Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 24' Argosy 24
Grand Rapids , Michigan
KT Lock Experts

I have an issue with my 1973 Argosy door lock. It would open fine form the inside, but the bolt wold not pull far enough out when you pulled on the outside handle.

I took at apart, and determined the issue was the pin that ran through the extrior door handle that has a disc shaped hook on the end. This hook pushes the bolt back to open the door. I noticed it was not traveling far enough back to let the bolt clear the striker in the frame.

I orderd a new pin from Inland, and when it arrived, I took the lock off again to make the change. Here is the issue. The pin from Inland was similar to the pin in my lock, only the pin that was in the lock has two holes in it, that lined up with two holes in the pivot point of the exterior handle. So after looking at at the old pin, it seemed to me that the holes did not really line up, in relationship to the disc on the top, to let the handle fold flat back into the door when it was closed. Its like the holes needed to be moved about an 1/8 of an inch around the pin, so that it would close flat before the disk on the end moved up against the lock frame.

Since the holes did not line up, and the pin from Inland did not have any holes, I am wondering if the PO had modified the pin, and if so, I am not sure how to secure the new pin into the exterior handle.

I put the old pin back in and replaced the old rusted expansion pins that held it in the exterior handle, and the door opens fine, the only problem is the handle will not fold flat in to the door. If you push is flat, im sure it will sheer of the new expansion pins that hold it in, and I will be back to where i was before. It seems to me there should be little screws in here not expansion pins, but there may have been a rust issue, and the threads were lost.

So here are my questions:

1. Is the pin supposed to have two holes in it, if so, then there is a defect in the new one.

2. The pin is not suppsoed to have holes in it, then how do you secure it.

3. The pin should have holes in it, and the old ones are in the right place, and im not smart enough to figure out how to get it to work.

4. None of the above.

Any help would be appreicatated.

Thanks,
WestMichCamp is offline   Reply With Quote