Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2020, 09:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Shower door magnetic strip not working

11 years Airstreaming with two different trailers, well over 125K miles with all kinds of repair issues I was able to resolve, but this one doesn't make sense. For some reason the magnetic strip keeping the shower door closed has decided to go on strike and quit working. Replaced both strips and still won't work.

Our dealer (a good one) is stumped too. They want to replace the door and adjacent door strike. This seems like a potential disaster to me. The door strike post is a glued assembly and replacing it could crack the shower fiberglass. BTW, the door is straight as an arrow as is the adjacent post. They make contact at the top but at the bottom there is a gap of less than 1/8" The two strips will hold a light metallic object like a safety pin but seem to reject each other.

Anyone else run into this problem? Thanks in advance
Old 10-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Think 3rd grade science. Two bar magnets... opposite polar ends attract, N to N or S to S poles repel each other. Would it be possible to reverse one of the strips and see if the problem fixes itself? Another possibility... is something nearby exerting a more powerful magnetic field that could have demagnatized the strips? Got a charger for a tire inflater, etc.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I already tried that. I even removed one of the strips and they stick together just fine in either alignment. There seems to be no polarization.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Since the magnetic strips do what they are supposed to do and are about as strong as they are designed, we should conclude there is something about the door components that provide more opening force than the magnets provide closing force (this may be obvious, I'm going through it in my mind while writing). the solution is to find the source of that force. I loooked at my shower door and find two seals, one on the hinge and the other on door bottom. Look carefully to see if either are torn, deformed or binding. My seals add closing resistance but they do not cause the door to spring back. without the magnet, my door will stay in any position it is left at and won't move till a force is applied. Yours should be the same. Move the door carefully in all positions and try to find where binding spring force is generated. good luck.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
RoamingPo8t

1962 19' Globetrotter
VIENNA , VA
Hi Mr. hhendrix,

I found you listed as an AS inspector in Oregon. I am bidding on a 1962 Globetrotter in Canby and currently the highest bidder. If I win the bid, would you be able to do an inspection with me on Facetime/Zoom? I am on the east coast and can't make it over there in a short period of time. I would be greatly appreciate your help and pay for your valuable time. Please let me know. Thanks so much! -Sonnet
roamingpo8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have the same issue.

we now use a plastic spring clamp on the top to keep it closed when in the shower
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingpo8t View Post
Hi Mr. hhendrix,

I found you listed as an AS inspector in Oregon. I am bidding on a 1962 Globetrotter in Canby and currently the highest bidder. If I win the bid, would you be able to do an inspection with me on Facetime/Zoom? I am on the east coast and can't make it over there in a short period of time. I would be greatly appreciate your help and pay for your valuable time. Please let me know. Thanks so much! -Sonnet

I sent you a PM with contact info. Let me know if you received it.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Since the magnetic strips do what they are supposed to do and are about as strong as they are designed, we should conclude there is something about the door components that provide more opening force than the magnets provide closing force (this may be obvious, I'm going through it in my mind while writing). the solution is to find the source of that force. I loooked at my shower door and find two seals, one on the hinge and the other on door bottom. Look carefully to see if either are torn, deformed or binding. My seals add closing resistance but they do not cause the door to spring back. without the magnet, my door will stay in any position it is left at and won't move till a force is applied. Yours should be the same. Move the door carefully in all positions and try to find where binding spring force is generated. good luck.
I agree with you and have looked at it several time with every thing short of an electron microscope. Haven't give up yet, but I'm hearing I'm not the only one with this issue.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
RoamingPo8t

1962 19' Globetrotter
VIENNA , VA
Yes, I got your PM and your friend is doing the inspection this afternoon. Wish me luck that sale on eBay is legit and I will be a proud new owner of the 1962 Globetrotter! Thank you so much for your help!
roamingpo8t is offline   Reply With Quote