Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Take door off?

Hello, I am the fellow with the bear bend post earlier this week. I am a newbie. I have a 72 International. I want to take the door off the trailer. Can someone give me advice on the proper way to do this? Thanks
maxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

dynomite..........
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Short of inviting the bear back to finish the job, I'm not sure. I do know that you shouldn't try to drive the hinge pins out though. I'm sure that someone "in the know" will step up with an answer. P
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxie
I want to take the door off the trailer. Can someone give me advice on the proper way to do this? Thanks
Maxie, I'll assume your door hinges are fixed in the same way as mine, and all the other Airstreams I have seen. The hinges are held on to the body with 4 setscrews, 2 for each hinge. These are threaded like bolts, but they have a slotted countersunk head, like a screw. In an ideal world, the nuts on the inside, hidden between the two skins, would be captive. They are not! They are embedded in some goop. Sometimes the goop holds the hidden nuts sufficiently so that, using a screwdriver, the setscrews come out, leaving the nuts fixed in the goop. Most of the time, however, the nuts rotate in the goop. In this case, you have to access the nuts from inside. One way, that I have not tried, is to drill out some rivets and prise the inner aluminium skin away from the frame, so that a wrench may be inserted. I didn't think that would work on my trailer, without causing some ugly damage. I decided to use a metal hole cutter to remove 4 neat holes about 1 inch diameter to reveal the nuts. With a thin screwdriver in the slot, and a thin drill bit placed inside the trailer, I used absence of relative movement when I moved my eye to indicate the exact spot to drill. I then used a long socket to hold the nuts while turning the heads with a screwdriver. To blank off the holes I purchased four of the covers that are pushed into electrical outlets to keep them safe from little fingers. I cut off the prongs, and lightly glued the covers over the holes. If I ever need to remove the door I can flick off the covers to remove the nuts. Good luck! Nick.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
Craftsman

Couldn't the nuts be replaced with nutserts? Installs just like a rivet. Is there a reason that Airstream doesn't do this in the first place?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Hard to do

I found an Airstream in the junk yard, see my photo library. Well, I got the door off and man, cutting through the interior skin was tough to get to the nuts, and I wasn't trying to be nice to it....and there were 4 nuts on the backside holding the hinge to the body..it was a 68 Overlander. I have to ask, why not try to drive the hinge pin out? Just curious.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
The entry door on a '72 Overlander had only one center hinge with three fastening screws. The heads of the screws are blocked by the hinge pin, so I think you will have to remove the pin to get the door off. I would suggest you looseen the center set screw, lubricate the hinge pin with silicon spray, then gently tap the pin out.
I'm attaching a pic of the hinge on a 1968 door for illustration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door hinge.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	14414  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

can we see the bear damaged door?
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:06 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

I got the door off

Took out a little center pin that was horizontal and then gently tapped out the hinge pin with the help of silicon. Now to get it fixed. I will send pictures when I get them back. Thanks for all the helpful advice everybody.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:47 AM   #10
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
maxie, best of luck in getting your door fixed. I will repeat my offer that I made on your other thread. I have a nice 1968 door which might well be the same as your 1972 door other than the lockset.
I would need a schematic from you showing all dimensions,
Your cost would be the actual price of shipping plus $50 for my cost in getting it crated and shipped.
I kept this door only because it is an exact replacement for the door on my '66 GT and I have a shed full of Airstream parts. If a fellow Airstreamer has need for the door, I will part with it, but only with the understanding that it will fit your trailer. My door has no lockset, but I think it it is very possible that you could adapt your lockset to my door. I want to be clear that I am just trying to help rather than trying to profit. If you cannot find an exact replacement, let me know.
The doors look very similar on the '68 and '72.
Attached Images

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Thank you so much

Rog, What a generous offer. My brother in law is right now trying to repair the door the bear bent. He has taken it apart, welded it and is reinforcing the weld with other aluminum plates on the inside. He will be done in the next week or so. Then I will try it on and see if it seals. If I can't get it to seal, I will positively write you at that point with all the dimensions. I really appreciate the offer and the fact that you followed up with me. I will try to talk to some techies at Airstream in the meanwhile and get the dimensions that way, so I know if there is a match.