Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Fort McCoy , Florida
TRAPPED in MY Airstream!

Went to let the dog out this Am in Florida-29F out and she did not want to stay our long. 5 min and two barks later I went to let her in and the door would not work. I was trapped! I am full timing in a 1972 29 Ambassador and I looked around at the sealed windows and screens, thought about my storage access openings and sat down and drank a cup of coffee. I attempted to slid a piece of metal and "pop" the latch-worked on the thing for an hour-called my son and he tried from the outside-decided not to mess with the hinges and finally unscrewed the internal mechanism and forced it out through the outside of the door. Minor scratches to door frame, but they will buff out and thought; WHAT ABOUT A FIRE? Upon inspecting the lock it appears that a pin had popped from the stem that operates the action. Weak design. I have a deadbolt, so I will look for a replacements for the internal parts. I know that they want unbelievable prices for new latches. The dog is upset as well. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken latch.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	93420  
Mrwaterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Been there, done that! However it was in a 5th wheel we once had... hubby couldn't get the door to open, had to take out a window, PITA! Your notion about fire is very important.... or other emergency.... we should all have an escape plan and options! Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention!

Camp safely!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwaterway View Post
Went to let the dog out this Am in Florida-29F out and she did not want to stay our long. 5 min and two barks later I went to let her in and the door would not work. I was trapped! I am full timing in a 1972 29 Ambassador and I looked around at the sealed windows and screens, thought about my storage access openings and sat down and drank a cup of coffee. I attempted to slid a piece of metal and "pop" the latch-worked on the thing for an hour-called my son and he tried from the outside-decided not to mess with the hinges and finally unscrewed the internal mechanism and forced it out through the outside of the door. Minor scratches to door frame, but they will buff out and thought; WHAT ABOUT A FIRE? Upon inspecting the lock it appears that a pin had popped from the stem that operates the action. Weak design. I have a deadbolt, so I will look for a replacements for the internal parts. I know that they want unbelievable prices for new latches. The dog is upset as well. .
Not only is a new KT lock price, out of sight, so is the replacement parts. Make sure you have your seat belt fastened, when you find out the price of a new striker bolt, and probably a new striker pocket as well.

Slamming the door, causes that failure, in time. Slamming the door becomes necessary, when the striker bolt is not properly lubed with silicone spray.

Welding that shaft back in place, is a very bad idea, since it would soon fail again.

You might be better off, changing the lock out to the L-100 Special, model.

You would need to make a couple of adapter plates.

BUT, you will save your self a couple of hundred dollars, or more.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Yikes, trapped inside.

This is the infamous Keeler door lock that the no longer made. Bummer
Inland RV has a retrofit kit that might work, so does ODM in NC.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwaterway View Post
...I was trapped!... WHAT ABOUT A FIRE?...
reading and PICTURES that may or may not b useful...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ted-17997.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...afe-39545.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
Yikes, trapped inside.

This is the infamous Keeler door lock that the no longer made. Bummer
Inland RV has a retrofit kit that might work, so does ODM in NC.
Greg,

Mrwaterway, has a "KT" lock that was used from 1970 to 1977.

The Keeler Brass lock was used from 1978 to about 1985 or so. I am not at my office, so I cannot look up the exact dates. Then they went out of business, and their lock was replaced by a GM lock.

Parts prices for the KT lock, have reached the "ridiculous"
level, a while back, and are still rising.

Some replacement kits are available for some of those years, at far less prices, but, some owners, insist on keeping the coach "original."

Anyd
Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
weak design?

2010-1972=38years. $500/38=13.16 per year. I admit I "slam" my door, too. So how long would the silly thing last if we didn't "slam" it? The important thing about this thread is gettin' out of the unit-even a minor slow down is bad, let alone a major slow down-my latch has been working poorly and I have been ignoring it...I will disassemble it after this post-the beds are all apart anyhow, and I think I will yard the furnace out for a clean/lube. Comes apart easy, goes back together slowly..... BTW, my 85 has an "Exit" Window at the rear-and I think the wrap around privacy shields would stop ya from gettin' out easily-anyone attempt a practice run on this? chime in if you would, please, thank you.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
2010-1972=38years. $500/38=13.16 per year. I admit I "slam" my door, too. So how long would the silly thing last if we didn't "slam" it?
Who knows.

But slamming the door is easily fixed with silicone spray, on the striker bolt and in the striker pocket. However, that's assuming those parts are not worn.

Is there a groove in the striker bolt?

Quote:
The important thing about this thread is gettin' out of the unit-even a minor slow down is bad, let alone a major slow down-my latch has been working poorly and I have been ignoring it
Now you know what happens with your Airstream when you ignore a problem. It "WILL BITE YOU" when you least expect it. Fortunately for you, this happened while you were at home.

You can go through any window, in an emergency. just open the window and punch or kick the screening out.

So you ruin the screening!!!!

Who cares, as long as your safe.

Andy
Old 02-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Longview , Texas
I too have gotten myself trapped inside my 1981 31ft. Excella this evening. This is my first AS and we are in the process of fixing it up. I went out the door to do some work on the outside. When I tried to go back in, the handle was freely turning but nothing seemed to be catching and the door wouldn't open. Fortunately for me I have been working on the windows and was able to crawl back in through the front. I do admit that we've been pulling the door really hard to shut it because it wasn't staying shut. After reading this post I understand that this is a lesson. I knew something was wrong with the door but was more excited about working on the interior - mistake - should have given it the attention it needed sooner and maybe this wouldn't have happened.

