Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
HELP!!!! We got locked inside our Airstream

We are camping in the middle of a California desert at a wonderful campsite called Agua Caliente in our 2001 30' Excella.

Woke up this morning and the door wouldn't open, which locked up inside.

If you look at the attached photo, you will see the handle is at 2:00 o'clock, instead of 3:00 o'clock and moving it toward 12:00 o'clock, counter clockwise, does nothing.

I had to utilize the emergency exit (that's a story on it's own) to get out and still couldn't get the door open from outside.

Finally we did get it open, but we have another week here camping and want to fix the door if we can and not destroy our trip.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3451.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	254336  
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Looks like you're really in hot water...
Remove the inside lock plate, and bend the catch for it on the main part of the lock toward the inside of the trailer slightly. Then move the inner handle back to its normal 3 o'clock position, and re-attach the inner handle assembly.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Time to exercise the rear escape window. Make sure you bring the keys. Hopefully this works. Overlander knows what he's writing about
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Jim, of all the Airstreams I've owned, I've never had this problem. I think what Overlander is telling you is your best shot. I've had locks that were hard to lock and unlock, and usually, a shot of WD 40 or a good silicone solves that problem....

Good luck

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A frequent culprit causing hard to open doors is having your stabilizers too firmly cranked up. Airstream jacks are to stop the trailer from being bouncy - not to bear the whole weight of the trailer. You actually flex the frame if you crank the crap out of the jacks and the door lock jams. Desert fluctuations in temperature can't help either. One last thing - if you don't close the door firmly enough the lock can stick. Luckily I was outside when it happened to me and my key didn't want to turn until I gave the door a firm bump and it shut tightly.

Can't hurt to back the jacks off a turn or two and try again. Of course lubricating the lock can help too. And Overlander63 - his advice is almost always right on (don't tell him I said it's because he's "gotten so many tee shirts" from his own ... experiments, yeah, that's it. As many kind parents say to a caboose baby, "honey there is a difference between a mistake and a surprise."

Happier trails, Paula
Old 12-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
What was the overnight temperature? Any chance the lock mechanism parts had condensation on them and froze together during the night? I have had this happen in certain residential locks, only to find that all was well in a couple of hours after things thawed out. . . . just a thawt . . .

If so, the next time this happens to anyone, a hot wash cloth held on the inside of the lock will usually transfer enough heat into the lock mechanism to free things up, with a minimum of dis-assembly to test the theory.

Not sure why the handle was at the 2 o'clock position if the catch was stuck the problem . . . ?

PS -- a hair dryer can help rid the lock mechanism of condensation if needed, followed by some careful lubrication inside, with Lock Ease (my personal choice, because the only residue it leaves behind is powdered graphite IMO).
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBeaubeaux View Post
[snip]
I had to utilize the emergency exit (that's a story on it's own) to get out and still couldn't get the door open from outside.
[snip]
I agree, this story might be interesting to hear. I always wondered how an adult of any size would get out one, without help from the outside. I am larger than normal . . .

PS -- any relation to Bobo the Belgian cartoon strip?
Old 12-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Can't use the door , keep using the excape window, fix the door when you get home..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Maybe the locked door was on purpose. aaahhh.. To be in love.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
had this happen a coupla times when my 2005 ccd 25' wasn't level. did manage to get it open without using emergency exit cause I was outside the trailer at the time! 😅 now when the locks are difficult I just adjust the jack a little.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I had the same thing happen in our '67 but the cause was different. Our lock is a Bargman L100-6 with a slide 6" long shaped kind of like a tuning fork. Each leg of the "fork" has a tang on the inner end that a steel cam pushes against. The outside knob causes a cam to push against one tang to slide the bolt back to open the door and the inside knob does the same with another cam acting on the other tang. Springs keep the slide pushed out to engage the pocket in the door frame so the cams are working against the springs each time a knob is turned. The original slide appears to have been made from some kind of pot metal that lasted 45 years but the inside tang broke off one evening and turning the inside knob did no good. The rear window in the bathroom is the escape hatch on this trailer and fortunately the outside knob opened the door with no problem. The problem then became finding the part. A three day search on the internet and many phone calls failed to yield a part or used lock. I had a local machine shop make a new slide using mild steel which cost a little over a hundred bucks, but the door lock is better than new now.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
weyers cave , Virginia
We had a similar situation this summer when overnight several tires lost a significant amount of air pressure, warping the frame and making the door and locks very hard to open and impossible to close. Re-inflating them cured the problem. All four valve stems failed within a couple of days which made for two visits from a mobile tire service. So, check your tire pressures as well!
barticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
You are NOT LEVEL .
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mattituck , New York
We have had the same problem with our 2014 25'
We keep a spare key in the truck and another one secreted.
I am under the impression it's not uncommon.
Comical is a story from another owner that he had to open the rear compartment crawl in and push up the bed from the inside.
darsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
If you are not level, AS are so tight it will put the door in a bind when closed..
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Raymond , Ohio
I got locked inside our "Tin Tipi" this past summer my husband was outside and in a panic as I had just had heart surgery.
I took the inside plate off and removed the handle ,Red then took off the outside knob and used needle nose pliers to open the lock.
Jan Tillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Sorry but, your trailer is hosed..........

I'll take it off your hands for $50.......

NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I got locked out over the summer but for a different reason. Our trailer has a deadbolt lock that is thrown from the inside only. On a rough road it vibrated closed on us leaving us locked out. Had to climb in through the rear and up under the bed. Same thing happened to a friend a few weeks later while on an Airstream caravan but they couldn't get in as easy as I did. They had to remove the door.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
We had the opposite problem. The mechanism that locks the door slid down when we closed the door from the outside. Keys were inside. Only open window was into the bathroom. Husband cut the screen & crawled through. (5'11", 150 lbs, triathlete) Now keep an extra set of keys in the TV.
lindaebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBeaubeaux View Post
[snip]
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Wondering if you have any feedback on what might have caused your problem, including the various suggestions made here and the possibility that the lock internals might have frozen overnight temporarily . . .

Thanks.