Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Red face main door hinge

Hi to all:
I am 1 month into the full restoration of a '66 overlander. Things are going slowly but surely in the right direction. I have just about got the ol' girl weathertight. New window seals, vent/dome seals and all holes & seams sealed. I have just removed the main door to try to reweld a cracked frame and reshape to get a good fit. Someone had tried to obviously break into it by crowbarring the bottom of door.
Question 1: The door has sagged a bit horizontally as well so it does'nt fit true in the opening. I thought it might be the hinge pin but it is harded steel and does'nt look worn to me. It would appear that the aluminum hinge on trailer and door have some wear which is letting the door sag a bit. Before I put new weatherstripping on door and re-install, I would like to know from those who have gone before me, what is the best way to tackle this problem.

Question 2: The astrodome on this trailer was missing one of the cylindrical aluminum openers - does anyone have a spare I could buy?

Thanks a bunch for any advise - James
technautica is offline   Reply With Quote