Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Orphaned Tradewind door

I got involved with replacing the screen in the door of a 1951 Tradewind. It looks like it may have had some creative/innovative mods though. What looks particularly strange to me is the method used to secure the 'center' solid panel that covers the screened area in the door when the trailer is closed up.

This door as currently configured has two slots in the screen to allow two blades attached to the inner panel to go through the screen and be secured with an upper and lower transom catch on the leading frame when the panel is closed. Can this be original?? The original lockset is missing but I wonder if that was the original method?

Can anyone tell me how the original system was set up?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
These might work: https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-399.htm

I will try and take a picture of the screen door on my 1954 Liner this weekend.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
I got involved with replacing the screen in the door of a 1951 Tradewind. It looks like it may have had some creative/innovative mods though. What looks particularly strange to me is the method used to secure the 'center' solid panel that covers the screened area in the door when the trailer is closed up.

This door as currently configured has two slots in the screen to allow two blades attached to the inner panel to go through the screen and be secured with an upper and lower transom catch on the leading frame when the panel is closed. Can this be original?? The original lockset is missing but I wonder if that was the original method?

Can anyone tell me how the original system was set up?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Did you mean 1961 Tradewind? AS started making Tradewinds in the latter 50s. Regardless, the door within a door had two tabs on the door within a door that fit through the screen edge and outer door. That is original. It was held closed by two sliding bar latches. What Wkerfoot indicated will work. I think they still make some latches that look original. They weren’t solely used in Airstreams, but screen doors in houses and other doors that required latches. This method of keeping the inner door secured while traveling makes me nervous. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Thanks for the info. While I was replacing the screen in the door, the trailer melted in the Woolsey fire! Now I have an outer door that doesn't fit anything I have.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote