Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

I have the same problem with a 1996 34', (two of the four screws spins)

Maybe Airstream should contact to auto manufactures and see how they have been able to design a door that gets slammed many times a day, sometimes for over 50+ years and never needs an adjustment or repair.

At least now I know the solution.

Just Saying.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
We have a 2019 FC 27 and the lower hinge bolts will not tighten...If this model, and I am assuming it does, has a backing plate with nut how can I quickly repair the on the road.....our first leg of a 4K, two month trip? There is no way of getting it to an AS dealer as the current backlog for Maintenance is months out. I think the bolts are stripped.

Any quick help would be most appreciated. I have access to tools where I am currently camping for a week.Thanks in advance to anyone that responds.
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB "Blanch"
Two Dogs in Tow
lsawye01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:23 AM   #43
lmk
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Sorry, no quick fix. As with prior posts, I had to cut hole and repair from inside. Mine had star nut. It was stripped. This is for 2018 30RB FC.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:11 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Washington
hes right,, we paid 100k for these units and you get 4th grade engineering and 3rd world manufacturing skill on the door assy
Niblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:15 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Washington
I like the answer,,,oh! you paid 100k plus for a late model AS and now your hinge bolts are loose?

answer: cut a 1" in your trailer and see what you can do!
I too was on the road when this happened,,,had to go buy a dremel tool and a vice grip to get it even close.

someone's else had already chopped the holes in it..so somewhere along the line someone else had the same issue and this was a 2019 FC!
Old 07-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #46

2012 19' Flying Cloud
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawye01 View Post
We have a 2019 FC 27 and the lower hinge bolts will not tighten...If this model, and I am assuming it does, has a backing plate with nut how can I quickly repair the on the road.....our first leg of a 4K, two month trip? There is no way of getting it to an AS dealer as the current backlog for Maintenance is months out. I think the bolts are stripped.

Any quick help would be most appreciated. I have access to tools where I am currently camping for a week.Thanks in advance to anyone that responds.
I add to all the responses. I have a 2012 flying cloud. Called airstream and the official fix is to cut holes. I went in to do it and it was already done. It still had the star washer steel nut. They go loose and then the bolt just spins inside.

I added bigger fender washers, some tef gel corrosion inhibitor and used a lock washer and nyloc nut. All stainless hardware. Hasn’t come loose yet.

Kinda crazy after all these years they still haven’t corrected the issue properly.
jurbani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
We have a 2018 30FB and it just happened to us. The door screws loosened and I thought Airstream now used a plate so I removed a screw to put loctite on it and the nut fell away. It is just astounding to me that Airstream knows about the problem, has a solution to it, but quit using the solution and intentionally went back to the way they know doesn’t work and causes huge problems for people. A sadist is apparently in charge of the door mounting department at Airstream.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Smile Thanks to All

Quote:

Thanks for the advice in this thread. We have managed to get an appointment next week at A & P in Paradise Texas for the fix...then it is off to Utah.
To everyone safe travels.
Two Dogs in Tow
Old 07-05-2021, 01:42 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Washington
When I called A/S they said "its not a common problem"
then they sent me a new hinge,,,,how does that fix the problem?
Old 07-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Not really sure the correct name for this type of nut, but Ford uses this type of nut on everything from shocks, to brake-lines etc..

Working on my Excursion, Ford uses them in different locations that can be tough to get a wrench on the backside. Since it will spin only a half-turn before bumping against the frame, it will lock down, not come off, etc..

My guess, you could create your own with a small welder in a few minutes.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...CABEgInD_D_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flanged nut.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	398801  
Old 07-05-2021, 11:09 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Washington
Great idea, but you shouldnt have to monkey around with a welder and nut on a 75 to 100K rig....
Old 07-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Not really sure the correct name for this type of nut, but Ford uses this type of nut on everything from shocks, to brake-lines etc..

Working on my Excursion, Ford uses them in different locations that can be tough to get a wrench on the backside. Since it will spin only a half-turn before bumping against the frame, it will lock down, not come off, etc..

My guess, you could create your own with a small welder in a few minutes.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...CABEgInD_D_BwE
Nope..drill a hole
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:35 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
I haven’t started my repair yet. I plan to use SS nyloc nuts and threadlocker on the bolt threads.
Yes stainless nylon lock nuts…I used new stainless bolts with Allen wrench tapered heads…better than the Phillips head..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #54
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
We have a 2018 30FB and it just happened to us. The door screws loosened and I thought Airstream now used a plate so I removed a screw to put loctite on it and the nut fell away. It is just astounding to me that Airstream knows about the problem, has a solution to it, but quit using the solution and intentionally went back to the way they know doesn’t work and causes huge problems for people. A sadist is apparently in charge of the door mounting department at Airstream.

Bah ha[emoji23]. Sadist! I love that reply. It’s funny because it’s true.

Again, let’s hope none of them get jobs at Boeing.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:28 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Smile Door Hinge Update

Quote:
Thanks for the advice in this thread. We have managed to get an appointment next week at A & P in Paradise Texas for the fix...then it is off to Utah.
To everyone safe travels.
If you have never heard of A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise Texas look them up. I was In and out of there in two hours for the repair work at a very low price...Ann and Paul are the nicest, most professional small business owners I have met in a very long time. They have been in the business since 2009 and are booming. They specialize in vintage AS renovations but take on repairs as well. If you are ever in the area and in need of a repair or want to get an oldie rehabbed it is the place.......headed to Utah
Two Dogs in Tow
Old 07-09-2021, 11:43 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Spoke with the folks at Airstream this morning and sent them the information in regards to what I call a "Finger Nut" and how they are used on autos where often heavy duty impacts are used to really crank down on the nuts (like shock mounts) to make sure they don't come loose, but can be loosened when needed and torqued. Mr. Puckett was sent pictures, links etc.. and plans to show this to the engineers as a possible fix or possible way to build and help with door hinges coming loose. He sounded like a car guy, and knew exactly what I was talking about and why it would be a good fix.

Time will tell,
Old 07-10-2021, 12:12 AM   #57

2012 19' Flying Cloud
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Flag nut is what you’re describing.
jurbani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:22 AM   #58
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
If you have never heard of A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise Texas look them up. I was In and out of there in two hours for the repair work at a very low price...Ann and Paul are the nicest, most professional small business owners I have met in a very long time. They have been in the business since 2009 and are booming. They specialize in vintage AS renovations but take on repairs as well. If you are ever in the area and in need of a repair or want to get an oldie rehabbed it is the place.......headed to Utah
Yes, indeed. A&P is *the* place for quality work. My brother and I have had them work on our trailers several times... always 100% satisfied. Great people. Great work. Reasonable cost.

Robert

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
This is the part that failed on our upper hinge. The bracket drops between the wall onto the floor. I removed the items that were around the door and peeled back the aluminum on the floor a couple inches, took a flashlight, saw something shiny, managed to grab it with a needle nose.

The nut missing must have been attached to the lower screw. I pulled it out snug and then slowly turned the 'bolt' and snugged it up tight. Then inserted the other screw, tapped it to keep it in the hole centered for... stability? It worked but when it comes loose... you will know. The strip that covers the two philip screws is secured by a sticky two sided tape. Pull it off and you see the two screws. Maybe.. snug them up if you feel 'frisky'. If they fall out... it is not an easy job.

What was strange, after aligning the door, one screw came out without a nut. The other I was able to tighten and held the hinge so we could use the door. Needed a large philips screwdriver and a pliers to get it snug.

I scanned this bracket for illustration. Was surprised the nut and screws were that small... that held this door onto the trailer.

Airstream Dealer drilled the hole and etc... double nutted (they said) and the door is still 'hanging in there'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	400009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	400010  

Old 07-26-2021, 01:12 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
100% Agree Paul and Ann are amazing, they got us in after we broke our water heater. Installed a Truma and was so helpful. They are amazing
Streamerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote