Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #1

1978 Argosy 30
Thornton , Colorado
KT Lock Repair Issue

Hi, this is my 1st post, although I've been a member for a long time; so hopefully I'm doing this right! I have the same issue with my KT Lock as described by Jpmike23, and I see that cole3444 sent him a PM about a possible way to deal with it.
I have a 30' 1978 Argosy, and I'm locked out. I've had good success in the past with a local locksmith on other Airstreams, but my Argosy is in an outdoor storage facility and I'm concerned about vandalism if the locksmith can't fix it on the first try and it is left unlocked.
Out of Doors Mart seems to have a replacement cylinder, as well as some DIY tips on installation, but I don't know if that is the issue and in any case, I don't know how to get the existing cylinder out. Would appreciate any help you can offer, thanks!
AirstreamLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
I checked with Out of Doors Mart today and they said they do not have the key/lock cylinder for the KT locks.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Fayetteville , Arkansas
I am facing same issue with 1985 Excella, cannot enter trailer. from what I gather you can if you can get on other side of lock remove it but getting on other side not so easy. Have thought about removing hinges or simple putting a cutting tool between door and trailer an cutting the end off the locking piece. Anyway any thought would be most helpful and glad it did not happen when on the road
David Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
On my 72 31' Sovereign my Granddaughter was able to go thru one of my back side compartment doors and opened the window by the door and removed the screws on the screen so that I could get to the lock when mine would not open. I was lucky she could fit thru.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #5

1978 Argosy 30
Thornton , Colorado
Thank you cole3444, this is really helpful. It gives me an alternative to damaging the door or the existing lock. My strategy will be, I'll check my compartment doors to figure out someone who could fit through them & get that person & a locksmith there at the same time. That way if the lock can't be fixed I can button down stuff on the inside so I can safely tow it over to Timeless Trailers to work on it. Right now, b/c I wasn't expecting to be locked out, I've got a 40 lb aluminum propane tank loose on the floor b/c its twin was stolen off the front of the trailer, I put it inside for safe keeping. Could do a lot of damage rolling around! Thanks again.
AirstreamLee is offline   Reply With Quote