Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2024, 08:49 PM   #1
Reformed Engineer

1967 26' Overlander
1987 32' Excella
2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
_ , _
Keeler lock - detailed photos or diagram?

Hi
I am determined to fix the Keeler Brass lock on my '87 Excella. I am not above a modern replacement, but I will not have an external patch plate and I am not going to re-skin the door. I may have a mounting bezel machined out of plate stock if it comes to that, but I'd rather not.

Problem is 2-fold, not the most common issues, and I think tied more to someone monkeying with it in the past: Something appears to be missing between the cylinder pin and the lock plate (as the cylinder is just spinning in there without actually moving the plate), and the detent spring is mangled up (and I presume there was a ball bearing in there that has disappeared.)

I know parts are NLA. I have scoured the internet looking for detailed photos or diagrams and can find nothing except some low-resolution photos from a post here from 2012. I just need to know what it's SUPPOSED to look like in there.

Also-- I put up a post about this and other subjects in the excella forum the other day, with multiple photos that I carefully uploaded and embedded. A day later, all of my photos disappeared from my post without explanation. Why is this?

Thanks!
David
EngiDent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:39 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
David,

I feel your pain. I had to replace my "KB(?)" lock a while back and it was a big job. I also was unable to find parts; I think that my failure was in the cylinder(?) - I might have the old one in a parts box.

I was able to machine a solid block of aluminum to make a transition from a new standard lock to the old Air Stream door. Sort of looks like something out of a bank vault - but it has worked for a few trips. (Knee replacements and Covid restricted our travels.)

If you can find a used lock from a donor trailer that is your best bet. I have a very well equipped home shop with wood and metalworking capability. I estimate that I have at least 50 hours in the job. My transition block started out weighing 6 pounds - a little over 2 now on the trailer. I wound up making 5 wooden prototypes to save time and money; being retired allows you to get involved in stupid projects.

The real problem is (in my opinion) that airstream used a special lock and did not follow RV standards. I could go on but you get the idea.

I'll help in any way I can, send(pe me a PM if you want pictures or any information - no sense in bothering the rest of the community. OTOH perhaps there is wider interest, who knows.

Bottom line: it is doable but a bit of work.

Good Luck, Whit Nash
rwnash is offline   Reply With Quote