Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Parts for an Argosy?

Hi, looking at buying an Argosy but the door lock is broken.... are there any good sources for replacement parts? Or are Argosys not supported?

Thanks
ibskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

My lock broke in my Argosy

Andy at Inland RV may be able to help you. A while back, he had repair kits for the locks. I don't think the locks are made anymore. Andy is a forum member, and he used to work for Airstream. Google Inland RV for contact info.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Thanks
Old 10-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibskot View Post
Hi, looking at buying an Argosy but the door lock is broken.... are there any good sources for replacement parts? Or are Argosys not supported?

Thanks
Call Steve at Vintage Trailer Supply. Although the KT lock hasn't been made for quite some time, he does have a bunch of parts for them.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
When you say it's broken. Do you mean you can't open the door with the outside handle?
If so, the chances are, it is just a sheared roll pin and can be repaired by removing the assembly from the door. Then replace the roll pin.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Not sure exactly. I am going Thursday to see it and hopefully bring it home. I keep looking and every deal stops. I was going to go Friday but as I get in my truck at 0530, I have no head lights, brake lights, trailer brake box not lighting up, power windows don't work and dash lights too. Anyway I had to delay it.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Parts for an Argosy?

Greetings ibskot!

Sorry to hear about your run with Murphy's Law! Persistence usually pays off in such circumstances. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibskot View Post
Not sure exactly. I am going Thursday to see it and hopefully bring it home. I keep looking and every deal stops. I was going to go Friday but as I get in my truck at 0530, I have no head lights, brake lights, trailer brake box not lighting up, power windows don't work and dash lights too. Anyway I had to delay it.
So far as Vintage Travel Trailers are concerned, the Airstream and Argosy probably have the best "support" for reproduction and replacement parts. Argosys used parts common to Airstreams for most assemblies so parts availability is little different than that for an Airstream of similar vintage. One of the exceptions to that rule are the front deep-wrap-panoramic windows. Those clear, deep-wrap wring windows are unique to Argosy, but the tinted Airstream deep-wrap wing windows are a direct replacement but include tinting that wasn't available on Argosy. The Minuets have (Most 6.0 Metre and some 6.7 Metre Minuets) composite aluminum floor panels that are also unique to the Argosy line. A broken or inoperable door lock on an Argosy shouldn't be a deterrent to purchase unless the door has been mangled trying to gain access to the coach . . . even then it is possible to replace the door skins and rebuild the door frame in most cases. As has been mentioned in earlier posts, door lock parts are available from several vintage friendly dealers as well as replacement door lock kits (the kits may require some door modification).

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote