Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Screen door stuck in closed position

Our screen door often sticks in the closed position, and will pull out of its holding bracket on the main door, making it more difficult to open the main and screen doors together. I've noticed that the bottom edge of the screen door seems to catch on the rough surface of the outside threshold, which puts stress on the screen door when it is latched closed. I'm considering grinding down the bottom door edge to relieve the stress, since I haven't been successful with adjustments to the plastic door hardware. Anyone have this problem? Suggestions welcome!

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I've had to adjust the screen door repeatedly and it is a PITA. Ours scraped the threshold also and I sanded down the wood part and put several coats of outdoor polyurethane on it. I battered the metal strip to lower it. The hinges bend easily and are difficult to adjust properly. The latch doesn't work well and if you make the door a tight fit for the latch, the latch will break. If you adjust the latch so it is loose, the door pops open. The latch is easy (and overpriced) to find for replacement and we've been through 3 of them. The Airstream version is the same as the generic ones on the internet but Airstream sold it slightly cheaper.

My wife and I tried to get it right and figure out if there is some bizarre secret to adjusting the door (there doesn't seem to be). We got it so it closes fairly well and the latch barely works. It usually stays closed.

The only help I offer is that you are not alone and keep working on it 'til you get it to work. I suppose you could cut or remove the OEM hinge and add a piano type hinge to provide a better hinge, but that is more work than we were prepared to do. I think the OEM hinge is too long and is made of soft aluminum and bends or fatigues too easily. I think it readily sags and that's why it hits the threshold after a while. We've got it working, but it is a bad design.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I think I came across this procedure on the Airstream website, but it's been awhile. If the image isn't clear, PM me and I'll send you the PDF. As Gene noted, the bracket between the hinge and the screen door doesn't take much to get out of kilter. I think we sometimes use the screen door as an assist as we come and go. This will easily pull the door down and then it rubs. When out of alignment it can also bind on the latch side. I used this procedure and it took a couple of tries, but I did get it to where it opens and closes easily and doesn't rub on anything but I also know not to misplace the block of wood and mallet!

The hinge design is common for RV doors. On my last SOB those brackets were made of extruded aluminum which held its shape, but they were noticeably thicker and the door frame was made to accommodate them. the hinge design came about to allow the screen and main doors to open and close as one, but also allowed the screen door to operate independent of the main door. On residential jambs, they would have been hung on separate hinges, but the doors never could open as one, especially as they have to open in opposite directions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2489480008.png
Views:	846
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	144190  
Old 10-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks for the instructions. They may help next time the door doesn't fit, along with a mallet, block of wood. big screw driver, much cursing, and drugs.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
I think I came across this procedure on the Airstream website, but it's been awhile. If the image isn't clear, PM me and I'll send you the PDF. As Gene noted, the bracket between the hinge and the screen door doesn't take much to get out of kilter. I think we sometimes use the screen door as an assist as we come and go. This will easily pull the door down and then it rubs. When out of alignment it can also bind on the latch side. I used this procedure and it took a couple of tries, but I did get it to where it opens and closes easily and doesn't rub on anything but I also know not to misplace the block of wood and mallet!

The hinge design is common for RV doors. On my last SOB those brackets were made of extruded aluminum which held its shape, but they were noticeably thicker and the door frame was made to accommodate them. the hinge design came about to allow the screen and main doors to open and close as one, but also allowed the screen door to operate independent of the main door. On residential jambs, they would have been hung on separate hinges, but the doors never could open as one, especially as they have to open in opposite directions.
I also found that on Airstreams web site. I went through the whole procedure this spring and so far it has lasted. It was a trial and error sort of thing, but at least it is forgiving if you over do it one way or the other.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Sometimes you simply need to spray lube the pivots. Ask me how I know!
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote