Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Odd Event - Main Door Won't' Close & Latch

INTRO - The cause & solution to a door problem I am having is likely addressed previously and elsewhere in these Post/Threads on Doors & Locks of which I scanned quite a few of - then elected to post this as possibly someone who has experienced a similar issue can point me in the right direction sooner vs. later.

ISSUE - Main door will not close and latch

BACKGROUND - We have a 2018 Classic M30. The trailer in and has been inside of a leased 14'x42" enclosed self-storage unit/building. Prior to today, We've had no issue with the main door opening/closing, locking or unlocking (including both from the exterior and/or interior). We commonly soft close our door and seldom slam it. Have never been locked our nor had any issue with locking it using the keys (both main latch and deadbolt).

SCENE SET - Due to the current extreme weather forecast extending to our area in SW-Louisiana, I went to our storage facility this morning to partially winterize the trailer. We don't normally winterize owing to our locality (home base) which seldom sees sub-freezing temperatures (of which are currently forecast beginning tonight through the middle of next week).

ACTIONS TAKEN.- To begin with, we had 66% fresh water onboard, 0-gray and 0-black water onboard, tires are chocked and stabilizers are down. I drained all the fresh water including the hot water tank (which was already drained), ran water pump until is commenced sucking air, blew forced air into kitchen, bath and shower drains), then left all faucets and low point drains in open position.

DOOR PROBLEM - Having completed this, I turned everything off (lights), stepped out of the trailer and attempted to shut the main door (with screen door attached and in locked position). NO GO. Tried a number of times by soft closing the door and gently pushing it closed to latch (normal process) only it wouldn't. Stepped back and surveyed the door, door jam surround and threshold and all looks normal (the surround around the door is uniform, no sagging, etc.). Nothing blocking the door.

With the door open, I used the keys and locked/unlocked both main door latch and deadbolt, they appear to be working. Also, used my fingers to check the upper and lower "claws" of the main door latch and they move (but I did not attempt to manually close them with the door open as of yet). I also have not tried to 'SLAM" the door which is designed to accept such.

PUZZLED - I have since left (due to another appointment) and will return tomorrow to troubleshoot it some more. Has me puzzled though. and I'm wondering if possibly my having dumped the water (less weight) and still having the stabilizers down could have caused this issue with the door latch. As I stated, a visual inspection tells me the door is not out of alignment.

SEEKING CLUES??? Anyone have clues to what may be causing this and how best to troubleshoot it.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
So your locks work without the door closed but when you try and close the door it does not catch? Looks like you checked to ensure the mechanisms all work — if everything is lubed up and moving without the door closed and door appears to be aligned, looks like you may need to adjust your striker bolt.

Just my guess. I know others will have more to add to this at some point. Let us know what you find out!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Try raising the stabilizers and see how that works.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
PROBLEM SOLVED

Ahh, but the wonders' of YOU TUBE.

Fixed problem and yes, it appeared to be a mix of things.

Returned back to my storage unit and first thing I realized was my stabilizer jacks were not down (bad me). Lubricated both lock(s) hdwe and key cylinders with some dry moly/graphite and worked them a few times. Manually worked the upper & lower "claws" of the main latch with fingers, all worked fine, ran the stabilizer jacks down and "viola" problem solved.

I assume is was a mix of the trailer being far cooler @ 38° ambient (46° inside room temp) now vs. when I put it inside the building last month ~75° and the reduction of weight (dumping water) that let it flex somewhat with the main door open. I also took this as a opportunity to remove the small beltline mouldings on the exterior door hinges to check, then tighten the phillips head door hinge screws (2 of which were not as tight as the others).

All good now.

Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
There you GO! I do like YouTube - Airstream does have a channel
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
INTRO - The cause & solution to a door problem I am having is likely addressed previously and elsewhere in these Post/Threads on Doors & Locks of which I scanned quite a few of - then elected to post this as possibly someone who has experienced a similar issue can point me in the right direction sooner vs. later.

ISSUE - Main door will not close and latch

BACKGROUND - We have a 2018 Classic M30. The trailer in and has been inside of a leased 14'x42" enclosed self-storage unit/building. Prior to today, We've had no issue with the main door opening/closing, locking or unlocking (including both from the exterior and/or interior). We commonly soft close our door and seldom slam it. Have never been locked our nor had any issue with locking it using the keys (both main latch and deadbolt).

SCENE SET - Due to the current extreme weather forecast extending to our area in SW-Louisiana, I went to our storage facility this morning to partially winterize the trailer. We don't normally winterize owing to our locality (home base) which seldom sees sub-freezing temperatures (of which are currently forecast beginning tonight through the middle of next week).

ACTIONS TAKEN.- To begin with, we had 66% fresh water onboard, 0-gray and 0-black water onboard, tires are chocked and stabilizers are down. I drained all the fresh water including the hot water tank (which was already drained), ran water pump until is commenced sucking air, blew forced air into kitchen, bath and shower drains), then left all faucets and low point drains in open position.

DOOR PROBLEM - Having completed this, I turned everything off (lights), stepped out of the trailer and attempted to shut the main door (with screen door attached and in locked position). NO GO. Tried a number of times by soft closing the door and gently pushing it closed to latch (normal process) only it wouldn't. Stepped back and surveyed the door, door jam surround and threshold and all looks normal (the surround around the door is uniform, no sagging, etc.). Nothing blocking the door.

With the door open, I used the keys and locked/unlocked both main door latch and deadbolt, they appear to be working. Also, used my fingers to check the upper and lower "claws" of the main door latch and they move (but I did not attempt to manually close them with the door open as of yet). I also have not tried to 'SLAM" the door which is designed to accept such.

PUZZLED - I have since left (due to another appointment) and will return tomorrow to troubleshoot it some more. Has me puzzled though. and I'm wondering if possibly my having dumped the water (less weight) and still having the stabilizers down could have caused this issue with the door latch. As I stated, a visual inspection tells me the door is not out of alignment.

SEEKING CLUES??? Anyone have clues to what may be causing this and how best to troubleshoot it.
Have you retracted your stabilizer jacks and then tried closing the door? Sometimes the landing gear flexes the trailer chassis, which tweaks the door frame from alignment causing your issue.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella Limited
Dallas , TX
Door wont close

I encountered this problem earlier this week in north Texas. The door would not close and stay put.

While you may have tried this already, I found the problem was that the door lock had been locked and the latch would not move as a result.

Unlocking the door solved the problem. Closed the door and then locked it.
capbli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
On occasion, while on the road, I've been unable to open the door. I've learned to just move the AS somewhere else; backward or forward or wherever and like magic, the door operates normally again.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:05 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Door Alignment

"Returned back to my storage unit and first thing I realized was my stabilizer jacks were not down (bad me)."

Rewilla

Glad you got your door closed but I think you may still have a problem. There is no need to put your stabilizer jacks down when you are not using your trailer, their purpose is only to help keep your trailer from rocking around when you are inside.

Most people have problems with door closure when their jacks have been put down too much or with uneven pressure causing the trailers frame to flex slightly. Releasing pressure on the jacks will allow the door to close normally.

If your door only closes properly with the jacks down (if I understand you correctly) it is out of alignment.

This video shows how you can realign your door.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote