Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Sumiton , Alabama
Replacement Lock for 1973 Land Yacht

I am new to the airstream community and just purchased a vintage 1973, 31' Land Yacht. It is missing the front door latch "KT Lock 70-77 Airstream" and the price for it is almost $500 for just the assemble.. My question to the community would be does anyone have a work around for this and replacement part etc? My plans are a total remodel so i'm not looking for vintage but it needs to look nice and latch when the door is closed. I did see the post about using a dead bolt but that still does resolve the issue with latching the door close..help please.
mingle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
latch

I bought the bullet and paid for one, figured do it right. There is an adaptable latch people use, but I do not know what it is called, or where to get it. welcome to the forums btw!. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Sumiton , Alabama
Thanks moparjohn I might need to do the same but just seems way over priced.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I had to bite the bullet 8 weeks ago too. I think I got the last one in the country unless Airstream found a vendor to start making them again.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Sunrise , Florida
I just purchased a 73 Land Yacht, and am in the same predicament. Aside from the locks being $500, they're basically unavailable. I'm working on a retrofit with a deadbolt/catch combo this weekend, I'll take pics and let you know how that goes.
Betterinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I made a deadbolt like the one Vintage sells and used that for 8 months until I realized the locks were selling out and then I jumped in and bought one.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
There's a vintage Bargman up on eBay right now:
Vintage Old Bargman Entry Door Handle Lock Travel Trailer Handle RV Airstream | eBay

Doesn't really look like the one on my '72 Ambassador, but probably would look better than a hook-and-eye catch!

I have a deadbolt on my door, and no lock on the handle. Works great!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
FLORIDA , Florida
I replace my door lock with one from amazon 34.00 it fit like it was made for it.
I dont have pix. All it took was a little grinding on door jamb side and where lock fits
Outside of door when you tighten bolts it pulls it in place to jamb
Now the only thing have left is to fill the rest of the opening with aluminum and rivets
To make it look decent. I did it just until. I found one. I could afford. But it looks and works as good as factory.. So im very happy. The opening on out side of door is large enought to put two locks
In. Side. by side Lol
Davidlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Sumiton , Alabama
Davidlee can you give me more information on what locked you order from amazon?
Old 09-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Sumiton , Alabama
Not sure if it will work or not but glad amazon will let you return and i'm a prime member so though i would give it a shot and see.. Sure it will take a bit of metal work on the door.. http://amzn.com/B00VKNRZ7W
Old 09-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Inland RV, and possibly others such as outofdoorsmart.com sell a retrofit/upgrade kit with pre-cut pieces of aluminum to patch the exterior holes, an assortment of olympic rivets, and a modern latch/locking mechanism similar to the one shown above from Amazon. The patch pieces and rivets really add to the price, but it still beats the $500 price for a new KT by a long way.

Or, if you'r feelin' froggy, you can reskin your door and put whatever latch you want in there. Being the kind of guy who says "as long as I'm here..." that is what I did. Not recommended for the faint of heart.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:15 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
FLORIDA , Florida
Hey Mingle 51. There are several of the same lock set. Rv camper travel trailer locking entrance door handle latch paddle entry dead bolt lock kit its crome or stainless by red hound auto 29.96 free shipping 1.1/4.to 1.1/2 door. Its the same one on most late models. It seams to be well built and cheaper. Im very satisfied with the looks on my 73 Sovereingn 31ft. Hope this helps. Wish I could send you pix. Camper world has them also you cam take a look.
Davidlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Racine , Wisconsin
Ive been kicking around the idea of buying this lock to replace my broken KT handle
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1024_.jpg

Thinking i can cut some aluminum to mock the shape of this handle that will cover up the old hole.
Whatcha guys think?
mrrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:35 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidlee View Post
I replace my door lock with one from amazon 34.00 it fit like it was made for it.
I dont have pix. All it took was a little grinding on door jamb side and where lock fits
Outside of door when you tighten bolts it pulls it in place to jamb
Now the only thing have left is to fill the rest of the opening with aluminum and rivets
To make it look decent. I did it just until. I found one. I could afford. But it looks and works as good as factory.. So im very happy. The opening on out side of door is large enought to put two locks
In. Side. by side Lol

Davidlee, do you have any pics of the inside/outside of the door, and the jam? How did this project end up working out.
You guessed it, my KT lock is broken, and there are no current replacements available at VTS or OutOf Doors Mart
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
I have a KT lock on the classifieds
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #16

1973 23' Safari
San Angelo , TX
Help,my 23 foot Airstream door latch is locked. The handle just moves out and doesn't catch the latch. Problem is IT IS LOCKED !! Any suggestions on how to get back in my Airstream and take the latch apart and re-chrome the latch and repair the lock mechanism ??
Paul McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:55 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
getting in to a locked trailer

I am sure there are a few threads out there on this topic but, in my previous '73 sovereign, a small-ish child could enter the curb side hatch, and push up on the mattress, and maybe open the door from the inside, or maybe a window.
So the key would be a kid small enough to get in, but strong enough to lift the bed, and old enough to have some problem solving skills.

Along with this blurb, a disclaimer for safety...A lot could go wrong..be safe

I bet there is someone out there with a better plan, though!!
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #18

1973 23' Safari
San Angelo , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxter View Post
I am sure there are a few threads out there on this topic but, in my previous '73 sovereign, a small-ish child could enter the curb side hatch, and push up on the mattress, and maybe open the door from the inside, or maybe a window.
So the key would be a kid small enough to get in, but strong enough to lift the bed, and old enough to have some problem solving skills.

Along with this blurb, a disclaimer for safety...A lot could go wrong..be safe

I bet there is someone out there with a better plan, though!!
Well, my Airstream is not built that way. Any other suggestions ??
Paul McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So, when you say it is "locked," do you mean that you simply cannot open the door using the latch, or that even if the latch engaged as it should, the mechanism is still locked?

Well, I pulled out my retired KT lock, and took some strategic pics as you see attached.

If you have been living right, then the flappy handle is merely spinning on the shaft (it looks like it is only held in place with a couple of tiny pins). See the first pic. If this is the situation, you might be able to get hold of that shaft with some funky needle nose locking pliers and give it a twist.

If not, then what has happened is the lever that is welded to the top of that shaft has let loose (see the next pic). If that has happened, then You are probably not going to be able to get in by actuating the mechanism, unless you are willing to drill straight up through the housing so that you can reach in with a pick or screwdriver and hit that mechanism--and even if you did that, you don't know whether the lever on the shaft failed, or if the pin it presses against failed.

You might be best off just attacking the strike, and trying to use a couple of small screwdrivers, maybe a pic, or a putty knife to back it out of the strike pocket. This may seem an unorthodox suggestion, but you might CAREFULLY use a couple of floor jacks to twist and flex the body to "open up" the space between the door and the jamb. These crappy locks fly open on the road all the time.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KT latch - 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	372007   Click image for larger version

Name:	KT lever - 1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	372008  

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
My lock did this about four months ago. My granddaughter was able to go through one of the side compartments after I pushed the bed up. She removed the screws from the screen frame and removed the set screws in the chrome handles so she could open the window and I could get access inside. I explained each step and she was terrific. I removed my three small screws, handle and lock pin inside then took a putty knife and pried the outside back end of the lock and got a small pair of needle nose vise grips on the lock shaft and pulled it back and my door opened. Be careful while prying.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote