Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
1958 Overlander Jalousie Window Question

One thing I really liked about our "new" Overlander, is that the front window is a Jalousie style window. We knew that Jalousie windows were common next to the door but had never seen one in the front. Is this a custom design that the original owner ordered? Or was this fairly common?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5160665.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	102636  

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
One thing I really liked about our "new" Overlander, is that the front window is a Jalousie style window. We knew that Jalousie windows were common next to the door but had never seen one in the front. Is this a custom design that the original owner ordered? Or was this fairly common?
Mike.

I have never seen a front window that was jalousie type in any Airstream.

To my knowledge, Airstream would not install a front window like that, since a simple extra blast of air, when towing, would shatter the glass.

Not even to mention, all jalousie's leak. Towing that trailer in a rain, without a rockguard, would certainly allow water to enter the coach. I'm not sure that even with a rock guard, that window would not leak in a rain storm when towing.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I remember reading this thread just before we drove from Oregon to Arizona to pick up this Overlander. We drove back through a few rain storms and one in particular electrical storm with heavy heavy rains driving over a mountain pass towards Needles CA. Cars were pulling over right and left due to the flooding of the roads. Being ignorant Oregonians who live in a rain valley, we pressed on.
We stopped in Needles for gas and I checked the inside of the trailer for leaks. Nothing. Dry as an old desert bone, including around this front Jalousie window. Maybe there is hope.
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Hi, MaryC!
You have Mello Mike's Overlander! I was just thinking about him yesterday.

I love your story about bringing your new trailer home in the rain. Hope you're enjoying your trailer! Have you taken it out much?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
We've had possession of the trailer a week, so after 1500 miles I am content to give towing it a little rest, though it towed beautifully the whole way.
I am currently shopping for someone local to work with to restore the interior for us. Trying to get a response from Flyte Camp, just over the mountains from us but I guess they got too famous and are busy!
Mike did lots of the what I call "boring man stuff" running gear, leaky windows, vents, wiring. The hard stuff. But he never got around to doing the interior. I guess that means that I get to do it just the way I want. Hopefully a sort of fusion of vintage and modern. It seems that Mike has shifted interest from Airstreams to his pickup/camper.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryC View Post
We've had possession of the trailer a week, so after 1500 miles I am content to give towing it a little rest, though it towed beautifully the whole way.
I am currently shopping for someone local to work with to restore the interior for us. Trying to get a response from Flyte Camp, just over the mountains from us but I guess they got too famous and are busy!
Mike did lots of the what I call "boring man stuff" running gear, leaky windows, vents, wiring. The hard stuff. But he never got around to doing the interior. I guess that means that I get to do it just the way I want. Hopefully a sort of fusion of vintage and modern. It seems that Mike has shifted interest from Airstreams to his pickup/camper.
Beautiful trailer Mary. Hope we get to see it in person some day. We are right up the road from you.

Norm
Old 08-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wish that trailer was on the East Coast You got a very nice unit and I love the front window. I had a 58 overlander stop through a year back and it too had a jalousie in the front window. It looked to be a factory install to me and was also covered by a rock guard. It had a set on the street side as well. I figured it was a "florida" model. As a kid we called jalousie windows "florida windows". Unfortunately I never took photos of the trailer and it went to the Port and on to the UK.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Hopefully we can run into each other sometime (so to speak) Norm!

I always thought of jalousies as Florida windows too. I guess the windows are why Mike called this trailer Lucy. I love those windows!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryC View Post
I guess that means that I get to do it just the way I want. Hopefully a sort of fusion of vintage and modern. It seems that Mike has shifted interest from Airstreams to his pickup/camper.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you guys do with this trailer! Mike got it about the same time we got our Overlander so we've had an eye on its progress for a couple of years.

Do you have a name yet?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I am not a big namer of things so what seems to happen is a nick name appears one day and then it seems to stick. I think once the interior starts to take shape I think I might be more inspired to come up with something.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
oakdale , New York
my 58 overlander has a crank out window in the front.
i have started gutting the inside. so far i have the gaucho bed out, the dometic frig and cabinetry, front closet, bedroom dresser, and the bed frame, all out. we removed the belly pan and the chassey is getting worked on tomorrow. there was only rot in the very front and back. the frig is also being picked up by my frig guy tomorrow ( i own a restaurant ) and he will work on it over the winter. before winter sets in i hope to have lucille totally gutted and towable. then in the spring start to rebuild.
i am amazed how the whole thing is built. its like a tank.
really enjoying the whole process
lucille58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1958, 1958 overlander