Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Brooklyn , New York
My Door Hinges are FUBAR (1978 Sovereign )

Just purchased this 1978 Airstream, and the door is pretty messed up, looks like someone tried to break into it. I'm wondering what the most effective, least amount of work to fix. The holes are really stripped on both the hinges ( the top is the worst ). I was considering drilling all the way through both skins and simply bolting the hinge to the inside with a washer ( and the nut ) showing. I'm really less concerned about aesthetics and just want to get the hinges back on.

estock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Your door

Just ran across your post. Were you able to repair your hinges? Curious how it went, remounting the hinges to the body.

My 74 seems to have some issues with door gap spacing, and am looking for hinge adjustment guidance.

I saw this product at the Vintage Trailer supply site. It might be good for filling in the frame gouge on your trailer.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/category-s/427.htm
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Brooklyn , New York
Door Hinges

Yes I was, kinda the issue was the other end of the bolt was moving so it was impossible to tighten the bolts. I ended up cutting two small rectangular wholes on the inside directly to the right of the door frame ( I later covered them with a sticker ). It allowed me to get a socket inside the door and torque the bolts tight enough to get the door back in the right position ... it's not perfect, the door binds a tiny bit, but it much better then before, and now that the wholes are cut I can re ajust if I need to
Old 02-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Selma , Alabama
I have a 73 sovereign. The door gaps open on top. Almost like it needs to be reshaped. Any advise on this?
MJPardue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPardue View Post
I have a 73 sovereign. The door gaps open on top. Almost like it needs to be reshaped. Any advise on this?
Do you mean the door wont close at the top? I's possible that the door is misaligned top to bottom, the hinges are fastened to the frame, but depending on how much abuse it has gotten it may just need to be tightened or moved. If you look at the hinges. do they look like they may have moved over time? can you see a different outline on the frame? if so you could try the method described above, then adjust the door and re-tighten
Old 02-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There are a few threads on these forums that guide reshaping of the door, as well as a YouTube video. Your door probably flew open while underway at some point in its life, and has become "sprung."

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
This is something that should have been done differently at the factory. There should be two nut welded to a plate on the back side instead of loose nuts with nothing to hold them. Two round holes on each hinge gave me access to mine.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign