Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

1975 Argosy 28
Poulsbo , Washington
Quickest fix for KT lock 1975 Argosy

Hey all, first time poster and this is my first project on my first Airstream. New as they come!

Anyway, bought a partially redone 1975 Argosy 28 last summer. Planning on taking it out for our first trip with it in just a couple weeks but as we were in there this weekend cleaning it out, the KT lock broke.

We can insert the key, but then it just spins around, either way, never actually locking anything. Looking for a faster fix rather than the prettiest or most period accurate.

I've poked around the forums and it looks like my options are replacing the KT lock (can't find these in stock anywhere and even if I could $$$), fixing it, or replacing it with something newer and patching the hole. Someone in another thread mentioned kits that come with a lock and pre cut patch and rivets but didn't have a link and my searches so far haven't turned up much.

Would love some guidance on either repairing the KT lock or putting in a newer one. We are taking our two toddlers camping with us so I definitely need to get the door taken care of before we go! Thanks so much.
HDiccicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Is the door locked now? The pin on the back of the lock cylinder probably sheared off.
New cylinders are hard to find. IMHO the new cylinders are junk and do not last long.
I would seriously consider removing the cylinder. Then install a Dometic/ Milenco lock assembly.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #3

1975 Argosy 28
Poulsbo , Washington
It is currently unlocked now. Would installing the Dometic / Milenco lock assembly require me to patch a hole on the door? Or am I just replacing the guts inside the KT lock?
Old 05-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You should look the Dometic lock up.
It does not have anything to do with your current L77 lock.
You can still use the L77 lock assembly for routine entrance and exit. If the key/cylinder is faulty there may come a time when you are locked out or you can't lock the door.
To prevent this you can disable the "lock" function and still use the assembly to hold the door shut.
There is no need to remove the L77 lock and have a hole to patch. You would have to remove the assembly to modify it. Then reinstall it.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #5

1975 Argosy 28
Poulsbo , Washington
Is this the right dometic/milenco lock?

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-DM-47.../dp/B019YFIXXC
Old 06-04-2020, 05:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes.
If you have light switches on the left side (facing out) of the door be careful when drilling the holes.
In my coach the wires go up from the switch locations.
If you stay below the switch locations you should be OK.
Note: you can mount this lock ass'y in the vertical or horizontal position.
Let us know what you think of it.
It sure looks a lot better than a barn door hasp or a block of wood jammed behind the grab handle. IMHO