Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Is anyone an expert on Bargman locks?

I have so many questions, if you are knowledgable about any, I would really appreciate the input. Thanks!

I have a 1956 SS Jet with a weird lock problem. PLease Ignore the ugly paint job on it, that's also on my to-(un)do list. the outside handle is broken, like so many of these handles are. I am on the waiting list for a replicate one. I just want the insides to work.

1) Can you identify this lock?
  • Is the L54 & L55 just the handle name?
  • If I replace the handle, do I have to replace the lock too?

2) When I turn it to the right, it unlocks and I can turn the handle and the interior lock is in the up position. Unfortunately, to get the key out I have to turn it CCW (left) and it locks halfway.

3) When I turn it CCW to lock it the interior lock is in the down position and the interior handle does not turn. Also, I can't remove the key and have to turn it CW (right) to the key slot vertical position. This makes it sort of half locked, but I still can open it. But at times the door is just locked, and I have had to crawl through a window- lucky I have a temporary window screwed in.

4) Is it me are the interior locking bits broken?

5) What's up with the interior door handle?
Is it supposed to look that way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doorhandle.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	130003   Click image for larger version

Name:	doorlock.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	130004  

Name:	doorlock2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	130005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-05-04 at 10.22.35 AM.png
Views:	225
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	130006  

|:::::::::/\::::::|>
n8andm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
It appears to be an L54/55 - here is a replacement handle and bezel for it at a very good price:

VintageCampers.com :: Vintage Campers, Vintage Trailers, Vintage Parts, Vintage Restorations

There has to be a parts diagram out there somewhere.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Here is the Bargman lock that JUST SOLD on eBay.co.uk.

Here is the Bargman lock that JUST SOLD on eBay.co.uk. The item only posted on the uk site and it was actually located in Ohio.

Excerpt:
"HERE IT IS THE RARE AND HARD TO FIND H-20-2 TRAILER DOOR HANDLE/LOCK MADE BY THE THEODORE BARGMAN CO. BACK IN THE 1940'S & 1950'S AND THEN DISCONTINUED
THIS MODEL WAS USED BY AIRSTREAM, SPARTAN AND MANY OTHER COACH COMPANYS
THIS HANDLE IS NOT BROKE ( ALTHOUGH IT IS MISSING THE KEYS, AND INTERIOR LATCH STRIKER & HANDLE )
IT DOES HAVE THE LOCK CYLINDER IN PLACE, WITH ALL SQUARE STOCK PIECES PROTRUDING FROM THE BACK ( THAT CONNECT TO INTERIOR LATCH/HANDLE)
THE LITTLE ROUND LOCK COVER IS LIGHTLY BENT ( SEE PICS) I'M SURE IT CAN BE BENT BACK INTO PLACE ( BUT I DID NOT WANT TO DAMAGE IT EVEN MORE, AS I'M NOT A LOCKSMITH)
THIS HANDLE HAS A GOOD SPRING & NICE BEZEL
THIS UNIT HAS WONDERFUL CHROME ON IT WITH ONLY MINNOR PITTING AND A FEW SCRATHES.
THIS IS A VERY NICE UNIT AND WILL BE THE JEWEL OF ANY VINTAGE TRAILER
I ALSO HAVE A BARGMAN L-77 VERTICAL UNIT, & A BRAND NEW IN THE BOX L-400 THAT I WILL ALSO BE LISTING, SO STAY TUNED AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY OTHER VINTAGE AUCTIONS"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.png
Views:	212
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	130073   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	201
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	130074  

Name:	3.png
Views:	209
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	130075   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	228
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	130076  

Name:	5.png
Views:	221
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	130077   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.png
Views:	201
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	130078  

Name:	7.png
Views:	242
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	130079   Click image for larger version

Name:	VINTAGE-BARGMAN-H20-2-TRAVEL-TRAILER-DOOR-HANDLE-H-20-2--eBay.png
Views:	317
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	130080  

Name:	VINTAGE-BARGMAN-H20-2-TRAVEL-TRAILER-DOOR-HANDLE-H-20-2.png
Views:	274
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	130081  
Old 05-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
An interesting post from Steve at Vintage Trailer Supply:

The Skinny on Bargman Locks#7 [URL="http://repairingyesterdaystrailers.yuku.com/forum/getrefs/id/13414/type/0"] [-]

01/27/11 12:06

Hey folks, first of all... I want to apologize for all our out-of-stock problems. I can't say I blame anyone who stopped looking for some of those parts. The drip caps have gone through a long frustrating history and I won't bore you with it. Suffice to say I am trying to keep them in production but it is a long back-and-forth with the manufacturer.

As for Bargman locks... I spoke with the head of Bargman last week. I bumped into her and had a chance to talk to her at length about the Bargman locks. By the way, Bargman is now owned by Cequent which is owned by Trimas. That should tell you the whole story right there.

Here's what we know for sure about Bargman locks: every model has been discontinued and dropped from the Bargman line. Here's the complete list of dead Bargman models (in the order they have been dropped through the decades): H20-2, L-77, L-400, L-66, L-100, L-200, L-300.

There are virtually no parts available for any of them. Bargman does not have the tooling for any of them. The tooling for components and bodies wear out over time and with no new OEM demand for the locks, Cequent does not feel that the investment in repairing or replacing tools is worth it. Most of the lock pieces were made overseas and the tools are now scrapped so not retrievable.

We are working cooperatively with Bargman to reintroduce a few components but it is not going to be fast or easy. Please don't wait for us. Instead, look on eBay and old salvaged trailers. I once bought an entire trailer on eBay for the L-77 lockset. I then emailed the seller asking if he would be interested in just sending me the lock and keeping the trailer to relist. He said "heck yes."

Let me know if you have any questions about this topic.

Good luck with your restorations,
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Here is a picture of mine back from the chromer, you can spend up to $500.00 to get a complete keyed mechanism working..........toastie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	door handle.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	130096  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Gorgeous!

Your lock is sure something to envy!
I never knew why there was a little hole on the key portion of the lock, I now see that it's a cover plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Here is a picture of mine back from the chromer, you can spend up to $500.00 to get a complete keyed mechanism working..........toastie
BTW, Where did you get it fixed? I am really tempted to send the entire lock out to get serviced. Can you make a mold of your handle? There is a kit you can buy at Michaels craft store that's a silicone mold. I would use this to make a plaster relief & then make another mold and hope someone could make the part.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks for that "skinny", good to know.

I'll be searching more of the international Ebay sites now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
An interesting post from Steve at Vintage Trailer Supply:

The Skinny on Bargman Locks#7 [URL="http://repairingyesterdaystrailers.yuku.com/forum/getrefs/id/13414/type/0"] [-]

01/27/11 12:06

Good luck with your restorations,
Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
It's not surprising that you can occasionally find an ENTIRE TRAILER for the same amount as some of us are willing to pay for just the door handle. That's the world of meticulous restorations and sticklers for authenticity. I'm just glad there are a few parts trailers still out there to be had.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
No kidding! Know that I have a better idea of the scarcity, i'm up for the expense, even if that handle is really half the cost of my trailer. If I bought that and the lights I want for it, I'll be at my purchase price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
It's not surprising that you can occasionally find an ENTIRE TRAILER for the same amount as some of us are willing to pay for just the door handle. That's the world of meticulous restorations and sticklers for authenticity. I'm just glad there are a few parts trailers still out there to be had.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
n8andm

Here are the photos that I said I would send you. Sorry it took so long. This is an extra lock that I bought when I was trying to put together a complete one

Brad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3480.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	130277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3479.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	130278  

Name:	IMG_3478.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	130279  

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
How much is your lock?

Brad,

It's tempting to buy, but I wish we cold try it out before hand to compare it with mine. I have to see if it's our lock that is broken, or maybe it's the catch part or maybe the door is crooked?
How much is your lock?

I gave up on the door handle replacement, all the AS's in the books have replaced theirs with regular old knobs. I am thinking of going to Architectural Antiques or the like to get a period appropriate handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
n8andm

Here are the photos that I said I would send you. Sorry it took so long. This is an extra lock that I bought when I was trying to put together a complete one

Brad
Old 05-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Dont give up! I thought it would be impossible to get a complete lock. I now have the parts , from several sources to create one. I think the hunt was worth it.

PM me if you want to consider buying the lock. If I was you I would remove the lock from the door first and look at it. You may very well be able to figure it out, something could be loose

Either way I would love to see your trailer when time allows and would gladly show you mine when and if you have an interest. Ill look at every trailer that I get the chance to. Im surprised how much I have learned and I feel like I just got started.

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Keeping the thread alive... I bought the NOS handle referenced above. It was on the American-flavored eBay, fyi - not sure why it didn't show up in your search, N8.

Took the interior plate off the inside of the door to determine how much of the original setup remains. Exterior handle is gone (with the resulting holes patched) but I'm hoping the "lockset guts" were left alone.

Can't quite tell if it's the same as yours, BradS. If not, I'll certainly be interested in yours if it isn't already spoken for. I can't remove it completely right now to be sure... but I'm feeling semi-confident at the moment since the handle is lining up with the guts. That's shown in a little video clip of the situation:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lock1.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	545.2 KB
ID:	130724   Click image for larger version

Name:	lock4.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	555.7 KB
ID:	130725  

Name:	lock5.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	649.2 KB
ID:	130726  
Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I'm thinking that you are looking at an original H20-2 in there Brad. There are a couple of pics in my thread and Melody Ranch had pics in another thread as well. One thing I see in your video is that the skin around the lock is pop riveted on and it definitely would have been buck riveted originally. Sure looks like that skin has been patched at some point to accomodate the new handle.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
I'm thinking that you are looking at an original H20-2 in there Brad. There are a couple of pics in my thread and Melody Ranch had pics in another thread as well. One thing I see in your video is that the skin around the lock is pop riveted on and it definitely would have been buck riveted originally. Sure looks like that skin has been patched at some point to accomodate the new handle.

-steve
I sure hope so, Steve. Thanks for weighing in.

I agree on the ext: I was already confident no door would've left the factory with anything besides a single sheet of aluminum, and the pop rivets add weight to your conclusion. I believe the interior handle being original as well (mine looks like Toastie's) means they may have just replaced the exterior portion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	innerhandle.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	130730  
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We too found several donor locks on eBay when rebuilding our lock. I think we needed to buy two or three partials plus we had the broken one that came on Birdy - then we sent it all out to be re-chromed. A couple of hundred dollars later, we have two complete locks, plus some extra bits & pieces.

"It's a Girl!!!"

By taking all of them apart and comparing bits & pieces, it was pretty easy to see how they work and what was broken on some wasn't on others. Of the three we have, we have two different inside handles (in pics) but they are interchangable. There also are some that the outside hangle is oriented horizontally and others vertically (like ours), these are interchangeble as well.

They can be found...sometimes you just have to have patience and buy it when you see it, not when you need it.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We too found several donor locks on eBay...
...They can be found...sometimes you just have to have patience and buy it when you see it, not when you need it.
Perfect - thanks Shari. It's reassuring to see additional "door gut" photos that look just like mine, and good to know that they come up now and then for N8 and the rest of us.

Having spares of anything that's been out of production for 50 years is a great insurance policy.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Brad

What you seem to have is the guts for what I call a right hand door in a left hand door. The extra lockset I have is the same as yours.

I moved the door in my Overlander and made it swing the same way as yours seems to. The lock was on the bottom. I talked with Dan at Vintage Campers and he was able to come up with the correct lock set for me. My key will be on the top now.

So long story short, you have the right lockset for the left door.

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
I see what you're saying. In other words, to use this I'll have to position my handle horizontally, as with the lock is on the bottom the handle would be covering it.

Aesthetically I'd probably prefer to have the handle pointing down, but you could argue it's less likely to be broken off being horizontal; I think people would be more likely to twist it down than pull on it.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Man, those assemblies are BEAUTIFUL! see, that is why old trailers appeal to us all. The new stuff just cant compare!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1956, bargman, doorlock