Old 01-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Aurora , Colorado
Iíve been using this system for 20+ years.
1) I put a colored plastic collar on each key. Red for the deadbolt, blue for water hatches, etc. Be sure to use the same coding for all sets of keys.
2) Keep a full set of keys in the TV, which has keyless entry. Keep a full set of keys in the RV. Carry a full set on my person.
3) I also have partial sets for ďguestsĒ which only open the door (latch & deadbolt). One of these is also hidden in a Hide-A-Key.
4) My hitch lock is a combination lock; no key required,
SPS Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Another great thread illustrating owner frustrations and improvised solutions as well as Airstream's (usually slow) response (finally making all the keys the same for 2020 models).

Two additions to the above suggestions:

(1) I use combination cable locks to secure my Progressive Dynamics power management module to the pedestal and my portable Zamp solar panel to the frame. Cables can be cut by determined thieves, but this will slow down the opportunistic person.

(2) I found a dual purpose solution to securing my LPG tanks (the red lock I bought with my first Airstream 5 years ago would not fit). I bought a lockbox similar to what real estate agents use on houses for sale. I drilled holes that align through the handle that secures the LPG cover to the cover frame and then locked it in place with the lockbox. The lockbox is a a combination lock and also contains spare keys to allow me entry to the Airstream door. I keep a spare set of all other keys inside the Airstream. I will always have access even if I lose my keys on a day outing or show up at the storage lot having forgotten my keys (this has happened).
Old 01-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
San Jose , California
Donít forget the church key

We keep two sets on key organizers - storing one in the tow vehicle and the other clipped to a belt loop. But donít forget the church key!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71686236-11C2-42C9-AFF5-B2C9984B9C1D.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	358464  
madmac157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #24
BeemerPilot

1975 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Iíve color coded the licks with the keys using Q-tips and leftover enamel paints I had around. Still a lot of keys but itís quick to see which key fits the specific lock.
BeemerPilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fair Play , South Carolina
I no longer remember the dead bolt name but it shows up on google for about 50$. The install is tricky to align but went ok with some patience.
Drewkonopka5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
. . . yawn . . . the keys look different . . . easy to ID . . . welcome to life. . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Too many keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
So we bought an AS (thrilled, yay!)

But one bone-headed thing I noticed was the number of keys:
1) Door key
2) Dead bolt key (can't these be the same as [1]?)
3) External storage key
4) External compartment key

What is going on?

The little compartments are locking a small plastic door that I could easily pry open with a flat head screwdriver for crying out loud! I don't want to lock any of those little doors anyway.

I guess I want to lock the outside storage areas. Fine, they have a lock.

Why the two separate front door keys? Redundant! (I do like the deadbolt however)

Ugh. Is there any way to eliminate a couple of these?
With a little effort you could remove the dead bolt take it and one of the regular door lock keys to a LOCK SMITH (not Home Depot or Walmart) cost about $10.00 per lock.
I had 2 sets of 2 locks all keyed alike recently. Maybe this would help. Good luck.
sctinman44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
As mentioned previously, making an extra copy and just leaving the key in the lock is an easy (but irritating) fix for some of these, if you aren't worried about securing them. I leave the key in my water fill, and front storage. If someone wants to commit a crime to take my freshwater hose and blocks....they must need them pretty badly (or suffer from a fairly serious mental disorder, or both!).

I also have a 'trick' where I use nail polish to paint a small dot on the body of the lock, and a matching dot on the key. Helps ID the keys really quickly.
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote