Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How EASY to break into Airstream? TOO EASY

Well I did it last Thursday. I walked out of my Airstream and slammed the door shut after clicking the lock mechanism on.... and realized my purse was inside about a nano-second later.

It was 36 degrees outside and I had left my coat in my locked tow vehicle. Now ordinarily I keep a spare set of keys hidden in a place so gross you'll NEVER search for them, but OF COURSE I'd taken them out, washed and sterilized them to give them to my sister while we were both visiting Florida. And when I left they were temporarily placed in the change purse of my wallet. Of course I was also due to make a presentation in only 45 minutes and was dressed up. Nice thing about that kind of pressure is that you don't feel the cold due to adrenalin.

Well I got a metal coat hanger from a neighboring trailer's owner, and went to the roadside window over the side couch - knowing my purse was sitting on said couch. I got one of the two latches pulled flat releasing the right side of the window, but couldn't get the left latch loose. I of course put a scratch in the clearcoat below the window too, but it's gonna get one swipe of clear nail polish and be forgotten. So, the coat hanger kept slipping off the other latch after it was about 1/2 way down. Looking around desperately I remembered I'd put my awning hook in the back of my pickup, so I grabbed it, and working from the semi-loose right side, was able to whack the other latch to the open position. The screen? Well in new ones it's nylon and one good Whap with my fist and I was in. Of course the purse was 1/2 inch below where my arm could reach until I climbed up on the wheel and made a grab. Guess what? The regular keys weren't IN the purse, but the spares were. Got inside, got the main keys, re-locked the window, made the screen and blinds look semi-normal, washed the first layer of dirt of my hands and left for my meeting arriving with only 7 minutes to spare.

Got the screen put back in today by using the blunt side of a kitchen knife on the spline... and figure when I go to J.C. in the summer I'll decide whether the gasket in the window needs to be replaced. I did muck up a few bits on the bottom edge.

Moral of the story - with very makeshift "tools" I was inside in 15 minutes - and I'm 61, female, out of shape, and have only opened one or two car doors with the old coathanger in my life. I can think of a few rather common household items that would make PERFECT opening tools for the modern locks in my 2006. I won't describe them for obvious reasons, but if I can break in that easily a pro could get in within seconds. So... can I think of ways to make the window LATCHES more secure - sure. Do I think it's a good idea? Not so sure. I might have waited for a locksmith, but any self-respecting thief with a hammer, crowbar or cinderblock will just break out the window.

What I'm suggesting is be REASONABLE about security - Don't make yourself too attractive a target by having attractive, expensive toys in plain view. I've never really understood why anyone would need a 25 inch flat screen in a trayla... but I know many upgrade the audio/video packages to the max. Think: you may just be painting a target on your Airstream.

Well I was laughing at myself by the end of the day - AND the spare keys were reinstalled in a secure and camoflagued spot - and I guess I'll get a second set to secure on the tow vehicle. Hmmm. It's always something.

Paula
Old 02-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Okay that is great news that you were able to get into Your trailer... But now so can the rest of the world! Do you mind removing the "how to" so the others are not so vulnerable

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Nice recovery, Paula. Welcome to springtime back in VA, by the way.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Locks only keep honest people out!
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
Locks only keep honest people out!
I have to agree with noreen on this one. I can break a window and be in in 15 seconds, not 15 minutes.

We owners are the only ones who care about not damaging things.

Glad you got in and everything is now fine, Paula!
Old 02-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
_

. , .
it's not BREAKING IN, if ya don't break something...

turning the flat window latches from the outside is a long time entry trick...

there are ENTIRE THREADS here on clever little bars/tubes place INSIDE on the chromed handles, to prevent this.

really inventive stuff and with pictures!

of course part of the latch can be removed from outside in about 1 minute (look under the little black buttons)...

instead of hiding keys in the poo port...

