Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1976 24' Argosy 24
Bonita , California
KT lock question

My '72 has a hard to operate door latch. I can work it with a little difficulty, but my wife who has little patience is going to break it.
When the door is open, the bolt can be pushed back a little, and I believe this is the problem.The bolt does not fully retract.
I removed the lock and observed the inside handle operator was bent forward where it hits a split pin on the bolt shaft, I straightened it and replaced the roll pin and believe that it will now work ok from the inside.
The outside seems to work on a pawl that hits a split pin on the bolt shaft and the pawl has a groove in it where it meets the pin
This seems to allow about .125" less travel on the bolt.
Should I fill the groove ( weld it )< difficult > or can I just grind .125 off the end of the bolt <easy>?
Bonitafarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonitafarms View Post
My '72 has a hard to operate door latch. I can work it with a little difficulty, but my wife who has little patience is going to break it.
When the door is open, the bolt can be pushed back a little, and I believe this is the problem.The bolt does not fully retract.
I removed the lock and observed the inside handle operator was bent forward where it hits a split pin on the bolt shaft, I straightened it and replaced the roll pin and believe that it will now work ok from the inside.
The outside seems to work on a pawl that hits a split pin on the bolt shaft and the pawl has a groove in it where it meets the pin
This seems to allow about .125" less travel on the bolt.
Should I fill the groove ( weld it )< difficult > or can I just grind .125 off the end of the bolt <easy>?
Do not shorten the striker bolt, as it will allow the door to fly open far easier than it is now.

Have someone overhaul the KT lock, that knows how and that has the proper parts.

That's far cheaper than replacing a damaged door and a caved in side sheet.

Since your original lock only lasted 38 years or so, a proper rebuild will give you that much time again.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Mine too

Andy, My 1976 has similar problems. Is an Airstream dealer setup for these rebuild and still get parts. Is there any outside companies that do this type work. Any idea the cost of a replacement as opposed to rebuild. Mine generally opens but the lock loosen and drops down and impossible to unlock.
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
Andy, My 1976 has similar problems. Is an Airstream dealer setup for these rebuild and still get parts. Is there any outside companies that do this type work. Any idea the cost of a replacement as opposed to rebuild. Mine generally opens but the lock loosen and drops down and impossible to unlock.
Not all dealers even know what a KT lock is.

Then you have dealers that only sell parts.

Then, you have dealers that sell parts "and" overhaul those parts that can be overhauled.

A new KT lock is way over $500.00.

Repair parts are not cheap, either.

Or, you can modify the door and install a different type of lock, for less money.

Or, you could send your lock into a dealer that you know overhauls them, and ask for an estimate.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Helps on the way.

Bonita Farms and Gat. Can you post pics of your locks. I have had success in repairing the lock on my '74. I'll be glad to help if I can. My lock looks like this.

Out of Doors Mart has parts for this lock. www.odmrv.com
Bonitafarms; Go to parts; locks and keys; Search for part SKU3043 or 380348
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1976 24' Argosy 24
Bonita , California
Mine is the same, found the part at Out of Doors mart with the new part #& ordered it, many thanks !!
Rick
Bonitafarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #7

1976 Argosy 28
New Orleans , Louisiana
is there anything to be done if the bolt doesn't seem to fit into the "Strike Pocket" (Im guessing this is what this part is called)

the lock and door handle on my Argosy seem to be just fine. It almost seems like the bolt isn't long enough.
baileyd126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #8

1976 Argosy 28
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Not all dealers even know what a KT lock is.

Then you have dealers that only sell parts.

Then, you have dealers that sell parts "and" overhaul those parts that can be overhauled.

A new KT lock is way over $500.00.

Repair parts are not cheap, either.

Or, you can modify the door and install a different type of lock, for less money.

Or, you could send your lock into a dealer that you know overhauls them, and ask for an estimate.

Andy
New to the Forum but this is who I'm assuming would know my question!
baileyd126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

This is a rather old thread, and I haven't seen any activity from Andy with Inland RV in quite a while, so I think he might have bought a white box trailer and moved to a beach where he doesn't have to think about Airstreams any more.

I would suggest you start a brand new thread. It isn't clear whether the problem you are having is with your lock, the door, the door jamb, etc. Post a bunch of pictures of what you are talking about, and any history of your trailer that may be relevant, and you will likely get plenty of responses from current users.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
KT lock question

Andy retired, sold Inland RV to one of his former employees. He’s not been around here for a year or so.

Inland RV is still in business and I for one have bought stuff from them since Andy left with no problems. They are located just a couple miles away from my home.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Your problem is almost certainly the way the door fits in the frame.

If the leveling jacks are down and uneven, that can twist the trailer enough to affect door fit.

Another problem might be a very worn door hinge.

I had to repair my hinge by drilling the bosses out and making bushings out of copper tubing.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doors and locks, kt lock, 1972 safari