Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
whatchamacallit latch/catch- installation?

I have a new one of these puppies I want to put on as an outside door holder open thingy. I still have the other end of the latch still mounted on my door. I know it is spring loaded and there are 2 mounting screws in the innards of the latch. But I can't fingure how to take them apart to install em. Do you stick something inside somewhere to release it, or what? There are also a couple of old ones on the coach that serve no purpose. I would like to remove them in reuseable condition rather than smash them to smitherines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hpim0597.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	37704  
Old 05-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I have a new one of these puppies I want to put on as an outside door holder open thingy. I still have the other end of the latch still mounted on my door. I know it is spring loaded and there are 2 mounting screws in the innards of the latch. But I can't fingure how to take them apart to install em. Do you stick something inside somewhere to release it, or what? There are also a couple of old ones on the coach that serve no purpose. I would like to remove them in reuseable condition rather than smash them to smitherines.
OK just did it, I'm sitting in my shell off project. Pull the booger all the way back against the sping. Then while holding it back, insert a screwdriver under the back part of the latch and gently pry it off. Don't lose the spring. All the way back.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You don't want to break one of those. Looked everywhere for a replacement for our door. Airstream said no longer made and all the local RV dealers looked at it and shrugged their shoulders - one seemed to recall it but said he hadn't seen one in years. Found 4 or 5 on Ebay and snagged them - they are handy and I'd grab a few more if I could find them.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thanks guys I had a feeling they were worth their weight in gold!!!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
What are they made of?

I can make a 100% non shrinking silicone mole of the part and perhaps reproduce them in a cast urethane material which gets hard but still has a little flex.

PM me if you are interested.

PS: the molding process is TOTALLY non-destructive to the original model.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
What are they made of?

I can make a 100% non shrinking silicone mole of the part and perhaps reproduce them in a cast urethane material which gets hard but still has a little flex.
I know I could use a few of them. I have bought the new type with an aluminum housing because you can't find the originals. Made of some kind of impact resistant plastic. I would be glad to send you some partial latches if you want. I probably have enough good ones to meet my needs for now. But it might be worth selling them. As mentioned above they are a 2 part unit, spring loaded. They were original on my 71 and 73 on which they were used as a door hold back, on the screen door, and on the front window rock guard.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I'd say urethane is a good guess. They are firm but the material will flex a little. We have them in all the places Marshall mentions plus, they are on the rear bumper hatch as latches.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Those things are also used to hold down the cover on the back bumper of 1970's coaches.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
They also hold down the rock guard on my 72. One popped off and I've been trying to figure out how to get it apart. I'll try the method listed above.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
What are they made of?

PM me if you are interested.

PS: the molding process is TOTALLY non-destructive to the original model.
I ran ito a could of old codgers that were making repro tail light lenses for vintage motorcycles using the same technique. One even made a headlight lens and once polished, looked like glass. It can even be chromed. I've done some messing with it and it's not to hard to make simple parts and the materials weren't awfly expensive, especially when compared to OEM NLA prices.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Set of cabinet latches on Ebay. I purchased four from this guy last fall. The have the black catches included so they could be used as a replacement for other areas.

eBay Motors: AIRSTREAM INTERIOR DOOR LATCHES (item 320130355729 end time Jun-29-07 11:15:45 PDT)
Old 06-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Golden Valley , Minnesota
Southco latch

This is what I believe I have on my 2005 International in various places:
Southco - C3-803 :: C3 - Grabber Catch Latches
HilaryStep is offline   Reply With Quote