Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Why so many keys? One, two, three, FOUR!

So we bought an AS (thrilled, yay!)

But one bone-headed thing I noticed was the number of keys:
1) Door key
2) Dead bolt key (can't these be the same as [1]?)
3) External storage key
4) External compartment key

What is going on?

The little compartments are locking a small plastic door that I could easily pry open with a flat head screwdriver for crying out loud! I don't want to lock any of those little doors anyway.

I guess I want to lock the outside storage areas. Fine, they have a lock.

Why the two separate front door keys? Redundant! (I do like the deadbolt however)

Ugh. Is there any way to eliminate a couple of these?
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nope. Bog standard arrangement.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Our 2002 has four keys and has since we bought it new. Doesn't bother me because of fooling with them for so long

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Wait until you add in a hitch lock key, hitch receiver lock key, and a bike key if you bring bikes!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I keep tack of which is which the key to the rear has an ‘R’ in the serial #, the door and deadbolt are easy,so that leaves one for fresh water and shower door, others hitch lock, etc. are a little trickier. I hope senility holds off, I’ll be in trouble.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:28 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
You can leave the water and shower compartment key in the lock and don't use the door lock, only the deadbolt.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The little shower and water doors are standard chs751 locks which are pretty universal. Many RVs use the same key.

The storage compartment keys at least aren’t chs751’s but I heard from the dealer most Airstreams use the same key for those, too.

Airstream does all this for their convenience, not yours. If you store valuable things in the storage compartments changing those keys is something worth considering. You could also swap out the water/shower door chs751 keys if you want them to be the same as the storage compartments. https://shoprvlocks.com/ is one place that sells those parts.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
I seperate my TV keys & AS keys on two seperate rings. I further put each key on it's own small ring so I can remove the smaller ring from the larger ring while being used. After a few trips I have gotten used to the numbers on the keys for quick reference. While this is quite the pain, this is now just part of my routine. I do agree that there are too many keys.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
WE have

1-dead bolt
2-door
3-x2 outside storage
4-outside shower door
5-water fill door
6-hitch lock
7-coupler vault
8-trimax wheel locks

The only thing NOT locked is the crap tank drain valve because I figure nobody wants what's stored there!
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
Don't forget the stabilizer door key. That makes 10 with hitch lock the two for our storage unit. Lots of keys. As a previous poster said, several of these keys are universal on RVs which is interesting as well and doesn't give a sense of security.
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Wait until you add in a hitch lock key, hitch receiver lock key, and a bike key if you bring bikes!
I finally got anal about keys and printed labels for plastic key tags. The keys live in the truck's console and never leave except when used.
Coupler lock, cable lock for surge protector, hitch lock, lock for propane tanks, cable lock for 30 amp surge in storage building, cable lock on the generator. There's a pile.
Airstream keys go in a blue zipper pouch in the truck. The storage bay keys get a black band while the water fill key gets a red band.
Never set the keys on the bumper and walk away.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #12
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
WE have

1-dead bolt
2-door
3-x2 outside storage
4-outside shower door
5-water fill door
6-hitch lock
7-coupler vault
8-trimax wheel locks

The only thing NOT locked is the crap tank drain valve because I figure nobody wants what's stored there!
Relatively the same.

I carry two sets of keyrings.

1. For essentials, door, deadbolt
2. For everything else. (stays inside the rig by the door)
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Suggestion:
1) Always leave one set of keys in the TV (we have keyless entry pad on pickup) or somewhere else. NEVER put both sets of keys in the trailer!!!
2) Get a "Tile" to find the keys if lost. It works with your bluetooth on your phone. We use ours often.

I've heard of the main door coming open. Recommendation to lock both locks on main door to prevent it from coming open and blowing off. That will be our plan next year. However our dead bolt right now is very hard to open and shut. If anyone has an idea how to get that to work better I'm open to suggestions
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Just one more key from Airstream

Add one more unique key if you have a rear hatch.
I would love to see a keypad main door lock for Airstreams like the ones available for standard RV doors. No retrofit available to my knowledge. Better still take a lesson from automotive industry and add keyless entry and all door locking unlocking.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Multiple Rings

We keep the door keys on one ring and all of the auxiliaries on another. The door keys stay with us; the other keys live in the trailer. When we need them, we get them out and when the trailer goes into storage, we know exactly where to find them the next time we go out. Of course, this doesn't reduce the number of keys - just the walkaround tonnage.
A locksmith might be able to advise on the possibility of rekeying or installing a standard set of locks around the outside.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Ugh. Is there any way to eliminate a couple of these?
Locksmith
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Monument , Colorado
6 keys...

I've got a 2000 Airstream Landyacht 30 which has 6 keys. One for the ignition, one for the drivers door, two for the main entrance door, one for outside compartments and another one for the small access door for a/c cords. Some of the keys are inserted with the keys teeth facing down and others with the teeth facing up. What a marvelous idea they came up with to screw with a users mind. Unbelievable to say the least. Also, while driving back home from a trip last year, our 19-inch 40-lb RCA TV literally fell out of the dash when we hit a pothole. Airstream has no knowledge of how the TV was installed or even how it is supposed to be held in the dash. Apparently their records only go back to 2006 models. I have since installed a flat screen to fill to hole left by the original model.
parnless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
The little shower and water doors are standard chs751 locks which are pretty universal. Many RVs use the same key.

The storage compartment keys at least aren’t chs751’s but I heard from the dealer most Airstreams use the same key for those, too.

Airstream does all this for their convenience, not yours. If you store valuable things in the storage compartments changing those keys is something worth considering. You could also swap out the water/shower door chs751 keys if you want them to be the same as the storage compartments. https://shoprvlocks.com/ is one place that sells those parts.
Ordering the same from Lowe’s or Wal-Mart is half the price.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Ordering the same from Lowe’s or Wal-Mart is half the price.
Glad that works. What’s special about that Shoprvlocks site is they have measuring guides and a bunch different parts to adapt to weird sizes. If a standard one from Lowes works that’s even better.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
After I finally memorized which key is for what, we decided to trade for a 2020 AS. In 2020 at least they decided to go with one key for all external storage, battery compartment, water fill, outdoor shower.
Different keys for the door, however.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote