok... relatively deep scratches?) 1 inch think goop of caulk around the side is free of charge...) VERY frustrating. if i can't find a suitable replacement, i'll have to fabricate something. that should put the beginners look back into the silver pickle if nothing else does!

ha!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 12-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm in the same boat. I have none of the swing out parts for front or rear windows.

As near as I can tell the style frame we have in our coach was only used part of 58, 59 and a little in 60.

I have a pair of window frames from a 60 that Tripp was nice enough to salvage for me for a coach that was cut to peices. They are painted over. They are not 1009's unfortunately.

Too small for my coach but might fit yours. I am investigating using some parts off a truck camper shell to see if I can make new frames.

I was wanting to use the lifters and some hardware that I am missing otherwise the rest would be available. I just haven't offered them up yet waiting to see if I came across some to fit my coach to see if I would need any parts off these.

Not in great shape and paint would have to be stripped of the frames but as rare as these are they could be made to work. They will need new glass.

Let me get some measurements and see if the frames will fit your coach.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I had originally thought about cutting these up so I could get one frame out of them but The frame style is so different I am not sure it would work without changing the part riveted to the body.

These looks like you might be able to make one complete assembly for your coach. The weather strip is in a different place so I don't think you can just use the part that holds the frame. On the 1009's it flat on the inner most molding. these actually seal in the corner. The rubber trim piece around the glass on the 1009 is plastic snap in piece on these. There looks to be enough to make it work for one window but its brittle from the sun. Look at the toater tail link Marc posted above at the "May" part and it appears this is the same style window they have.

Like I said the number is painted over but near as I can tell they are at minimum 18.5x 39.5 or possibly as large as 19x40. The 1009 has a very distinct line where you can measure to get the size. Its not so distinct on these so having a hard time getting the exact measurement. Hopefully they are 19x40. That would let you cut out some poor repairs in the corners and clean it up.

Let me know when you want to take a look at these and see if you think they will help you out.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:44 AM   #8
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Let me know when you want to take a look at these and see if you think they will help you out.
hey man,

that would be great! can you post a pic or 2? i heard the same thing about these windows only being used for a couple of years. next time, i won't consider a coach for restoration without all the windows. live and learn... (did i say "next time"?) uh oh!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 12-19-2005, 06:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
hey man,

that would be great! can you post a pic or 2? i heard the same thing about these windows only being used for a couple of years. next time, i won't consider a coach for restoration without all the windows. live and learn... (did i say "next time"?) uh oh!

jp
I happen to know where a 68 Caravell and a 67 overlander are that need floors fixed if they havent been sold yet. Otherwise very complete if you really want to do it again. Caravell is towable with new tires. The tires on the Overlander are questionable. Bathroom floor rot on both. One is downtown Atl in a warehouse and the other is east side not to far out. Same owner he was still up in the air about selling and I havent been watching E-Bay to see if he listed them.

You are as big of a glutton for punishment as I am.

I will try to get you some pictures tonight.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 AM   #10
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
You are as big of a glutton for punishment as I am.
i never learn! ha! i'm actually thinking about something different for the next one, like a spartan manor...

...WITH all the windows!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 12-19-2005, 07:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
i never learn! ha! i'm actually thinking about something different for the next one, like a spartan manor...

...WITH all the windows!

jp
I want to find a basket case single axle and build a Wee Wind to pull with my 4cyl 4Runner. Goal is under 2,000lb packed ready to go. I figure lower roof to right at 6ft interrior. 13-14ft total length.

Now I do also like teardrops. I would love to build one of those too.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
1958-60 Windows

With the exception of the very very early Air-O-Lite windows, this is the window used LEAST in Airstreams. It is a Hehr "Clearview." Used really for some 58, all of 59 and most all of 60 as far as I know.

The part you are missing is called the "front frame." That's the operable awning part of the window. The part that doesn't move is called the "back frame." This window is similar to the late Hehr Mark 12 or (Hehr Hall Mark 12) windows used from 1961 to 1965.

None of the windows prior to 1969 are being produced anymore. I think salvage is your only way to go at this point.
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRV
With the exception of the very very early Air-O-Lite windows, this is the window used LEAST in Airstreams. It is a Hehr "Clearview." Used really for some 58, all of 59 and most all of 60 as far as I know.

The part you are missing is called the "front frame." That's the operable awning part of the window. The part that doesn't move is called the "back frame." This window is similar to the late Hehr Mark 12 or (Hehr Hall Mark 12) windows used from 1961 to 1965.

None of the windows prior to 1969 are being produced anymore. I think salvage is your only way to go at this point.
Cool! my favorite vendor has a Cavanner too!

Thanks for the prompt service on the Alcoa gutter seal a couple weeks ago. Got around to sealing my leaks yesterday. Stuff works great.

I have been looking for 2 years for suitable replacements for the two I am missing. Its really a shame these windows were not used more. These windows are much nicer then the 61-65's.

Psssssttt You spelled "Caravanner" wrong in you bio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as2r-med.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	17165  
Old 12-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #14
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
ok, so offf to the scrap yard for me and toaster, it seems. now for the big Q... where's one of THOSE?? i imagine an airstream scrap-yard would be about as picked over as a sunday evening yard sale... if it even existed in teh first place...

what about fabrication? i may do a little research on aluminum extrusions. if we could find an extrusion close enough for a decent fit, we could probably have them made. the fabrication shop i used for my bits and bobs could knock it out in no time... if i had the right profile aluminum to start from...

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Psssssttt You spelled "Caravanner" wrong in you bio.
Quote:
Cool! my favorite vendor has a Cavanner too!
Psssssttt You spelled "Caravanner" wrong in your post!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
ok, so off to the scrap yard for me and toaster, it seems. now for the big Q... where's one of THOSE?? i imagine an airstream scrap-yard would be about as picked over as a sunday evening yard sale... if it even existed in teh first place...

what about fabrication? i may do a little research on aluminum extrusions. if we could find an extrusion close enough for a decent fit, we could probably have them made. the fabrication shop i used for my bits and bobs could knock it out in no time... if i had the right profile aluminum to start from...

jp
I'm going to hit that junk camper shell place on Canton rd soon and take a look at a few shells. They have a bunch of used ones out there. See if I can find something with a similar profile and find some manufactures names.

The best Idea I have if I cant find a close match is to layer some bar stock and some tubes to make a frame. See if I can barrow my buddy's Miller210 with spool gun to weld it up. The hardest part I see is making the channel for the lifter arms to ride in.

Sorry I have had a chance to get you some pictures. Year end is keeping me busy at work. Accounting is screaming to get a bunch of PO's closed on equipment that is all over Atlanta before the end of the year so it doesnt hit next years budget. Leave when its dark and get home when its dark. Tomorrow is my last day before a week off and somebody else gets to deal with the accountants.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Psssssttt You spelled "Caravanner" wrong in your post!

Shari

DOoooohhhhhhhh!

Karma rears its ugly head!
Old 12-28-2005, 07:08 AM   #18
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
I'm going to hit that junk camper shell place on Canton rd soon and take a look at a few shells.
cool! let me know what you find. i didn't know there was a place out this way. we could probably use the next model up window, in a pinch. it would require a bit of trimming, but nothing too major. i need to find some drip rail molding for the rear window while i'm at it.

as for the channel. i'll have to look at it again. i bet we can come up with something... the BIG q is, will it be waterproof?

but then again... are they EVER? ha!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 12-28-2005, 09:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:

as for the channel. i'll have to look at it again. i bet we can come up with something... the BIG q is, will it be waterproof?

but then again... are they EVER? ha!

jp
Never water proof is what I am finding. I resealed the whole rear of my coach around the window the point were the end meets main body the center segments, all the way around the window, the gutter and it still leaks.

The camper shell place is right where hwy5 and canton hwy joins. B&M ors something. Its on canton hwy but you can see it from hwy 5 in the curve just north of Sandy Plains. Guys an idiot but he has a bunch of older used shells I can check extrusion profiles on and find some manufactures names. Try and swing by it this week.

Somebody recently posted some info on these gutters. They are still available....I just cant remember who had them. Unfortunately they are not nearly as thick as the originals was the comment.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:04 AM   #20
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The gutters, or external drip caps, are still available through any reputable RV shop. They come in a variety of lengths and ARE a thinner gauge than the originals. The shop I use has them in their catalog and on-line:

http://www.ntpdistribution.com/Via/i...Agent=R0013276

Most of the other shops will have them too. They start at 20" in length and go up to 87".

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags