Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
one key technology

I ran across this today and thought why hasn't someone thought of this before. One key technology that works with your truck key for, receiver lock, padlock, toolbox lock and more. Here is the link

One-Key Lock Technology - Learns YOUR key the first time you use them — BOLT Locks by Strattec
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If it doesn't introduce some unexpected security problem (easily picked, e.g.) that sounds quite nice. I have too many keys.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If it doesn't introduce some unexpected security problem (easily picked, e.g.) that sounds quite nice. I have too many keys.

Here is what they have to say:

Simply insert the truck’s ignition key into the BOLT lock, turn it once and the lock mechanically learns the key code.
But convenience isn’t their only benefit. BOLT locks are made by STRATTEC, the world’s largest manufacturer of automotive locks and keys, and the main OE lock supplier for Ford, GM and Chrysler. Since BOLT locks use automotive technology and materials, they have the highest corrosion resistance rating on the market, and are nearly impossible to pick.
Whether you are a truck pro or a weekend warrior, you can’t beat the convenience of BOLT locks. Why carry all those extra keys?

All BOLT locks feature:
  • 6 Plate Tumbler Sidebar prevents picking, bumping
  • Automotive grade, weather-resistant shutter
  • Larger cylinder makes it more secure
Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
They've come up here before. The products are expensive and only work with a limited range of truck keys.

Unfortunately, most Airstreams require five keys -- baggage, water door, battery door, entry latch, entry bolt. There's no effective way to solve this. I was able to adapt a battery door lock to fit the water door, dropping the count by one, but that's it. So any padlock or receiver keys are the least of the problem.

I use padlocks that are keyed to match my house, and since I need to bring a house key anyway, it works for me.