(a/s used to just throw the keys into the water heater hatch for transport to dealers, no foolin)

why not just SPREAD some of that poo on ALL the window borders, knobs and others entry points...

it's a well known fact crooks don't wanna touch other peoples' poo...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
Okay that is great news that you were able to get into Your trailer... But now so can the rest of the world! Do you mind removing the "how to" so the others are not so vulnerable
I don't think there's anything in that post that a determined crook could have done already, and faster. Crooks want to be in and out fast. They won't hesitate to break a window to grab what they want and be gone. If anything I think her tips might be useful to someone who's locked out and wants to get back in without causing damage (something crooks don't care about). Makes me glad I own a vintage trailer - we have to lock the door from the outside, so we can't get locked out!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Locked in!

1st trip last weekend. Went to leave AS in AM. Door would not open. I will spare the gruesome details of escaping AS. Took lock apart and found 30 year old petrified grease coated with aluminum shavings and broken slide bolt. All repaired now. Works real smooth. Just thought AIRSTREAMERS SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM.Sal and Noreen
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
1st trip last weekend. Went to leave AS in AM. Door would not open. I will spare the gruesome details of escaping AS. Took lock apart and found 30 year old petrified grease coated with aluminum shavings and broken slide bolt. All repaired now. Works real smooth. Just thought AIRSTREAMERS SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM.Sal and Noreen
Glad you were able to breakout. While many get locked out there are a few who get locked in too.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ghlight=locked

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Well I did it last Thursday. I walked out of my Airstream and slammed the door shut after clicking the lock mechanism on.... and realized my purse was inside about a nano-second later.

Well I was laughing at myself by the end of the day - AND the spare keys were reinstalled in a secure and camoflagued spot - and I guess I'll get a second set to secure on the tow vehicle. Hmmm. It's always something.

Paula
Paula.

We have a free lock out kit, that stops that from happening again.

Just send us a SASE with 2 stamps on it, and we will send you that free kit.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Andy I am sending you a SASE (I had to goggle SASE to see what that meant) with the 2 stamps for the lockout kit.. Thanks

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Andy I am sending you a SASE (I had to goggle SASE to see what that meant) with the 2 stamps for the lockout kit.. Thanks

Don
Don.

The kit is designed for newer model trailers.

The 70 and 80's trailer don't have that self locking lock.

Andy
Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Paula
Hi, great story, but Andy, I don't think your lock out protector kit will work when some-one "Clicked the lock mechanism on" on their way out. Your kit is for the accidental lock out, not operator activated.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, great story, but Andy, I don't think your lock out protector kit will work when some-one "Clicked the lock mechanism on" on their way out. Your kit is for the accidental lock out, not operator activated.
If the lock mechanism is turned on, when the door is open, it should not allow the door to properly close.

Andy
Old 04-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Do I need this kit

Andy...I have a 94 Sovereign. I sent you the envelope. No reply. I called about it..no reply. I called in an order two weeks ago and asked again. No reply...did not get the order either. There is a short circuit somewhere.
RC
Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Andy...I have a 94 Sovereign. I sent you the envelope. No reply. I called about it..no reply. I called in an order two weeks ago and asked again. No reply...did not get the order either. There is a short circuit somewhere.
RC
Shame on us.

I will look into this, first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me know.

Andy
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
If the lock mechanism is turned on, when the door is open, it should not allow the door to properly close.

Andy
Hi, Andy; Mine does. I have two levers on the inside door latch, one for the dead bolt and the other for the main latch. I flip the main latch lever all the time and when I shut my door, it's locked.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
What model year Airstreams need the "lock out kit"? And, more specifically, does my '97 limited need one?

Thanks,

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Quote:
Hi, Andy; Mine does. I have two levers on the inside door latch, one for the dead bolt and the other for the main latch. I flip the main latch lever all the time and when I shut my door, it's locked.
Quote:
Every newer-model Airstream on our lot does this. Fortunately, we keep an extra set of keys for them for when a salesman or customer closes the door while locked.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Yes, it is also much too easy for a finger to inadvertently flip the lock when exiting. Spare keys are a must.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote