Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Warped Door?

I mentioned this problem in my "Found One!" thread, but I figured I'd put it out here for everybody to see, because it doesn't seem to be a common problem.

On my '73 29' Ambassador (that I'm picking up tomorrow...Yippee!!), the entry door is pulled out at the top front corner. I think maybe the wind caused it and another member thinks the trailer has settled and caused the gap. It's quite noticeable and the previous owner just rigged an extra seal in the gap to stop the draft. It doesn't appear to leak but I'll definitely be fixing the problem come heck or high water, but it would be nice to know what the cause is and any possible repair ideas. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. Thank You!

Ben
Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

warped?

I warped my door when I thought it was locked and it wasn't. It blew open at 65 mph and"warped it." I was able to bend it back to a reasonable fit by manhandling it and using wedges.

Good luck,
dik
dikku@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Charlie Burke had recommended, on another site, to use a 2x4 at the bottom of the door to keep it from closing. Push in on the top until it bends back into shape. This is one method.
You can also use the method that Airstream recommended in the service manuals.
I don't have it handy right now but they have a step-by-step procedure that requires you to drill out the rivets on the interior skin.
There are several threads here that go through both methods. Just do a search for "warped door". That should turn up something for you. If not, PM me and I will scan the procedure out of my service manual.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
My warped hard to close door was rotten floor with bad repair. New floor and the door lines up perfectly.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I know for a fact that the door is warped now that she's in my driveway. If you're standing outside the door looking at it, it's pulled out at the top right corner. You can open the door and look at it's edge and see it clearly. I think the "came open goin' down the road" theory is sound. I'm going to carefully try the 2x4 method (put it in the bottom so the door won't shut and push on the top). It will be easy to tell when it's right because the screen door is NOT warped and I can use it as a guide. Wish me luck!

Ben
Old 05-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fort Collins , Colorado
warped door

I agree w the method quoted by Pattersontoo. When I purchased my 1977 Minuet the door was warped, like yours open at the top. My neighbor (who often buys wrecked cars for the simple joy of putting them back together)
came over w a 2X4, wedged the door open on the bottom and then proceeded to really do some serious leaning on the top. After the initial leaning, he leaned some more and then the door when closed fit as it had not for quite awhile.
This is the same neighbor that removed two dents in another Airstream with only a suction cup tool and a rubber mallet (the mallet was used sparingly and judiciosly). The result in this case was 97% or there abouts.
kenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Someone had posted about it being a cast frame and being gentle with.
Using the pop rivet removal requires that you loosen ONLY the top set of rivets. You should NOT attempt this method unless you have the EXACT method of performing this method.
I am not sure what happened to that post but I did receive it in an email notification.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
We are warped also...

Funny this thread popped up because I noticed that our door is also warped. I was planning on my own to do exactly what is being discussed here - block the door open at the bottom and apply calibrated latteral force at the top to straighten.
Interesting about the mention of a bad floor repair causing one door to not work... Hope we are O.K. in that dept. We'll know soon as we are going to extract the carpet & pad.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I'm 100% sure mine isn't a floor problem...it's just so blatently obvious that the door is bent out. I'll fix it. Hope yours isn't a floor problem. Seems like it's pretty common for the doors to have this problem from flying open going down the road. Good luck!

Ben