So...I've removed the plate around the door latch on the inside and I can see the broken piece. Please excuse my ignorance as I don't know what the pieces are actually called. In the pic I've posed you can see the area I'm talking about inside the red oval. I guess I will have to replace the assembly so I have a few questions:

1) Where do I find this part for my '81 Excella?

2) Is there any way I can remove the latch so that I can at least go in and out of the door until I'm able to replace it?

Thanks in advance for any info that will help me out!

boo_n_sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo_n_sue View Post
I too have gotten myself trapped inside my 1981 31ft. Excella this evening. This is my first AS and we are in the process of fixing it up. I went out the door to do some work on the outside. When I tried to go back in, the handle was freely turning but nothing seemed to be catching and the door wouldn't open. Fortunately for me I have been working on the windows and was able to crawl back in through the front. I do admit that we've been pulling the door really hard to shut it because it wasn't staying shut. After reading this post I understand that this is a lesson. I knew something was wrong with the door but was more excited about working on the interior - mistake - should have given it the attention it needed sooner and maybe this wouldn't have happened.

So...I've removed the plate around the door latch on the inside and I can see the broken piece. Please excuse my ignorance as I don't know what the pieces are actually called. In the pic I've posed you can see the area I'm talking about inside the red oval. I guess I will have to replace the assembly so I have a few questions:

2) Is there any way I can remove the latch so that I can at least go in and out of the door until I'm able to replace it?

You have a "Keeler Brass" lock.

That company went out of business about 20 years ago.

The only part that is available, and not very easily installed, id the tumbler.

There are replacement kits available, that require installing an adapter plate on the inside and outside, that use a lock that Airstream has now used for several years.

Upgrading to that kit, is the only way you can easily resolve the issue, unless you have a machine shop create some parts, but then, you still have a lock that's over 20 years old.

Andy
Old 02-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:

Hi boo_n_sue, Take a look here. Keeler Lock Repair Kit KLRkit ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart and Inland RV Center Inc. kits to fix a Keeler lock.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Longview , Texas
Thanks Andy and Lee. Any ideas on how to get the door open? Do I have to remove hinges that are accessed from the outside? I'll definitely have to replace the assembly with the newer parts that are available but I'd like to at least get the door open so I can quit crawling in and out of the window.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy and Lee. Any ideas on how to get the door open? Do I have to remove hinges that are accessed from the outside? I'll definitely have to replace the assembly with the newer parts that are available but I'd like to at least get the door open so I can quit crawling in and out of the window.
I can tell you how to enter the trailer, but not in a PM or on this Forums.

I will only do it on the telephone.

But, I am in Hawaii and I will not return to my office until 2-15.

However, you can call us this Monday and ask for Greg.

He can share that info with you.

There is no need to disassemble anything.

Andy
Old 02-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My lock broke once too. Sounds like you're able to get in & out of the trailer (I had to use the window too). I was able to get the lock out with the door closed. I don't think it was too hard, since I did it myself. I think it was just a matter of removing screws & sliding the plate back with a screwdriver. The piece that broke on yours is the piece on the end of the spring. A friend who is a machinist made a new end for mine & we put it back it. Things are fine now, but I NEVER slam the door anymore!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp broken lock 1.bmp (900.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: bmp broken lock 2.bmp (900.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: bmp broken lock 3.bmp (900.1 KB, 50 views)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Well what do you know, I had to break into my trailer the other night, now there is a big hole in my screen too. Luckily my skinny little arm could reach the handle and turn the button to open the door. I can't blame anything but impatience and the inablility to find my keys. I will have to check to see if I have that Keeler thing. Oh, by the way, I get the message

cclarkego
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
Well what do you know, I had to break into my trailer the other night, now there is a big hole in my screen too. Luckily my skinny little arm could reach the handle and turn the button to open the door. I can't blame anything but impatience and the inablility to find my keys. I will have to check to see if I have that Keeler thing. Oh, by the way, I get the message

cclarkego
The lock for the 1966 models was a Bargmann L-100 Special, which has the extended striker bolt.

That lock seldom fails, but, a few do.

When that happens, replacing the lock is the best way to go, since it will only probably last another 40 years. Check the striker pocket as well, for wear. If that needs replacing as well, then might as well add a new door gasket.

The biggest failure with that lock, was breaking off the interior handle.

Andy
Old 02-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Longview , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Hi boo_n_sue, Take a look here. Keeler Lock Repair Kit KLRkit ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart and Inland RV Center Inc. kits to fix a Keeler lock.
Thanks for the info on the kits to replace the latch assembly. There's a big price difference between Inland RV and Out-of-Door Mart. The kits look identical except that ODMRV provides the rivets. Does anyone know why the kit at ODMRV is only about $60 and at Inland RV it's about $192? I'm not opposed to paying a higher price if it's a better quality assembly.

I did get the latch removed so I can now go in and out of the door. I think replacing it with all new hardware is probably the way to go. The piece that broke seems pretty flimsy and I'd hate to go to the trouble and cost of having a new piece fabricated. It would probably cost me more than just buying the new hardware which I think I can probably install myself.

Tags
cannot go outside, emergency exit, trapped, door