Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Stupid Dead Bolt Lock!!!!

It locked us out of the trailer!

We went to a rally this last weekend and when we got there I unlocked the key lock, but the door wouldn't open because the dead bolt lock had slid foward and locked the door from the inside.

We finally got in after recruiting some help to tell me what not to do, but it was an ordeal, to say the least. I'll not post how I did it, but I'm sure Andy will tell you if you give him a call.

Needless to say, there is no longer a dead bolt pin in our door lock. It WILL NOT happen again!
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
It locked us out of the trailer!

We went to a rally this last weekend and when we got there I unlocked the key lock, but the door wouldn't open because the dead bolt lock had slid foward and locked the door from the inside.

We finally got in after recruiting some help to tell me what not to do, but it was an ordeal, to say the least. I'll not post how I did it, but I'm sure Andy will tell you if you give him a call.

Needless to say, there is no longer a dead bolt pin in our door lock. It WILL NOT happen again!
Steve.

Sorry you got locked out, but several hundred also belong to that club.

Some time back, I asked the head of parts and service what can be done to prevent the lockout, especially when the door is slammed shut.

His answer was amazing.

Don't slam the door.

As a result of that uncalled for comment, we came up with the "lock out kit."

Why haven't you sent us a SASE for the lock out kit?

Several hundred have, since it's no charge. It takes less than 5 minutes to install it.

You should keep the dead bolt in service.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I am a member of that not so exclusive club and because of extensive experience in this field have held office. I found 2 ways to avoid the lock out. 1st have a tiny bungee to hold the dead bolt open. 2nd a piece of wire coat hanger bent at right angles on each end. You can slide the coat hanger down till it hits the dead bolt and then a flick of the wrist on the other bent end and voila.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I will vouch for Andy's lock out kit. It worked for me and easy to install. The best part is it's free!...well the cost of 2 postage stamps...thanks Andy!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Ditto what CAstreamer said.
We also have had two extra sets of keys made and we make sure there is always one in the TV.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Some time back, I asked the head of parts and service what can be done to prevent the lockout, especially when the door is slammed shut.

His answer was amazing.

Don't slam the door.

As a result of that uncalled for comment, we came up with the "lock out kit."

Andy

This is exactly the kind of mind numbing comments from a manufacturer that is not only out of touch, but way, way, way off the reservation out of touch with it's customer base.........and sadly this is not the only thing either.

The simple fact is that the shells torque in certain situations, and not all due to the the stabilizer jacks being over torqued in use. How about building a trailer that didn't need to have the door slammed shut in order to close properly, let alone have to engineer a work around so that the door doesn't lock because of the door doesn't close properly? I mean really, if Andy from Inland can send this out to hundreds of customers by these customers simply sending SASE, then why can't the factory do something? Both my Airstreams took more than a simple push or pull to close. The 2003 needed to be slammed or pulled hard to close under any circumstance. My 2004 if I extend the hitch jack due to a slant in a campsite, the farther I extend the hitch jack, the worse the door gets, even before I extend my stabilizer jacks.....so you see, the shell is torquing somehow. Once I retract, the symptom goes away and norm operation of the door is as expected.

Sigh......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
I got locked out of my Bambi @ 5 a.m., with my dog inside, while camping. I smashed in the emergency window with a rock, causing a huge mess.

Why would such expensive trailers supposedly known for quality have such a "key" component prone to failure? Wildly disappointing and makes me wonder about the Airstream brand.

I will say that Airstream customer service is pretty good, tho.
rambn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Dont slam the door

DOOR SLAM.This is what you have to do after someone slams a door that does not have Andy's free door lock kit and you do not have a key.
I took This photo at 4CU rally, Dead Horse 3 after someone slamed their door.
It was good luck that the toilet seat was down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DH15.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	76430  
Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Re Jim's 4CU rally photo

In this case we luckily had an adult thin enough to fit through the window (mysteriously all children had disappeared), and a window we could actually take apart and remove. I will be sending Andy the SASE.
-KL
Old 03-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I will vouch for Andy's lock out kit. It worked for me and easy to install. The best part is it's free!...well the cost of 2 postage stamps...thanks Andy!
And I got mine back when stamps were only 36 cents!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Steve,

Take Andy up on his offer. It works. Follow his advice on having the deadbolt. I came to the end of a very rough construction section. The only lock holding was the deadbolt.

Spare keys are also cheap insurance.

Jim
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I don't understand the problem. How does this deadbolt, in the newer Airstreams, differ from a regular house dead bolt to let it turn and lock you out when you slam the door? I have an older trailer that didn't come with a deadbolt at the door but when I visited Airstream a couple of years ago I had them install one for me. It is a regular house type with a solid barrel that slides into the doors frame. I have to physically turn the key to enguage the locking barrel into the door. Am I missing something? Someone please explain, I don't want to be locked out because I simply did not understand how this was happening to all of you.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
The deadbolt lock in the newer trailers is not really a deadbolt, as you would think. It is really more like a lock pin that slides from the door into the jam and pins the door closed, and is accessable from the inside only. Sort of a night security lock on the door. Anyway, there is little to no resistance to the pin sliding, and in my case I believe it slid to the locked position on a rough and hilly back country road.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
SteveH
Now I understand, thanks!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Lock out kit.

We have a little problem with the "postal system" with the lock out kit.

They insist on 2 stamps.

So please, when you send in your SASE for the "FREE" lockout kit, please put 2 stamps on the return envelope.

Our Feds will love you for it.

Come and get them folks, they are free.

Don't wait for that lockout, because "IT WILL HAPPEN" when you least expect it.

Ask those that have been there, done that.

Andy

Andy
Old 03-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
We have a little problem with the "postal system" with the lock out kit.

They insist on 2 stamps.

So please, when you send in your SASE for the "FREE" lockout kit, please put 2 stamps on the return envelope.

Our Feds will love you for it.

Come and get them folks, they are free.

Don't wait for that lockout, because "IT WILL HAPPEN" when you least expect it.

Ask those that have been there, done that.

Andy

Andy
Wish you had posted this yesterday, Andy. Mine left here yesterday with one stamp.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Wish you had posted this yesterday, Andy. Mine left here yesterday with one stamp.
Thats ok.

Andy
Old 03-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Oh dear ours left with one stamp, but I think it is a forever stamp, I guess it still would have to be two?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I am a member of the lock out club too. My story is a little different though. I was camping with 4 kids (none of them mine either), all the other adults were to join us on the 2nd day. We went to get some ice and came back to a door that would not open. Well, I had been told that I needed to replace the hinge by a mechanic at a frame shop where something similar had happened. So I knew immediately what it was and what to do. When the other "adults" arrived, we told them of our predicament. It took 5 big, strong men to pull the hinge out (while all of us women watched--cute butts too!!!). I went in the trailer and got the new hinge while they took the lock out. We (or the 5 big, strong men) put the new hinge in and we bungee corded the door for the rest of the weekend and to get it home. Luckily, I have a mechanic friend that had the part and knew how to fix it. Just another day in Paradise!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Another lock-out member here. At Disney's Fort Wilderness4 years ago. My wife and I stepped under the awning for earlier morning coffee while our 7 year old daughter slept. After that relaxing quite first cup it was time to go in BUT...

We banged, knocked called her name but couldn't shout because we didn't want to wake neighbors. I had NO intention of spending that much time outside the trailer in my boxer shorts! at least without a second cup! Extra set of keys now in truck.
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote