Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Owls Head , Maine
Locked out!

I have a 71 globetrotter and my door latch won't unlock. It's been touchy but now nothing? What is my next step? It is the KT200.
terricrowe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Locksmith?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:18 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
When you say "won't unlock" do you mean you're using the key lock on the KT, or do you mean when you pull the KT's handle it doesn't unlatch the door?

If it's the latter, does it fail from both the inside and outside handles, or just one of those?

The bits and pieces of the KT lock are available as reproductions from Vintage Trailer Supply and probably from Inland RV. Out Of Doors Mart has some of the parts, and of course all 3 sell the full lockset at an eye-watering price. At one point the inside handle of the KT on my Argosy became unreliable and I bought a part or two and rebuilt it, it worked better for the following years than it ever had before.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI search results for "KT200" via the blue search box above:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kt20...=airforums.com

This new search function works great, compared to the old ones in the Search drop down menu, which got bad reputations over the years.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Owls Head , Maine
My husband said that at first the key did turn and sounded like it unlocked, but it would not open when he pulled the handle. Then trying the key again, it doesn't move at all. I can't speak for the inside handle because I can't get in.
Terri
terricrowe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the key turns to the unlocked position and has no effect on opening the door the problem is inside the lock set itself and there is not much that can be done from the outside. Even if you can get inside, through a window, there is a chance you will not be able to open the door if the lock set has broken parts inside.

If you are able to get in and still cant open the door you can remove the door by cutting small access holes over each of the 4 bolt locations and removing the door that way. Once removed you will be able to remove the lock set and open it for inspection. A lot cheaper method than drilling and killing the lock set from the outside.

The holes you cut can be covered with 2 x 4 plain electrical box covers, painted to match the interior wall if white or tan covers look out of place. I have had to take that approach for both dead bolt and handle lock failures.

Sorry no pictures but i have reached my Forum limit. If you PM me I will send some.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
sent yu a pm.

Also, after being locked out several times I never lock the KT. I use a locking hasp (not a hasp you put a padlock on), Stanley makes a nice looking one, Also there are several replacement kits available that cost a lot less than the KT. You do have to do a little modification. Inland RV has them, maybe others.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
While on the surface it seems like a more-intrusive modification than a locking hasp, a deadbolt lets you lock the door from the inside as well as the outside. It also offers a more-secure option for holding the door closed in transit (as would a locking hasp as described above, but the locking hasp can only be locked from the outside, I think. Some people modify regular residential ones, some buy "factory-modified" ones like this one:

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...p/vts-343c.htm

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
While on the surface it seems like a more-intrusive modification than a locking hasp, a deadbolt lets you lock the door from the inside as well as the outside. It also offers a more-secure option for holding the door closed in transit (as would a locking hasp as described above, but the locking hasp can only be locked from the outside, I think. Some people modify regular residential ones, some buy "factory-modified" ones like this one:
]
The 71 has a cast aluminum doorframe. I was thinking about a deadbolt lock but was told you can crack the frame which is a major repair. I decided against it.

Yes a locking hasp can only be locked from the outside, kind of. You can put a sliding barrel bolt on the inside. One thing I learned the hard way was to turn the locking mechanism into the locked position with the hasp open so you don't get locked in.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
before cuttin or any of that insert the little red straw from a can of PBBlaster or WD40 ( or similar) into the keyhole and give it a good spritz. Then try the key again slowly.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote